19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2012 1:26 PM by Darren Kelly

Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?

JPGARNIER

I am looking to expand my desktop from 2 monitors to three but still get the plusses of CUDA and hardware acceleration. Does anyone know what options I have? I have a Matrox MXO2 mini on the system for HDMI output to am HD flatscreen, but would dearly love the extra real estate of a third 21" monitor. My curreent card is not officially capable of hardware acceleration. It's a GTX 280. I was looking at the GTX 590. THoughts on if that sucker would work for me?

Appreciate the assist!

• 1. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
          Jim_Simon Level 9

In order to get hardware acceleration, you need nVidia.

In order to get 3 monitors, you need 2 cards in SLI mode.

I don't know if the SLI will affect the hardware acceleration.

• 2. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, the GTX 590 will not work It is like two GTX 580's in SLI and that is not allowed by Adobe.  Then unless your GTX 280 is a nonstandard configuration it should work.  The GTX 280 is a CUDA card and the standard cofiguration is 1 GB of video RAM.  That is all that is required.  I believe the solution for a triple-headed card is to use two nVidia CUDA cards with the required 1 GB of video RAM that use the same driver.  You then need to designate the one that you want to use for MPE hardware acceleration. 

My early testing has shown me that while you can use the GTX 280 that the newer cards like the GTX 570 and GTX 580 perform better than the 200 series and the 400 series CUDA cards

• 3. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
              Jim_Simon Level 9

I believe the solution for a triple-headed card is to use two nVidia CUDA cards that use the same driver.

True, but according to nVidia, they'll need to be in SLI mode so the system sees one card.  I think it's a little different than using 1 for "desktop" and 1 for "video output".  (That's based purely on reading, though.  I've never tried it.)

• 4. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
                Frédéric Segard Level 2

I'll have the answer tomorrow (or Friday), but I believe the Asus Matrix GTX580 can have 3 separate monitors, providing one of them is using the display port.

• 5. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
                  JPGARNIER Level 1

In one ASUS review, they stated that while the Matrix GTX580 has 2-DVI, 1-HDMI, and 1-Displayport... only two displays can be active at anytime. If you have any updated info that would be great. I'm using an ASUS P6T mobo, Win7Pro 64-bit, 12GB RAM, etc... What do y'all think if I replaced my GTX280 card, with two GTX570/580 cards without SLI enabled. Do you think that would work? If I kust enable MPE for one of the cards?

• 6. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

What do y'all think if I replaced my GTX280 card, with two GTX570/580 cards without SLI enabled. Do you think that would work?

That is the way others have done it and reported about on this forum. You do need to indicate one card as the MPE card.

• 7. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
                      JPGARNIER Level 1

Just checked prices... two 570/580 cards would be cheaper than 1 590! All I have to do now is see how they would physically fit inside the system unit. I may need additional cooling! Dang it!

Thanks, Harm.

• 8. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Do not forget your PSU. Two of those cards are really power hungry.

• 9. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
                          Jim_Simon Level 9

That is the way others have done it and reported about on this forum.

If I'm not mistaken, the way others have done it is not the way this poster wants to do it.  He wants three desktop monitors.  I believe others have been using one of the cards just for video out, not to spread the desktop.  If I understood nVidia correctly, for three desktop monitors, you need SLI mode - which means the system sees only one card.

• 10. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
                            JPGARNIER Level 1

I have three monitors that I want for the desktop real estate. My MXO2 mini device sends HDMI video out to an HD flatscreen TV for video monitoring. I want to simply expand the desktop. In essence I'd have three 22" RGB monitors and one 36" HDTV.

I've got a plan to do that now that may not cost me an arm and a leg. I still need to upgrade my video card from the GTX 280 to something beefier, and I can still keep my more than adequate PSU without having to upgrade it as well. I can wait just a bit on that. I've got a friend who just a few moments ago said he'd let me borrow a simple little USB2.0 to DVI adapter to connect my third monitor. It supposedly supports resolutions up to 1920x1200. If it works, my setup will only cost me about an additional $100US (until I upgrade the video card, that is!) Heres the link to the device of which I speak: http://www.startech.com/AV/USB-Video-Adapters/Professional-USB-DVI-External-Dual-or-Multi- Monitor-Video-Adapter~USB2DVIPRO  If it works, I'll post the info here.

FYI, my plan is to have the Premiere timeline on one monitor, the clip bin, effects panels, etc on another, and the audio mixer on the third with room for a browser window or other application available. I could also move things around and have Photoshop or After Effects available too. 

Thanks for all the information y'all have posted! I really do appreciate and am thnkful for the knowledge y'all possess!

• 11. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
                              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I have another client who uses the USB video adapters and they cause issues with the Nvidia drivers. I would suggest not getting it. That is verified with Nvidia's Latest driver as well.

2 Video cards in independent mode is what is required for 3 or 4 monitors or the 590. I would just go with the 2 video cards if your PSU is big enough. Also the second video card can just be a 520 card which is very cheap and more than enough for output. You want to try to avoid using a 500 series card with a 200 series card because it can have issues with some boards and drivers.

