5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2011 9:11 PM by Ian9114

Renders Fail When Rendering To C: Drive

Ian9114 Level 1

Hey Everyone,

I've got a problem I haven't encountered before, so I thought I'd ask for some help.

I recently upgraded my machine and now have an SSD as my C:/ drive for OS and Programs as well as a directory for current projects.  I also have a RAID 0 drive for storing the majority of my data.

If I try to render a comp onto the SSD, it fails every time right at the beginning.  I don't get any errors with it, and the logs say nothing. Multi-processing on or off doesn't matter.

If I render to the other drive, it works fine.

Can anyone tell me why my renders might be failing?

Thanks,

Ian

System Specs:

After Effects CS5.5

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Core i7 920 @ 3.0 GHz

12GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 260 Graphics Card

240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD

3 x 1TB Hard Drives (RAID 0)

• 1. Re: Renders Fail When Rendering To C: Drive
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It cannot reserve/ lock enough disk space in time for the file. Probably related to your SSDs cacheing and how SSDs work in general - for a large file, it would have to reorganize a considerable part of its memory blocks.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Renders Fail When Rendering To C: Drive
            TimeRemapper Level 4

Also, do you have adequate permissions to render to the target directory?

• 3. Re: Renders Fail When Rendering To C: Drive
              Ian9114 Level 1

Mylenium wrote:

It cannot reserve/ lock enough disk space in time for the file. Probably related to your SSDs cacheing and how SSDs work in general - for a large file, it would have to reorganize a considerable part of its memory blocks.

Can you expand on that, or send me a link with some info?  I'd be very interested to understand the problem a bit better.

TimeRemapper wrote:

Also, do you have adequate permissions to render to the target directory?

I have full administrator rights. I checked permissions for the folder and everything is fine.  Just for grins, I tried taking ownership of the folder (and all subfolders) to my user instead of administrators.  It still fails, but now I get this error message:

After Effects error: Rendering error while writing to file "C:\Users\Ian\Current Projects\FOLDER_NAME\FILE_NAME". Unable to open file. (-1610153459)

I took ownership back to Administrators, but it still gives the same error message.

Thanks guys,

Ian

• 4. Re: Renders Fail When Rendering To C: Drive
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'm not sold yet on the virtues of SSD's.  You may be reluctant to do so, but why don't you try saving the renders to your RAID for diagnostic purposes?

• 5. Re: Renders Fail When Rendering To C: Drive
                  Ian9114 Level 1

Dave LaRonde wrote:

I'm not sold yet on the virtues of SSD's.  You may be reluctant to do so, but why don't you try saving the renders to your RAID for diagnostic purposes?

I have been rendering to the RAID drive for my current projects, which is fine.  I'm just wish I knew why I can't render to the SSD. 

As far as the merits of SSD's go, I am very happy otherwise with my purchase.  Everything is snappy and quick.  I now have relieved any bottleneck in pulling footage from the drive.  Now I am limited by how fast AE can put those footage pieces into memory and manipulate them.  I have noticed in several render tests that if I set my memory to higher frequencies, I get faster results.