8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2011 10:28 AM by Jim Curtis

All of a sudden, I'm screwed.

Jim Curtis Level 3

After virtually falling in love with Pr, it has jilted me, and leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I have a project that I've been working on for about a month.  Pr is becoming less and less reliable.  My list of grievances:

I just exits without warning on occasion.

When rendered, all my images that are scaled to fit the raster, are now suddenly smaller, leaving a black ring around the image edge.

When I try to render the entire sequence, I'm still left with some yellow sections, in addition to green bar on the timeline (So, some shots don't render.).  I cannot play a sequence in real time, because Pr won't let me render it.  This is horrible!

When it does play, my images jump when going from a rendered image (which has scaled itself down) to an unrendered image while playing.

The only way to play a full sequence now is to render out a file of the whole sequence, and play that.  Since my current show is 10 minutes, this is a time-consuming impediment to forward progress.

I have trashed preferences several times.  That's not the problem.

Several issues with both Pr and AME require a reboot of the computer to fix.

Color correction:  no instant updating on my monitor via AJA.  I have to move the CTI to see my changes.  This is deadly slow.

MacPro3,1, 32G RAM, 10.6.8, PrCS5.5.0

• 1. Re: All of a sudden, I'm screwed.
          needles27 Level 3

I've posted in various threads, but I'm there with you.  I realize *every* piece of software and hardware has its issues - some needing more troubleshooting than others - but PPro's balance is too far off...I spend 2/3 of my time troubleshooting and 1/3 of my time editing smoothly (which, when working, is so nice that it keeps me from giving up completely)  It should just get out of the way and let us edit without having to constantly tweak, relearn, troubleshoot, and reinstall.

• 2. Re: All of a sudden, I'm screwed.
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> PrCS5.5.0

First, try installing the 5.5.1 update. It fixes a lot of crashes and other issues.

> When I try to render the entire sequence, I'm still left with some yellow sections, in addition to green bar on the timeline (So, some shots don't render.).  I cannot play a sequence in real time, because Pr won't let me render it.

Which command are you using for rendering? Are you using the Render Entire Work Area command? See this page for the nitty-gritty details about rendering previews.

After you've responded to these queries, we can dig into what's going on with your images rescaling inappropriately.

• 3. Re: All of a sudden, I'm screwed.
              Jim_Simon Level 8

It should just get out of the way and let us edit

On a well built Windows 7 PC, it generally does.

• 4. Re: All of a sudden, I'm screwed.
                ms_edit

Hello All,

I just finished up a feature-length online/grade project in Premiere 5.5.1 and experienced almost constant stability issues.

Premiere would seize up with a "Premire has stopped working" windows message every few hours.

Just as often, I would  have to exit and re-open Premiere after getting "error creating movie" messages when trying to render.

By the end of the project, I was saving about every 10 minutes (which itself took close to 30 seconds because a 90 minute film created a 300MB project file!)

and I usually had to close & re-open every two hours.

And this was on a brand new & well configured Windows 7 system using CPU-only MPE settings & the latest build of Cineform, things were even less stable with CUDA enabled.

I would love to get to the bottom of these stabililty issues. I just need to know where to look in order to provide more info.

Regards,

lumen_actus_edit

• 5. Re: All of a sudden, I'm screwed.
                  needles27 Level 3

Jim,

I'm glad it is working for you well - and for everyone else who has no problems.  I've been a mac user since 1984 and have no plans on changing.  The answer shouldn't be to have to switch platforms to use a system that is marketed to Mac users and after paying $2000. (software plus hardware upgrades)  I know Adobe is working to make fixes, but I think the idea of this thread is to give a place for some (mac) users to show that there are still a host of problems.  Maybe it is just a few vocal posters that are having the issues and not the general user...I don't know.

• 6. Re: All of a sudden, I'm screwed.
                    Steve HomeMovies.Ca Level 1

Perhaps the data-rate of your hard drives is not fast enough ?

Perhaps you can reduce the data-rate of your exports.

• 7. Re: All of a sudden, I'm screwed.
                      ExactImage Level 3

It is perhaps fair to say that the Mac platform is not yet quite as stable as the Windows 7 platform for Premiere Pro.   We have both and have far fewer problems on Windows.   Projects seem to corrupt much more easily on Mac, although weve had the odd problem on Windows, it's always been fixed by finding an offending source file and replacing it.

CUDA has been very stable for us on both platforms.

We're running the Mac on an 8 core 16GB ram (3,1) 10.6.8 with GTX285.  We did find a bad RAM chip that caused us some issues a few months ago, and once replaced it seems to have settled most things down.  However, merging projects on a Mac seemed a little bit of a lottery, which projects becoming corrupted about 20% of the time.  We've yet to see the problem on Windows.

• 8. Re: All of a sudden, I'm screwed.
                        Jim Curtis Level 3

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

> PrCS5.5.0

First, try installing the 5.5.1 update. It fixes a lot of crashes and other issues.

> When I try to render the entire sequence, I'm still left with some yellow sections, in addition to green bar on the timeline (So, some shots don't render.).  I cannot play a sequence in real time, because Pr won't let me render it.

Which command are you using for rendering? Are you using the Render Entire Work Area command? See this page for the nitty-gritty details about rendering previews.

After you've responded to these queries, we can dig into what's going on with your images rescaling inappropriately.

I'll try upgrading to 5.5.1 again when I'm between projects.  Don't want to attempt it now.   The first time I did it, I got bad mojo and reverted back to 5.5.0.  May have been a combination of factors.

As far as the render bar thingy, I think you figured me out, Todd.  I was NOT using the Render Entire Work Area command, as you suspected.  Once I figured that out, I did as you did, and mapped that command to Shift-Return.

I don't see my scaling issue addressed by the notes for the 5.5.1 update.  But, I'll let you know if updating the app fixes it after I've made the jump.  Thank you.