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
                                JPGARNIER Level 1

I received the USB to DVI adapter yesterday and installed it. I made sure that the nVidia drivers and the USB/DVI drivers were updated. Installed, updated, and reboot. The third monitor works like a charm at full resolution! The nVidia card (still the GTX 280) is working without hiccups so far. I'll have to see what it does in the long run, but I nothing so far. Premiere CS5.5 sees the video card for MPE and Photoshop, AE, etc. seems to have no issues with the USB/DVI device.

My only issue now is that to drag my mouse across three screens (5760 pixels) takes a helluva long time! At least now I can have my timeline on one screen, Audio mixer and clip bin on another, program monitor on a third, and video out from the MXO2 mini onto an additional HDMI monitor. I've saved between $400-$800 with the device! Now if I can only convince the boss (wife) to let me upgrade my HDMI monitor...

well, one can dream, can't he?

• 13. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
                                  JPGARNIER Level 1

OK, it's been a while and I have found issues with the DVI-USB adapter for the third monitor. (He hits himself in the head...) The video playb ack would stutter, MPE usaga would be useless and slower than not. The Matrox MXO2 mini would also suffer with playback and rendering. I've removed the drivers and the adapter and everything works as planned. I will reuse the adapter on another system so it isn't wasted. I'll just have to buy another card for the third monitor. Ah well, live and learn.

• 14. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
                                    Darren Kelly Level 1

I've been using 2 Nvidia cards in my system.

1. Nvidia GTS 570 as the primary card powering 2 monitors and the Mercury Playback Engine.

2. Nvidia GT 210 Silent - powering one DVI monitor, which I have selected as video out in preferences.

The system is mostly stable in this configuration. I would like to move to an Intensity Pro, but can't get anyone from Black Magic to verify their card will work in my system.

I am thinking about the USB - DVI adapter. Could be a good idea.

Hope this somehow helps

Cheers

DBK

• 15. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
                                      JPGARNIER Level 1

OK, update... The USB-DVI adapter... a no go.

I purchased a GTX 580 AND a GT 520 card. The GT 520 can support the third, and maybe even a fourth monitor in the future. Adobe MPE is supported by the GTX 580 at a BLAZINGLY faster speed than the old GTX 280 card I was using. Matrox MXO2 mini rendering on the HDMI monitor doesn't seem to be affected in the least... at least not yet. I'll post again if this changes. Also, BTW, I will be installing the MAX amount of RAM in my system to see how that helps Premiere and AE when it arrives tomorrow. That'll be 24GB on an ASUS P6T mobo.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

• 16. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
                                        Darren Kelly Level 1

I have now added to my sysytem a 4th monitor. It's an LG LED monitor fed by HDMI off the 210.

Pictures are amazing. No slow down in speed. I'm sure the 520 could do the same thing.

I tried to make the Intensity Shuttle work. Turns out my MB wasn't compatible. It seems to support only older MB's. What a waste of $$ and time that was.

I don't think I will try Black Magic's other products at this point, and keep my system the way it is.

DBK

• 17. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
                                          JPGARNIER Level 1

New issues erupt. I use a Matrox MXO2 mini for video out via an HDMI monitor. Editing with Matrox has become sluggish at times forcing me to restart the machine. Simple realtime playback via the MXO2 has stutters in it. There is a conflict, I believe between the MXO2 mini and the two video cards. I tried uninstalling the Matrox board to see if MPE rendering would work, but the different slow down issues have occurred. I am going to do the following to troubleshoot and get the best performance:

1. Remove the GT 520 card from the system altogether and unintstall the MXO2 mini

2. Test the system on the GTX 580 alone.

3. Reinstall MXO2 mini

4. Test the system with GTX 580.

I'll repost the results later. So... I'm still looking for a triple monitor solution, with a fourth monitor being the output from the MXO2 mini. Any answers out there for me?

• 18. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
                                            davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Can't speak to the Matrox, but I've got a GTX 580 in my #1 PCIe x16 slot, which runs my primary two monitors and provides my CUDA acceleration. I've also got a GTX 285 in the #5 PCIe x16 slot (not connected with the SLI cable), which powers a third HD monitor. My two primary monitors show my full desktop, with the left monitor holding the primary Adobe workspace and the right monitor holding my triple scopes for CC. Then I've got the playback monitor set to also play on my third monitor (which is full HD), running off the GTX 285... so I've got three monitors, one of which is a full HD preview, and two cards, without SLI, and with CUDA support provided by the 580... If the fourth monitor is a must, the 285 could drive the fourth monitor for me as well, negating the need for a Matrox box.

• 19. Re: Triple monitor Card for CS5.5?
                                              Darren Kelly Level 1

That's how I do it too, except I'm using a GTX 570 and a GTX 210

Works just fine.

I tried a Decklink shuttle intensity, but it works with few chipsets, not mine.

I'm thinking of an intensity pro card, but can't get anyone to say it will work

D