5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2011 4:45 AM by ajmayjnr

Submitting a Form via email to Excel

ajmayjnr

Hi All,

I have a question Google searches has been unable to answer.   I need to have a form subit data via email and the recipient receive it as Text (tab dilimeted or excel whatever) as they don't need to process orders that are saved in a PDF (printing the PDF out each time is a waste of paper as its 4 pages long but the data wouldn't take up that much space).

Anyone have insight on this?   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ant

• 1. Re: Submitting a Form via email to Excel
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Will the recipient have Acrobat installed?

• 2. Re: Submitting a Form via email to Excel
            ajmayjnr Level 1

They do, but they aren't tech savvy.  Ultimately I would love it to be independent of Acrobat...

• 3. Re: Submitting a Form via email to Excel
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It's possible to do it even if the user does not have Acrobat, but it

requires a custom-made script. The recipient doesn't need Acrobat nor

Reader.

If you're interested, you can contact me personally to discuss it further.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Submitting a Form via email to Excel
                George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The problem is form data isn't exported in the format you want when a form is submitted. Options include "HTML", FDF, and XFDF, each of which would have to be parsed and converted to the form you want. Acrobat can do this for you (e.g., Forms > Manage Form Data > Merge Data Files into Spreadsheet). Otherwise, you'd have to create a program or script that reads the data files and does the conversion.The HTML and XFDF options can be processed programmatically fairly easily with readily available tools/code. FDF is more difficult to parse programmatically, mostly because the tools are lacking. Adobe still makes the FDF Toolkit available, but no longer updates or supports it, and it may not run on recent OSes.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Submitting a Form via email to Excel
                  ajmayjnr Level 1

OK, Try67 got close in helping but unfortunately when testing on the ipad it isn't working - shame as it was a good solution unitl that point by taking all the form entires and adding them as text to the email.  Hopefully I can utilise the script try67 wrote in the future or something.  But for now, I am stil stuck on this.  Anyone else have anything?  Ive run out of budget on this one so hoping someone here would be kind enough to assist.