6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 10:42 AM by Peter Spier

Word Doc PDF in InDesign CS4

?stdsgn

I have a document that contains PDFs of various Word docs (it is a LONG and frustrating story). When these PDFs are revised and I update them in the InDesign file, they tend to re-size, usually larger than 100%. To prevent this, I have tried a couple things - 1) making the picture box the size of the PDF and 2) making the box the size of the page and positioning the PDF appropriately - neither option has worked. Are there other solutions. or is this unavoidable?

• 1. Re: Word Doc PDF in InDesign CS4
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is almost certainly related to your initial choice of crop option when the PDF was placed, how it was scaled in ID, and your choice in the prefs for whether or not "Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking" is checked.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Word Doc PDF in InDesign CS4
            ?stdsgn Level 1

OK. It is cropped to the bounding box. I have been scaling using the direct selection tool so that the PDF is displayed at 100%. When the box is checked, it imports larger than that. When it is unchecked, it is smaller but closer to the appropriate size.

• 3. Re: Word Doc PDF in InDesign CS4

Bounding box is a very elastic dimension. You'd probably want to set the prefs so scale is preserved rather than dimensions in that case so you are not trying to make a new bounding box shape fit into the old frame size the same way.

• 4. Re: Word Doc PDF in InDesign CS4
                ?stdsgn Level 1

Wow! Thank you for your help. I have been placing all kinds of files in CS4 for years and had never run into that until now. Thanks for the education!

• 5. Re: Word Doc PDF in InDesign CS4

Bounding box is the smallest rectangle that will surround the content (and there's not a lot of differnce, perhaps none in most cases, between bounding box and Art box), so if the content moves or changes shape the box also changes. Cropping to Media gives you a fixed size until you change the page dimension. Bleed box would be a good choice if you need to import a bleed as well. Using those you can set to preserve dimensions.

• 6. Re: Word Doc PDF in InDesign CS4

?stdsgn wrote:

Wow! Thank you for your help. I have been placing all kinds of files in CS4 for years and had never run into that until now. Thanks for the education!

You might not have run into it previously becasue in CS3 and earlier there was no option for preseving dimensions -- it was always preserve scale.