7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2011 1:15 AM by Stephen_Spider

Is AMD competitive?

smileybkw Level 1

Okay, so just yesterday bought the components for a new build:

Intel core i7 2600K chip

Asus P8Z68-V motherboard

Nvidia GTX560 video card

16 GB Corsair Vengeance memory

OCZ 60 gig solid state drive for OS, 2x Deskstar 7K3000 1.5 TB drives for storage & scratch / cache

Win7 Pro

But still wondering if an AMD chip is an option.  I used to love AMD's and used them in every build I did for almost 20 years from the late 80's to the mid 2000's (had a K6 and an Athlon, then an Athlon 64).  But when I did my build early last year, just couldn't consider the AMD's and went with a core i7-920 instead.

But with the 6 core and 8 core AMD's out, is it worth considering this time around?  Based on my (pretty limited) knowledge, video editing & rendering seems like exactly the sort of multitasking activity that should really benefit from the additional cores, but has that really been demonstrated in real-life applications?  Looking at Harm & Bill's benchmarks, the AMD's aren't very well represented, but is that because they really perform that poorly or because Intel has a huge portion of the marketshare right now?  Thanks for any advice!

• 1. Re: Is AMD competitive?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Even the octo core Bulldozer is no match to the i7-2600. It is still left behind, despite all the cores, at least that is what I have seen from benchmarks all over.

AMD's are not very well represented in the PPBM5 benchmark, because most do not consider it an alternative for an Intel CPU and the results prove that AMD is not up to Intel, a situation that appears to continue with the latest Bulldozer CPU.

• 2. Re: Is AMD competitive?
            Jim_Simon Level 9

I've seen the same as Harm.  The Bulldozer benchmarks still aren't up to an i7 2600K.

• 3. Re: Is AMD competitive?
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

So far the internal testing on the 6 Core Bulldozer is horrible. It is really not even outperforming the previous gen AMD 6 core. I would highly recommend staying Intel at this point. I am really wondering if AMD ran into the brick wall of RISC.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Is AMD competitive?
                smileybkw Level 1

Bummer, since I'd love to see AMD do well, simply to prevent Intel from having a complete monopoly and from charging as much as they want without any pricing pressure at all.  Thanks for the great responses, everybody!

• 5. Re: Is AMD competitive?
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Well what amazes me about the Brick walls CPU manufacturers run into periodically with architectures is they dont see it coming 3 or more years before when the actual chip development period normally starts for each release. It seems each time either company runs into one they run to many further releases of that spent architecture before a new one that really offers a major performance increase hits the market. Why reduce revenue gradually over a several year period that is really hard to gain back versus a larger revenue loss over 6 months to a year just not releasing a new model of the spent architecture and wait for the new one that really jump starts performance and development and of course long term revenue. The art of CPU development is long term planning and it seems only Intel has changed their policies around this. You would think the very concept of RISC would really benefit Parallel Processing which you would think was why AMD bought ATI but who knows.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: Is AMD competitive?
                    RjL190365 Level 4

What's worse, the "octo-core" FX-8150 is barely competitive with even an i5-2300 - and costs more money than its Intel competitor, to boot. Heck, even an i5-2500K often outperforms that FX-8150 and still costs less. What a ripoff BD is (at least in its current form)!

Also, this is a sign that AMD's best CPU designers and engineers left the company a few years ago - and were replaced by people who are just plain lazy.

• 7. Re: Is AMD competitive?
                      Stephen_Spider Level 3

I'm all for AMD processors, just not in my editing rig.

I'm glad that they pushed Intel for a while, and I'm glad Intel seems to have remembered the lesson.

And I love, love, love mac AMD fanboys.