12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2011 5:16 AM by MichaelBuieFilms

New Hard Drive configuation recommendation; what to do?

MichaelBuieFilms Level 1

Currently I am at:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---

C: 1.0 TB 7200 (System/OS)

D: 1.5 TB 5400 (Office/Data)

E: 1.5 TB 7200 (Old projects I may have to revisit)

F: 2.0 TB 7200 (Clone of my working projects on G:)

G: 2.0 TB X 2 = 4 TB 7200 Raid 0 (Current projects/Cache/Scratch)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---

H: DVD/CD R/W Drive

I:  DROBO FW800/USB with four 2.0 TB 5400 (5.4 TB usable) for Offline video project and critical files storage

(I can run 6 physical INTERNAL hard drives)

I am about to acquire two 300 GB WD VeliciRaptor 10K RPM  drives

Should I do one of these options (or you tell me something completely different to optimize my system) :

C: 2 X .3TB = .3 TB 10,000 RAID1 for Mirror/Safety (System/OS)

D: 1.5 TB 7200 (Office/Data)

E: 2.0 TB 7200 (Clone of my working projects on F: )

F: 2.0 TB X 2 = 4 TB 7200 Raid 0 (Current projects/Cache/Scratch)

I: DROBO FW800/USB with four 2.0 TB 5400 (5.4 TB usable) for Offline video project, old projects I may have to revisit and critical files storage

C: 2 X .3TB = .6 TB 10,000 RAID0 for SPEED and a little more room to avoid fill-rate degradation (System/OS)

F: 2.0 TB X 2 = 4 TB 7200 Raid 0 (Current projects/Cache/Scratch)

I: DROBO FW800/USB with four 2.0 TB 5400 (5.4 TB usable) for Offline video project, old projects I may have to revisit and critical files storage

C: 1 X .3TB 10,000 (System/OS) (a little tight)

F: 2.0 TBX 2 = 4 TB 7200 Raid 0 (Current projects)

G: 1 TB X .3TB 10,000 (Cache/Scratch)

I can go on and on. Pick a flavor. Or give me another variation.

What would be the best utliation of the drives I will have and available slot for 6 SATA drives?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: New Hard Drive configuation recommendation; what to do?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Here's what I'd go with, using the current hardware.

C: Windows and Programs - 300GB

D: Projects - 1TB

E: Scratch - 1.5TB 7200

F: Media - 2 TB

G: Exports/Images - 1.5TB

H: Office/Data - 1.5TB (5400)

Drobo - Archives

Here's what I'd go with adding a new case to hold more drives, and an Areca RAID controller card.

C: Windows and Programs - 300GB x 2 (RAID 1 on mobo)

D: Projects/Scratch - 1TB

F: Media - 2 TB x 3 in a RAID 3 on the Areca

G: Exports/Images - 2TB

H: Office/Data - 1.5TB (5400)

Drobo - Archives

• 2. Re: New Hard Drive configuation recommendation; what to do?
            MichaelBuieFilms Level 1

I'm sorry ... I should have mentioned I'm trying to optimize performance with the drives.

I notice you didn't RAID anything in your first configuration. And you discarded two of my 2 TB drives and one of the 10K VelociRaptors.

Also, please note that I am getting about the same performance/responsiveness with rendering/editing when I put Project/Cache/Scratch on the 7200 RPM RAID 0 as as when I split the Cache/Scratch and the Project files on two separate 7200 RPM 2TB non-RAIDed drives.

Thanks for responding!

• 3. Re: New Hard Drive configuation recommendation; what to do?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              I notice you didn't RAID anything in your first configuration.

Yep.  Not enough room in the case.  The spread of functions offers good performance, without the inherent dangers of a RAID 0.

And you discarded two of my 2 TB drives and one of the 10K VelociRaptors.

Again, not enough room.  That's why I added the second option.  Bigger case, more drives, now you can have RAID (with speed and data security) and the spread of functions.

• 4. Re: New Hard Drive configuation recommendation; what to do?
                MichaelBuieFilms Level 1

Thanks again for responding, Jim.

I have room in my case; I already have six drives in my case.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------

D: 1.5 TB 5400 (Office/Data)

E: 1.5 TB 7200 (Old projects I may have to revisit)

F: 2.0 TB 7200 (Clone of my working projects on G:)

G: 2.0 TB X 2 = 4 TB 7200 Raid 0 (Current projects/Cache/Scratch)

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------

Then, I have four 2TB drives in my DROBO.

