11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2011 9:19 AM by M Blackburn

Urgent - help needed in order to complete brochure by end of today..

mot4 Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to finishing designing a brochure in Indesign. When I import a cut out image from photoshop into Indesign it always gives it a white background, how do I remove the white background? help desperately needed, deadline 4 this is the end of today..

Thanks,

mot4

• 1. Re: Urgent - help needed in order to complete brochure by end of today..
          Michael Gianino Level 4

There are a few ways to go, but if you didn't create the images, or if you don't have a way to edit them, you could try Object>Clipping Path>Options. If there is a clipping path in the image, you could choose it. If there isn't, you could try Detect Edges and see how it looks. If you can open the images in Photoshop, or what ever program created them, you would have a few more choices on how to prepare the files for use in InDesign.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Urgent - help needed in order to complete brochure by end of today..
            M Blackburn Level 3

First question would be whether or not you have a transparent background in the Photoshop file.

• 3. Re: Urgent - help needed in order to complete brochure by end of today..
              mot4 Level 1

Yes I do, I take the image say of a piano (thats what we are dealing with here) cut it out of its original background and save this as a PSD file, I then drag this from Bridge into Indesign, or from Photoshop itself into Indesign and it gives it a white background?!? So yes I do have transparent background in the photoshop file...carry on...

• 4. Re: Urgent - help needed in order to complete brochure by end of today..
                M Blackburn Level 3

Whether I drag such a file from Bridge or use the place command it maintains the transparent background.

At the risk of causing offence, are you sure the background is actually transparent? Are there any other layers? Is there a background layer (that would by default filled with white). Do you see the transparency grid in Photoshop?

• 5. Re: Urgent - help needed in order to complete brochure by end of today..
                  mot4 Level 1

Worry not no offence caused - I'm new to Adobe products so bit of a greenie! Thankful 4 all the advice. Um, yes the background is transparant. I have a layer called Layer 0. It was a pic of a piano in our showroom, I used the quick selection tool to cut it out and then refined the edges. I can't explain the next bit I tried to send a screen shot but it wouldn't upload. Basically in this Layer 0 I have the original piano picture linked to the layer mask. When I drage this piano into Indesign it immediately gives it a white background! So if u understand all the gabble is the background transparent? i think so...

• 6. Re: Urgent - help needed in order to complete brochure by end of today..
                    M Blackburn Level 3

For the record. I have an image in Photoshop with a white background. That is the only layer, there is no layer named background. I make a selection of the image, then click on Make mask. I then have one layer, with a black mask with a white cutout, and the area around the image shows the transparency checkerboard.

If that's the same as what you're doing, I'm at a loss as to what could be going wrong.  EXCEPT unless it's the obvious. Does the InDesign frame that holds the image have a white fill perchance? It could have been set by default.

• 7. Re: Urgent - help needed in order to complete brochure by end of today..
                      mot4 Level 1

Sorry, thanks for your persistence, it is just the same for me yes...The Indesign frame sounds a possibility, when I drag and drop from photoshop, the picture (gets a white background) but it has two diff. frames, green and pink..sorry to be so ignorant...is this anything to do with it? How could you change the white fill settings?

• 8. Re: Urgent - help needed in order to complete brochure by end of today..
                        M Blackburn Level 3

The pink frame, isn't really a frame at all, it is the extent of the image, the actual Photoshop file. You access this either with the Direct Selection Tool or the with the Selection Tool by grabbing the Donut.

The image "frame" is inside an InDesign frame, which when selected, will show as whatever colour the layer it is on uses. It is that frame that is likely to have a fill (you can't apply a fill to the Photoshop image itself). To check whether or not a fill is applied, select the frame with the Selection Tool -- anywhere BUT the donut -- and check the swatches panel. If it shows paper, that means it's gonna be white. Click on none.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Urgent - help needed in order to complete brochure by end of today..
                          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Use the Black arrow (Selection tool) to select the frame. The White arrow (Direct Select tool) selects the content. With the frame selected, set the fill color to [None].  I have to say, though, that it requires a LOT of work and planning ahead to get anything other than a fill of None in an image frame. You must either be placing into a pre-existing frame that has a fill applied, or you must use an undocumented feature to create a special object style to add a default fill to a new image frame created on the fly. Out of the box, image frames are ALWAYS no fil, no stroke when drawn, regardless of what might be set for default stroke and fill applied to shapes.Dragging from Bridge should be giving a default frame unless you drop inside something pre-drawn.

You said you have a transparent Layer 0 in Photoshop. Do you have more than one layer? If so let's try turning off everythign except the piano. Right click the image in ID and choose "Object Layer Options" and you can turn inidvidual layers on or off in ID. Try turnning off visibility for everythign except the layer with the cutout piano.

• 10. Re: Urgent - help needed in order to complete brochure by end of today..
                            mot4 Level 1

Well thanks everyone, I finally sussed it.

i worked out i actually had two problems: I was using the selection tools incorrectly for the frames and this was causing part of the problem so thanks for you patience M Blackburn and thanx Peter..But to Micheal the detect edges was the key, after i had fiddled around with the settings I managed to get it to do what I want it to do ....but it was a combination of both so thanx everyone....

mot4

• 11. Re: Urgent - help needed in order to complete brochure by end of today..
                              M Blackburn Level 3

I  suspect that you are confused.

Detect edges would only be necessary if the image was NOT cropped with a with a mask in Photoshop as you said it was. So you haven't sussed out your problem as much as you've used an intermal InDesign solution (ie you've made a new mask, or more accurately a clipping path, in InDesign) that likely isn't as good as what you have already supposedly done in Photoshop.