6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2012 12:43 PM by Frustrated in AZ

Ebook

intheloungeroom

Have downloaded a   .acsm file for ebook.

How do I convert to  .pdf  or .epub file?

DJ

• 1. Re: Ebook
          Dietra1971 Level 1

Hi, I have the same question... sort of...

I bought a .acsm file for an ebook. I also installed the Adobe Digital Edition, so I could download the file.

Thing is... it converts it into an Epub book. But I have a Kindle at home, so now I still can't put my Ebook on my Ereader.... so how do I change it into a PDF file?

• 2. Re: Ebook
            Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Seems like you're new to this ebook business.  There's a few things that

you should be aware of.

Amazon locks its Kindle ereaders to its website.  Adobe Digital Editions

does not work with Kindles for that reason.  So, if you buy an ebook

somewhere else, you're pretty much stuck to reading it on your computer

after Digital Editions formats it for you.

When you go to download the ebook, you should be looking to see if it can

be downloaded in another format like .pdf.  If you download it in .epub, I

am not aware of any conversion software that will reformat it into .pdf -

and you'd think that Adobe could do that, since it owns the .pdf format.

Some independent sites will download ebooks to your ereader directly - in

Kindle format no less.  However, the ones I've come across don't sell the

latest and greatest ebooks.  Gutenberg.org has a very large collection of

classic titles, and it will download in Kindle format, though.

Hope this helps!

=====================

• 3. Re: Ebook
              Dietra1971 Level 1

Hi, yes I understand that Amazon locks its Kindle ereaders to its website. But Amazon is one of the largest internet-shops around, so a lot of people do buy their books there.

But in this case it's Adobe Digital Editions that is dictating what books I'm allowed to read and not Amazon. Adobe is the one saying "if you buy a Kindle, we won't allow you to read these books". Where I'm in the belief that I should be allowed to decide that for myself. I accept that Kindle does not read Epub format. It does however allow for a lot of other formats. In case you didn't know... Sony does also not allow for all formats to be put on the Ereader. So what does that say about Sony then?

So I don't see why Adobe won't allow for the converting of an Epub to a PDF format (whjch is also an Adobe format). I bought the book, so I should be allowed to convert it to a format my Ereader can use.

• 4. Re: Ebook
                Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Before you go off on a tangent, please remember that Adobe Digital Editions

is designed to operate with industry-standard files and software.  Amazon

has chosen to use different software to link its ereaders to its site.

Adobe isn't dictating what ebook sources you can use, but Amazon is.  SONY,

B&N, WH Smith and others  use industry-standard formats with some 'twists',

and Adobe Digital Editions can interface with them because the 'twists' do

not affect the industry-standard material.  The 'twists' are intended by

their respective sources to encourage owners of their hardware to stay

loyal to their websites.

================

• 5. Re: Ebook
                  Dietra1971 Level 1

Ok you are just confirming what I already said.... All producers of E-readers, make sure their E-readers are compatible to certain formats. And I think there probably is not a single E-reader out there that is compatible to all existing formats.

That makes sense and is understandable. Since they all would prefer that you buy the books at stores that they favor.

Maybe Adobe doesn't agree with Amazon's version of this policy. But how is Amazon's policy different from Sony's policy. Ah wait... because in the case of Sony and those others they are called "twists", but when Amazon does it, it's wrong :-).

Whatever you wanna call it, is really besides the point. They all do it in one way or another. And as said that is understandable.

My only problem here is that Adobe decides to not stay neutral in it. Probably because the kindle happens to not be compatible with Epub, which I admit is annoying. My problem is that I'm apparently not allowed to convert my file to a compatible format. And it's Adobe that is not allowing it. Both Epub and PDF are Adobe formats from what I understand. So what's the big deal if I want to convert it to a file that I can read on my E-reader? That's the part that I don't understand.

Is it wrong for me to prefer the kindle over the sony?

• 6. Re: Ebook
                    Frustrated in AZ Level 4

The discussion can get complicated from here, but I'll take another shot at

it.

I used the word 'twists' as a substitute for technical terms that describe

the inclusion of proprietary software code with a string of

industry-standard code.  With that said, Amazon has adopted a different

format to remain proprietary.  That's not right or wrong, it's Amazon's

choice.

Ond of the most confusing parts of this saga is that Adobe's .pdf file

format is considered an 'industry standard' format.  However, we tend to

assume that, because it is, Adobe Digital Editions can use that format with

no problem.  Not so.  ADE's development specifications was frozen at a

particular point, and many more advanced features of .pdf are not

included.  The Help section (F1 key) explains this.  In essence, ADE does

not include all functions of Adobe Reader.

The .epub format is another story.  I'm not sure of the particulars, but it

is an industry-standard, and ADE works with it, just as other epublication

software does (Bluefire reader and Overdrive come to mind quickly).

I think you're leaping to a conclusion when you ask why you can't just

convert from format to format.  You may be able to, but the Digital

Millenium Copyright Act of 2000 puts some restrictions in place when you're

starting with some copyrighted material.  Take a look around and see if you

can come up with a conversion program.

==================