9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2011 6:44 AM by becky1131

Sending images...

becky1131 Level 1

Not sure if this is exactly the correct forum for my question...perhaps should have been Photoshop one..

But I sent some images as jpg's to a colleage recently and she has told me that they are having trouble opening them, I think because they are too large, (I took them with the camera that is 14mp)

so its taking far too long for them to load and open, if they do open at all.

I have opened them in photoshop and then under Image Size have reduced them to 30% and re-seved them again as jpg's.. will this be better at all?

Because I still want them to be a fairly good quality, although they are only for opening and viewing on screen..not for printing off or anything like this..

Thank you

• 1. Re: Sending images...
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Having trouble opening them in what?

You haven't really given us any useful information for us to help you.

• 2. Re: Sending images...
            becky1131 Level 1

Well, they get sent to various people, so they will have to open the images in the programme they have on their computer,

jpg's can be opened in various programmes can they not??

• 3. Re: Sending images...

jpeg can be opened in quite a large variety of programs. Are you hearing the complaint from everyone? That would imply a problem with the files. but if only some people have a problem that implies a problem either with systm configuration on their end, the method they've chosen for opeing the files, or possibly damage to the files in transit (though that is more likely to prevent them from opening at all).

• 4. Re: Sending images...
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You say you want them good enough quality and that you reduced them by 30%.

But that doesn't tell us anything really - unless I work it out myself.

Well - 14mp is roughly 4500px x 3100

But you haven't said if it's RAW or in JPG?

Well if it's already JPG then it will be 72 ppi I presume

So at 4500 x 3100 it would be 4500/72 and 3100/72 = 62.5 inches x 43 inches

Reducing this by 30%

= 44 x 30.1 inches

but this is still at 72 ppi

Is it for Print or Web?

If it's for Web then these are HUGE (3150 px wide (where the average res of a monitor is about 1200 - 1920 px wide))

If it's for print - then 44 inches @72 ppi is fine for Large Format (like signage - but honestly you would should send the largest you have available)

But if it's for a magazine then you need to change the 44 inches @ 72 ppi to 300 ppi

Which would give you 10.56 inches x 7.2 inches

Which is about the size of an A4 page.

• 5. Re: Sending images...
                  becky1131 Level 1

Basically they are being sent as attatchments to emails, so only need to be opened and viewed on screen.

So is a jpg the best way to do this, and what is the maximun bytes it should be to open on an average run of the mill computer so the file is not too large??

• 6. Re: Sending images...

For an email attacment that just needs to bee seen on screen, jpeg is a fine format. make a copy and reduce the dimensions to around 1024 pixels wide and see how it opens on your system in a generic viewer like Preview on Mac or Windows Picture Viewer.

It's impossible to predict the final file size for a jpeg before you compress it, but you want to shoot for a file measured in kilobytes, not megabytes, to send as an attachment.

• 7. Re: Sending images...
                      becky1131 Level 1

Okay, thank you for the help

, and when the jpeg options box appears (whn saving from photoshop) is it okay to save as medium or low quality?

I have tryed one and saved as medium quality, and this makes a file size of 147 KB .. so this should be fine for people to open and not too huge?

• 8. Re: Sending images...

Should be fine. If you're happy with the quality at medium, go for it. That's better than many images on the web.

• 9. Re: Sending images...
                          becky1131 Level 1

okay thank you Peter!