2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2011 9:23 AM by schreiter

get video dimensions

how do i get video width and height?

Ive set up the simplest of all video players just using a mediaContainer and mediaPlayer.

mediaContainer width and height are set to 640x360px (16:9).

when i load a 4:3 video i know that the video is set to 480x360 to maintain the aspect ratio.

But as i am working with a dynamic size for the video player i am searching for an easy way

to get the size of the current video. I know that i could do it by taking the aspect ratio of the

video from the metadata and calculate the size by myselt, but there must be an easier way to do it?!

• 2. Re: get video dimensions
          schreiter Level 1

Thanks for the quick answer.

This is either not what i was looking for or i might be to stupid right now

This is what ive done:

private function playSingleStream(source:String):void

_streamResource = new StreamingURLResource(source, _streamType, start, _streamEnd);

_streamResource.urlIncludesFMSApplicationInstance = true;

_streamElement = new VideoElement(_streamResource, _netLoader);

_streamElement.smoothing = true;

_streamElement.addEventListener(MediaElementEvent.TRAIT_ADD, traitAddHandler);

_mediaPlayer.media = _streamElement;

private function traitAddHandler(e:MediaElementEvent):void

if(e.traitType == MediaTraitType.DISPLAY_OBJECT)

var t:VideoElement = e.currentTarget as VideoElement;

var dp:DisplayObjectTrait = t.getTrait("displayObject") as DisplayObjectTrait;

dp.addEventListener(DisplayObjectEvent.MEDIA_SIZE_CHANGE, mediaSizeChangeHandler);

private function mediaSizeChangeHandler(e:DisplayObjectEvent):void

i am still only getting the original size of the video in mediaSizeChangeHandler.

also the MEDIA_SIZE_CHANGE is not triggered when i resize the videoplayer although video the video

is definitly resized because it is displayed in correct size and place.