3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2011 2:29 PM by MT.Freelance

formatting text in a table

rakataks-IHr58k

Hi,

I’m trying to create a table from data I already have. I’ve been able to successfully import/place it from Excel and also copy it from Word and then convert it to a table. I’ve created and applied a table style, a cell style and a paragraph style.

The problem I’m encountering is that although the paragraph style changes the alignment and indents within the cells, it doesn’t follow the paragraph style’s font size, color, and font style (regular, italics, etc). I’ve created and applied other cell styles but it seems to be doing the same thing (following alignment changes but not size, color changes).  In fact, sometimes it changes them to a completely different paragraph style’s size, color, style, which I don’t think I’ve applied to the table at any point in the process.  What am I doing wrong??  When I tried to give up and just change it manually by selecting all the table cells, it only allows me to edit the table cell values, not the font within.

On a side note, I was also wondering how to link the table to my excel file so that when I make changes in the excel file it allows me to update it in InDesign.  I feel like I’m placing it without specifying something.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

• 1. Re: formatting text in a table
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In my experience, it is not unusual to have to reapply styles to table cells.

• 2. Re: formatting text in a table
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would agree with Peter. That's been my experience as well.

• 3. Re: formatting text in a table
              MT.Freelance Level 4

If you are applying style to table text, it should pick up all the styles that you have selected. If it is not, then it is likely that there are rogue character styles or manual formatting still applied to the text.

Select some of the text and look at your paragraph style panel. If it shos a "+" next to the name of the style, then there are other elements conflicting with the style. You can fix this by selecting the text and/or cells with the text, and Right click on the paragraph style. From the contextual menu, select :apply style and clear overrides". 

This should clear out any manual formatting overrides. If the problem persists, you can select the option to clear overrides and character styles.

As for linking the tables in InDesign and Excel, it IS possible, but you have to ensure that the styles in your InDesign file are named identical to the styles in the Excel file... If they are not, then whenever you update the Excel file and then refresh the link in InDesign, all your text styles will change (where the names do not match).

HTH

PS: I have used preformatted tables in InDesign with paragraph styles applied and pasted data from Excel into them without issue and without having to reapply styles to the table cells.

-mt