7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2011 1:50 PM by Steve Grisetti

slideshow pixelation

marcgol

I have just downloaded a trial of Premiere Elements 10 for my iMac to use in making slideshows of still photos with the Pan & Zoom feature. I have used iMovie and get results that have what I call a shimmer and was told that Premiere Elements was better. I tried a test with 4 photos and the results were horrible! Not only simmering, but terribly pixelated even without Pan & Zoom. What am I doing wrong? The photos are JPEG 4000x3000 with a pixel aspect ratio of 1. I thought that it might just be the preview, but tried making a MPEG movie and the results were the same. Please help!

• 1. Re: slideshow pixelation
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Remember that the slideshows you will create in Premiere Elements will be in video resolution: 720x480 non-square pixels. So there's no point in putting 4000x3000 photos into it. You'll still only get the equivalanet of 640x480 square pixels out.

In fact, we recommend no using photos larger than 1000x750 in Premiere Elements. That will give you the highest quality slideshow with the most efficient workflow. For best results, I also recommend in my books right-clicking on each photo on the timeline, selecting Field Options and setting them to Flicker Removal. This isn't necessary, but it will greatly reduce any shimmer you're seeing.

Finally, remember that since your final result is video resolution, your final slideshow is never going to look at good blown up to full-screen on your as your original photo. Video just doesn't work that way.

But you should see cleaner results if you output an MOV rather than an MPEG.

• 2. Re: slideshow pixelation
            marcgol Level 1

Thanks for the speedy response. I tried resizing the photos to 1000x750 in Photoshop Elements and then I imported in Premiere and then when I drag to the timeline, the images are blurry. I then tried Pan & Zoom and flicker removal and created a MOV - the result was a blurry movie with flicker! What am I doing wrong? Using iMovie, I get too much flicker, but nowhere near the problems I've encountered so far in Photoshop.

• 3. Re: slideshow pixelation

Once you add photos to your timeline you need to render them (as indicated by the red line above them on the timeline). Press Enter.

When the red line turns green, your slideshow will look much more like your finished video.

But if you're outputting and MOV, looking at it at 100% (not full screen) and it STILL looks pixelated, something is wrong. It should not look pixelated when viewed at 100% (not full screen).

Can you post a short MOV in our Gallery so we can see what you're seeing?

• 4. Re: slideshow pixelation
                marcgol Level 1

Thanks again. Your hint on rendering and flicker removal took care of the pixelation and flicker! However, I still have a problem that I hope you can help me with. I understand that the video will never have the same resolution as the still photo, but I have made slideshows in the past, created a DVD, and shown them full screen on a TV, with much better resolution than I appear to be getting with Premiere.  I assume there must be some settings or properties that will get me better resolution. However, I am a novice with Premiere and don't know what I can do to improve my results. Any help would be appreciated.

• 5. Re: slideshow pixelation

Have you played the DVD produced by Premiere Elements on your TV and standalone DVD player yet? It should produce at least as good quality as any other video slideshow maker. (As I've said, there are a number of reasons you won't be able to judge the quality when you play it on your computer.)

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: slideshow pixelation
                    marcgol Level 1

Steve - thanks again! You have been a great help. I viewed my test movies on the TV and they were fantastic. I'll probably be back on this forum in the future as I get further into Premiere Elements.

• 7. Re: slideshow pixelation

Glad we could help you out, Marc. Happy moviemaking!