1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 21, 2011 11:44 AM by John Hawkinson

Extracting page numbers with XML

VeterVe

Hey guys -- Long time lurker, first time poster.

This is a sort of involved question, so please bear with me.

I work for a company that produces book catalogs. These catalogs can contain anywhere from 600 to over 4000 different titles and every catalog requires a fairly simple index (every book is listed with its author's name next to it and what page it shows up on).

We currently use EmData to import our .XLS files and EmCatalog to export page numbers back to those XLS files. We then run the new index data through EmData again to generate our styled index.

However, there are two problems with this:

1. Once you run your data through EmData, you essentially lose any ability to make changes to the original data file.

2. EmCatalog is overly complex for our simple indexes and also blocks the ability to make changes after its been used (because its not dynamic).

This can lead to catastrophe if data needs to be changed late in the process. If a single book moves from one page to another, our whole index data has to be regenerated from scratch. It's overly rigid and feels pretty ridiculous.

I would like to be able to keep the data file linked within inDesign and then add page numbers to that data. So if any changes to the data are required, we don't have to go all the way back to the beginning.

XML seems to be the first step, but after that, I keep running into brick walls.

Any ideas or help at all would be unbelievably appreciated.

• 1. Re: Extracting page numbers with XML
          John Hawkinson Level 5

I would like to be able to keep the data file linked within inDesign and then add page numbers to that data. So if any changes to the data are required, we don't have to go all the way back to the beginning.

XML seems to be the first step, but after that, I keep running into brick walls.

It's probably not, why do you think it would help?

I suppose I'm flying a bit blind since I'm not too familiar with EmData's capatability,

So, you have an InDesign file with 600-4000 catalog entries and you need an index. Does InDesign's indexing feature not work for you?

What would you want in XML output, and what would you do with it afterwards?

Why can't you take the EmCatalog XLS file and merge the index page number column back into the original XLS input file and re-import that?

You're trying to get rid of EmData and EmCatalog both? And use Data Merge? Or...? A screenshot of the document and the index would help us picture what you want...

1 person found this helpful