3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2011 6:03 PM by [scott]

ID 7.5.2, Free Transform, and Text boxes

[scott] Level 6

Help please. I must be missing a pref or something.

IDCS4 -> Text set in a text frame.
      Use the Free Transform tool to rotate the text frame
      and the text rotates with the frame.

IDCS5.5 -> Text set in a text frame.
      Use the Free Transform tool to rotate the
      text frame but the text does not rotate with the frame.

I'm looking for CS4 behavior when using the Free Transform tool on text frames.

I figure it's got to be a preference or something simple I'm missing. But for the life of me I can't find it. Searching these forums turns up nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac OS 10.6.8/ID 7.5.2

• 1. Re: ID 7.5.2, Free Transform, and Text boxes
          [scott] Level 6

Hmm... seems there's been an addition to the standard Selection tool and rotating via that tool works. Although it requires much more attention to where you click to start the rotate.

So, I assume the Free Transform tool now only alters text frames and not any text within the frame. Is that correct?

• 2. Re: ID 7.5.2, Free Transform, and Text boxes
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Free transform rotates the frame and the text for me.

Bob

• 3. Re: ID 7.5.2, Free Transform, and Text boxes
              [scott] Level 6

Okay, I've figured it out.

I have a habit of hitting... a.. then e.. on the keyboard from years of Illustrator use. (Direct Selection tool, then Free Transform tool)

So, if you have the Direct Selection tool (the white arrow) active, select the text frame, then select the Free Transform tool .... only the frame rotates. Text will stay perpendicular to the page.

If you have the Selection Tool (the black arrow) active, select the text frame, then select the Free Transform tool... both text and frame will rotate.

This is new to ID CS5.x. WIth IDCS4 it made no differnce which selection tool you used to select the text frame.