• 5. Re: New Hard Drive configuation recommendation; what to do?
                  MichaelBuieFilms Level 1

I could forego the faster OS drive speed (best that buys me is boot-up time and opening an application, right?) and try maximizing my video production performance this way (unless someone shows me a better idea):

Using 6 available drive connections

D: 2.0 TB 7200 (Office/Data)

E: 2.0 TB X 2 = 4 TB 7200 Raid 0 (for Cache/Scratch and Projects I may have to revisit)

F: .3 TB X 2 = .6 TB 10,000 RAID 0 (Current projects)

I:  DROBO FW800/USB with four 2.0 TB 5400 (5.4 TB usable) for Offline video project and critical files storage

The beauty of this configuration is:

Nearly 600 GB 10K rpm RAID 0 is enough for several concurrent running projects, where the cache/scratch point's to the bigger 4TB RAID 0.

Then, I archive recently completed projects I may need access to drive E: (not ready to have to dig out of external storage), but the config still points to the cache/scratch location.

So, projects would be on a superfast 10K RPM RAID 0 HDD, and cache/scratch/swap file on a fast, and larger 7200 RPM RAID 0 HDD .

• 6. Re: New Hard Drive configuation recommendation; what to do?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    I have room in my case

For six drives, you said.  That's the first config.  The second needs 8 bays.

The DROBO is for offline archiving in both scenarios.  Once, you're done, put stuff there in case you ever need it again.

• 7. Re: New Hard Drive configuation recommendation; what to do?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

(unless someone shows me a better idea):

Both options I suggested are better.  Neither uses RAID 0.

• 8. Re: New Hard Drive configuation recommendation; what to do?
                        MichaelBuieFilms Level 1

Jim - I appreciate your feedback and hope my posts don't sound combative or anything. I'm just trying to get clarification.

1. When I said I can do six drives, I meant SATA connections available for hard drives. Don't consider physical space for hard drives an issue ...  I have more than enough space for physical drives

2. I have to question your statement: "Both options I suggested are better.  Neither uses RAID 0"

I am trying to get better performance for editing. RAID 0 is undeniably faster for rendering media and files, processing cache/scratch files, conforming files and previewing.

So, I am trying to understand why you say NOT RAIDing drives is a better solution towards optimizing processing of video in Premiere Pro.

Thanks, man!

• 9. Re: New Hard Drive configuation recommendation; what to do?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

For scratch (previews and such), I don't have an issue with RAID 0.  My concern was that all your configs had "current projects" also on a RAID 0.

That would not be my preference.  Project files are best on a RAID 1, second best is a single drive.  RAID 0 for anything you don't want to lose - I'm not a fan of the idea.

The problem is still the 6 drive limitation, though.  If you could lose the Office/Data drive (which ideally is best put on a whole different computer), you'd free up a port for the RAID 0 scratch drive.

• 10. Re: New Hard Drive configuation recommendation; what to do?
                            MichaelBuieFilms Level 1

Thanks, Jim, for your response.

I will reasearch it .. but am  missing something here? Is RAID 0 somehow less safe than running a single drive? I know it's nothte security of RAID 1 obviously. But, I didn't know it was any less safe than a single drive.

Oh .. and Office/Data (I actually label the drive "Main1.5TB) is for other things I work on frequently like documents, spreadsheets, music projects, Multitrack recording, Graphics, etc. Moving it to another computer is not an option for me.

• 11. Re: New Hard Drive configuation recommendation; what to do?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

A Raid0 is better called an Aid0, since it lacks redundancy. It improves transfer rates over a single disk by almost a factor N, where N is the number of drives in the Aid0, but at the same time increases the risk of complete data loss by the same factor N. So with 2 disks you double the chance of data loss, with three disks you triple the chance, etc. That is the reason why many shy away from Aid0 and instead opt for either mirrored or parity raids. For background, look here: Adobe Forums: To RAID or not to RAID, that is the...

• 12. Re: New Hard Drive configuation recommendation; what to do?
                                MichaelBuieFilms Level 1

Thanks again for a clear and complete explanation, Harm

As for data loss, while I'm sure I miss some things in between, I move all of my archived projects to the Drobo, which has redundancy built in. My current projects I save to another internal drive. If push comes to shove, my current projects I also save the mini-DV tapes in boxes. So, worst case scenario for video is I lose a week or so of work, unless my house burns down.

I don't do off-site storage.  

My most vulndreable position I'm aware of is my system drive failing (or motherboard ... or something else that require a system rebuild) and the time it would take me to recover, but I think I just fixed that by installing Ghost. I just haven't tested that it works in practicality.