7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2011 10:03 PM by smartwebby RSS

can't paste with transparency into fireworks

excelcius Community Member

Im trying to paste an image from photoshop into fireworks with a transparent background but when I do it fills in the transparency with white, I don't have this problem with any other program including photoshop. How do I stop fireworks form adding this white background every time I paste into it.

Thanks

• 1. Re: can't paste with transparency into fireworks
          smartwebby Community Member

Hi,

Have you tried opening the PSD in Fireworks instead of pasting into Fireworks? Take a copy of the PSD and open it in Fireworks - Use 'Maintain Photoshop Layer Appearance' in the File Opening Options while opening the PSD.

- Anita

• 2. Re: can't paste with transparency into fireworks
            Jim_Babbage Community Member

Is the Photoshop file you're copying in RGB format, or another color space? If it's not in RGB that could be the issue. As Anita says, try opening the PSD in Fireworks instead.

HTH

• 3. Re: can't paste with transparency into fireworks

I didn't know I could do that with PSD files so its useful to know thanks , but it's not really convenient in this instance. The problem Im having is for some ungodly reason Adobe has seen fit to use second rate Image compression in Photoshop even though they use decent image compression in Fireworks and Im using CS5.5. So I have to copy Images from my photoshop comps into fireworks and save them from there, the quickest way is to copy and paste.

Opening the PSD file in fireworks and selecting and saving from there is very awkward and inconvenient for my work flow when Im used to using photoshop and Fireworks has a different interface, it kind of makes Photoshop redundant not being able to save to png, jpeg in files small enough for the web direct from my comps. Using two completely different pieces of software to accomplish something so simple is just insane and having just tried it, it's not recognising my layer masks amongst other problems I really need a solution this is gona cost me a lot of time in the long run, any help much appreciated.

• 4. Re: can't paste with transparency into fireworks

Yes it is in RGB Its either a problem with the clip board or Adobe software in general because I have the same problem when I paste into Illustrator.

• 5. Re: can't paste with transparency into fireworks
                  Jim_Babbage Community Member

Can you share the file - or something that is similar? I'd like to have a look and see if there's a workflow you can use.

I'm not sure how much different the workflow will be if you open the PSD's with Fireworks rather than copy/paste. Other than the Photoshop Open/Import dialog, you're not really presented with any thing in Fireworks you aren't already using for Optimization.

Also, are you aware of the Batch Process Command for Fireworks, which can be invoked from Adobe Bridge? In Bridge, select the files you want to optimize, then choose Tools > Fireworks > Batch Process.

FW will launch and you can use the Batch Process wizard to export out your files in the format of your choice.

A third (but very roundabout) way is to open Dreamweaver and insert your PSD as an image file, into a web page. This automatically launches the Fireworks Optimization tools, so that the PSD can be converted to a web-useable graphic.

• 6. Re: can't paste with transparency into fireworks

Thanks for your help I did try the batch process earlier and after a little confusion discovered Export/custom so that would probably be the best route to take. but I don't want to give Adobe the impression that saving files in Photoshop with an unnecessarily high files size, is anything short of insane and isn't a problem, knowing what Adobe is like I wouldn't be surprised if come CS29 the root of this problem still hasn't been fixed, even with batch conversion it seems a little convoluted. I just cant believe they still haven't fixed it, I can only assume there are a lot of Photoshop users with unnecessarily bloated web sites completely oblivious to what Photoshop is getting up to behind their backs lol

• 7. Re: can't paste with transparency into fireworks
                      smartwebby Community Member

lol - Yes its high time its fixed.

- Anita