14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2011 5:58 AM by the_wine_snob

Changed operating systems cannot open files

The great dog Chippie

Changed from Windows  XP to windows 7.  Used easy file transfer and also backed up video files to expansion hard drive.

Reloaded premier Elements 4, then when I tried to open files I keep on getting " Where is the file rendered?" then when I select the files they all say "file format not supported/One of the necessary components may have not been installed"?

Any ideas?

Specs: Quad CPU Q9400@2.66GHZ, 4.0 RAM 32 bit operating system 500 GB Harddrive

Thanks

• 1. Re: Changed operating systems cannot open files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you say "reloaded Premiere Elements 4", you mean you re-installed it, right? You didn't just use file transfer to move it from one computer to another.

If so, what are the media files you are trying to load? It's possible your new computer doesn't have the codecs installed yet.

Have you made sure your new computer has the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

Also, remember that version 4 was technically not designed to run on Windows 7 -- especially if you are using the 64-bit version of the program. It may well be worth picking up version 10.

• 2. Re: Changed operating systems cannot open files
            The great dog Chippie Level 1

Hi Steve:

I tried premier 10 and the same messages appear.  I Have the latest Quicktime. Before  I installed Windows 7, I saved my  video files to a removable hard drive. I also used windows file transfer to move all the files over to the removable hard drive.  When I installed windows 7 and ran 10  and tried to open my video files, it said file formats not supported.  Where do I go to find an expert to help.  Does Adobe provide help. I am in Australia?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Changed operating systems cannot open files

Something is definitely not right, Chippie.

When you say "open" your video files, you actually mean "import into project", right? You know you don't use File/Open to open video. You go to Get Media/From Files and Folders to import the video into your project.

Can you give me an example of a video file you're trying to import? What is its suffix? What model of camcorder did this video come from?

For help, you can start with my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials. I've also got books available on Amazon and at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

Beyond that, you can try contacting Adobe Tech Support.

• 4. Re: Changed operating systems cannot open files

Hi Steve:

Ok here goes.... when I open up a new project and use the get media tool to open up my files, I get the add media dialogue box that lists only the folders Adobe Premier elements Preview files, Encoded files, layouts and media Cache. The file type says " all supported files"  My files are not shown. When I change  "all supported files" to "all files"  then My files come up and I can see them.

Now when I try to open them up  I get a message box that is labled " add media failure" In the dialogue box it lists My file I am trying to open "DRP shoulder taping.prel"

It then says "error message This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed."  If the required codec is missing how do I get it and is this the problem?

Thanks

Kevin

• 5. Re: Changed operating systems cannot open files

If your files aren't showing until you select "Show All Files" it means that they're not supported media files.

What are the suffixes of the files you're trying to open with Get Media?

You do know that .prel files are project files, right? You open them using File/Open.

Files you open using Get Media are media files, such as .avi, .mpg, .jpg, .wav, .mov, etc.

• 6. Re: Changed operating systems cannot open files

Hi Steve:

Regardless whih way I do it. I get the same message.  The files are .prel  I could not open them in PE 4.0 or 10.0.

• 7. Re: Changed operating systems cannot open files

Please answer my questions about the file types, Chippie. It's hard to tell what's going on without having all of the information.

You say you are trying to open .prel files? Those are Premiere Elements project files. You open them by going to File/Open. But they aren't universal. You can't open just any .prel with just any version of the program.

Try creating a new project. Then add media (.avi, .wav., and/or .jpg) files to it using Get Media.

Does that work?

Now close it and reopen it using File/Open.

• 8. Re: Changed operating systems cannot open files
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are getting the "Where is file _____ ?" dialog, then PrE is not able to follow the links to those files, that are in your PREL. This ARTICLE goes into more detail. Initially, you will get "Where is file ____ ?" and if you Skip, or Offline, Save that Project, then you will get the "Media Offline" measage the next time that you Open the Project.

This ARTICLE might also be useful, as it explains what is inside of a PREL (Project) file.

As the links to files in the PREL are Absolute, the Path MUST match 100%. If anything changes, like a drive letter, then one MUST relink the files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Changed operating systems cannot open files
                          Aniks Level 2

Chippie wrote:

when I open up a new project and use the get media tool to open up my files, I get the add media dialogue box that lists only the folders Adobe Premier elements Preview files, Encoded files, layouts and media Cache. The file type says " all supported files"  My files are not shown. When I change  "all supported files" to "all files"  then My files come up and I can see them.

Now when I try to open them up  I get a message box that is labled " add media failure" In the dialogue box it lists My file I am trying to open "DRP shoulder taping.prel"

If you want to open your previously created projects (.prel files) you dont need to create a new project and then import that file.

Just Launch PRE and open your project:

If you launch using welcome screen > choose Open Project and browse your .prel project.

If you are directly in the application window > choose File>Open and choose your .prel project.

The Get Media is used to import videos/photos.

Hope This Helps...

Aniks

• 10. Re: Changed operating systems cannot open files
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Aniks,

Unless it has been added with PrE 10, there should not be an option to Import an existing Project into a New Project. That is a capability in PrPro. In PrPro, the Import Project function can be useful, if a Project has slight corruption, but it has not been an option in PrE. If this option has been added to PrE 10, I will learn something new this morning.

In the OP's case, my guess is that with the system changes, the drive letter, for the Assets has changed, so that absolute Path is now broken/changed, and the easiest way to handle that change is via the file Finder in PrE, to help the program locate the new Path for those unlinked Assets, and re-establish the Path in the PREL's links. This should be a one-time operation, unless something changes with that Path in the future.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Changed operating systems cannot open files
                              Aniks Level 2

Yes, I agree Bill. there is NO option to import an existing project into a new project.

That is what I meant to say previously. Probably I was not able to communicate it properly.

I said "If you want to open your previously created projects (.prel files) you DON'T need to create a new project and then import that file."

I should have stressed more on DON'T.

Sorry if I was not clear.

Aniks

• 12. Re: Changed operating systems cannot open files
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that clarification.

I'm waiting for a new 64-bit laptop, before installing PrE 10, so I can be a bit more current on this forum, and wondered if PrE 10 had added the Import Project feature, that PrPro has had for years.

Greatly appreciated,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Changed operating systems cannot open files
                                  Aniks Level 2

Currently, in PRE 10, there isn't any import Project feature unfortunately. Although that indeed is a great feature in PrPro and makes so many things lot easier. Lets hope they give it soon in PRE also..

Aniks

• 14. Re: Changed operating systems cannot open files
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, it is a Feature Request that I have made over time, along with Sequences and Track Locking (also in PrPro), but then I try to temper my requests, by reminding myself that Adobe has a "price-point" to hit, and that with the price differential, there SHOULD be differences between PrE and PrPro - still, there are some good features, that would be useful in PrE too.

Hunt

BTW - over the years and versions, I have seen many, who would like a few of PrE's features included in PrPro too.