3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 8:34 AM by Dave LaRonde

gamma shift in VLC but displays correctly in Quicktime !!

ronfya Level 1

Hi there,

I just finished a project within AE and exported it as H.264 in an mp4 container.

When reviewing the video, I noticed a gamma shift in VLC, DivX player as all the colors appear duller than in AE.

However, the video displays properly in Quicktime 7 and Quicktime X and matches AE.

In order to check some more, I exported the video as a .flv and noticed the same gamma shift in SWF&FLV player and VLC.

The problem is there no matter if I output to sRGB or to HDTV (Rec 709) color space

This is very strange to me since I am aware of the gamma shift issue that plagues Quicktime ... but here I have the opposite situation !!!

I searched the forums and the internet but I did not find anything about this opposite problem.

Thank you for your help !

Some screencaps:

01-color_shift_comparison.png

On the image above, you can see from top left to bottom right (normal reading direction) :

VLC (gamma shift)

Quicktime X (ok)

Quicktime 7 (ok)

DivX player (gamma shift)

After Effects (ok - original)

02-quicktime_is_good_on_colors_with_default_settings.png

On the above image : Quicktime 7 default settings --> color ok

03-quicktime_is_wrong_on_colors_with_gamma_fix_enabled.png

On the above image : Quicktime 7, checked "enable FCP color compatibility" gamma fix --> gamma shift

04-AE_project_settings.png

On the above image : AE project settings

05-AE_output_settings_main.png

On the above image : AE output module settings - main

06-AE_output_settings_color_management_settings.png

On the above image : AE output module settings - color management

The problem is there no matter if I output to sRGB or to HDTV (Rec 709) color space

• 1. Re: gamma shift in VLC but displays correctly in Quicktime !!
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Wow, that's a lot of screen caps! 

But there's one crucial piece of information missing: what are you expected to deliver?  How will your AE work be used next?

You should also be made aware that making H.264 video really isn't AE's strong suit.  If it were my video, I'd render a lossless file in AE, and use something like Adobe Media Encoder to do the compression.

• 2. Re: gamma shift in VLC but displays correctly in Quicktime !!
            ronfya Level 1

My work in AE is the final video and it is intended for the web.

I tried a lossless export and the result of that is that I have a gamma shift directly.

Also, I ran into this thread

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/994565

Where Todd Kopriva says that :

"The QuickTime format can now contain an embedded ICC color profile. But After Effects doesn't know that. There's a feature record in our database to make it so that After Effects does know about this and can embed an ICC color profile into a QuickTime container; I just called the person responsible for that feature and suggested that I thought that it should be a higher priority for future development. So, there's no need for you to file the feature request."

And my video is kinda like it has a profile in it that only Quicktime sees. Not the others players.

well I am confused ...

• 3. Re: gamma shift in VLC but displays correctly in Quicktime !!
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Personally, I wouldn't fool around with those color profiles unless I KNEW I was using footage that required it, and I wouldn't use it when rendering unless I knew that the delivery specs required it.