18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2012 5:14 AM by honzacz

Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2

nnkknn

Hi folks, I need some help determining the issue for a constantly crashing Indesign CS5 7.0.4 (English) on OS X Lion 10.7.2. I have submitted the crash log to Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/PGtMjjAU. It seems that the crash occurs when Indesign calls the code to obtain/check the license. [Note that the CS5 Design Standard I run is fully licensed. Photoshop and Illustrator do work properly.]

So far, I have tried to completely uninstall CS5 using the uninstaller provided by Adobe and then to start Indesign before and after applying all current patches through the Adobe Updater. However, the behavior is still the same.

I have checked the permissions of the Adobe Indesign preferences folder and ruled out problems with the SING plugin. Also, I have unsuccessfully tried to start Indesign after replacing Indesign's com.adobe.amtlib folder by the one from the Photoshop directory.

I already observed the same crashing behavior before updating to Lion 10.7.2, so it should have nothing to do with the update. While none of my ideas have helped, running Indesign on the Guest account does  work!

Thanks for any help or pointers.

• 1. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If it works in one account but not another, it's a problem in the account profile where it doesn't work. Start with trashing the prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

• 2. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2
            nnkknn Level 1

Hello Peter, thank you very much for your suggestion. Unfortunately, deleting the user preferences does not resolve my problem; the trace from the Crash Reporter looks the same. In fact, it seems that InDesign crashes before it can recreate the user preferences. Is there anything else I can try?

• 3. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2

John should be awake soon. He's out Mac crash expert. I looked at the report, and my impression is that there's a problem reading the licensing, but I'm not sure on Mac which folder that would be. I suspect this is a permission issue, though, and that your regular account doesn't have the required permission for the licensing.

• 4. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2
                wjnp2000 Level 2

Hi everybody,

Once I have the same problem. I resolved getting out all plugins, trashing the prefs and turn the InDesgn on. Then works. After I was putting folder by folder of plugins till I found the one that crashes.

This plugin crash after many freezes.

After I updated to 7.5, this plugin turn it on again and works fine.

I hope it helpfully.

Wagner

• 5. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Whoops, sorry. Unfortunately being awake doesn't translate into always paying attention to all threads.

wjnp2000: It would probably help other users if you mentioned which plugin you removed that caused the problem. That way when others find your thread and a similar crash, they can benefit from your efforts.

Peter: I'd agree it looks licensing related, but there are several additional strange things about the crash. The last half of the stack is in "dyld," rather than "com.adobe.InDesign." dyld is the operating system's dynamic loader. I guess it loads a bunch of modules before it even jumps to the main InDesign module and starts executing it. And, I guess, it can execute some initialization code for those modules before it is done loading them (this is totally different from the initialization code that InDesign executes for each plugin after it loads the plugin).

So, I dunno what further to say  on the crash, but I guess there's not much to worry about since the problem is solved.

• 6. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2

John Hawkinson wrote:

So, I dunno what further to say  on the crash, but I guess there's not much to worry about since the problem is solved.

I don't think so. The OP is nnkknn and I don't see an indication fom them that the problem is solved.

My next wild stab in the dark attempt would be to delete the entire Adobe folder (or at least the InDesign section) in the user library (NOT the system Library), but I'm no Mac techie.

• 7. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

I don't think so. The OP is nnkknn and I don't see an indication fom them that the problem is solved.

Oh, I'm terribly sorry! Thanks, Peter, for pointing that out, clearly I was not reading carefully.

Re-reading: umm. Umm, umm, umm.

Well, something is very wrong here. It could be file permissions maybe (maybe).

nnkknn, can you tell us whether this ever worked? Do you have /tmp/amt3.log and /tmp/swtag.log? The former should give you some idea of the behavior of the AMT licensing library.

Because the crash occurs in a framework loaded by the dynamic linker, I wonder if looking at the dynamic linker's debugging would help. In the Terminal, try starting InDesign this way:

cd "/Applications/Adobe InDesign CS5/Adobe InDesign CS5.app"
                      DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES=1 "Contents/MacOS/Adobe InDesign CS5"

You should get a lot of output about loading libraries. (There are a bunch of other debugging flags for dyld. "man dyld" provides a pretty long list).

But this is somewhat uncharted territory.

Oh, I suppose there might be errors from the installer that were reported but were not fatal?

Examine ~/Library/Logs/PDApp.log. Also /Library/Logs/Adobe/Installers/Adobe InDesign*

They are .gz compressed files, so you'll need to decompress them to view them.

• 8. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2
                        nnkknn Level 1

John, thanks for your post! As far as I know, InDesign CS5 has never worked for me since I have updated to Lion by doing a clean install of OS X. I did not notice this right away, because Photoshop started up okay, so I assumed the other programs of the suite would, too.

Before performing the steps you mentioned, I uninstalled the Creative Suite (with 'Deactivate' license), ran the CS Cleaner Tool and deleted all other CS5-related preferences files I could find. Additionally, I cleaned out the dyld shared cache. Then, I redownloaded the CS5 Design Standard installer and installed CS5 with the default options. Note that I'm using only the stock plugins and have no additional fonts, except the MS Office for Mac fonts, installed. Here's what I could gather from the logs:

PDApp.log - http://pastebin.com/9KHtgNqA - contains no warning/errors related to InDesign; install log CS5 Design Standard 5.0 10-21-2011.log - http://pastebin.com/LqmNVKKz - shows no errors, only unrelated warnings.

dyld output - http://pastebin.com/bV0G0SWS - shows exception after fully loading the adbeape.framework library; the crash report - http://pastebin.com/GkN2qBWQ - still has the crash at com.adobe.amtlib

After trying to run InDesign as the first of the CS5 programs, amt3.log has not been created at all; swtag.log - http://pastebin.com/4ZrdPEL6 - exists and shows no warnings/errors or crashes.

Then, I tried to run Photoshop: It starts just fine and dyld has no trouble linking the com.adobe.amtlib library: http://pastebin.com/E5XYTB5n. Photoshop also creates the amt3.log file - http://pastebin.com/LBnJKjCU - whose messages indicate that the CS5 Design Standard is licensed and was sucessfully validated/activated. swtag.log was updated, but contains similar messages to http://pastebin.com/4ZrdPEL6. However, InDesign still crashes.. Updating the whole Creative Suite to the latest patch doesn't help.

Can you spot anything in the logs?

• 9. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2
                          John Hawkinson Level 5
                          PDApp.log - http://pastebin.com/9KHtgNqA - contains no warning/errors related to InDesign; install log CS5 Design Standard 5.0 10-21-2011.log - http://pastebin.com/LqmNVKKz - shows no errors, only unrelated warnings.

I guess, in retrospect, this is unlikely to be an issue since it works on your guest account.

I don't see anything that looks wrong in PDApp.log, but there are a few lines that you can find if you search for "FATAL" and "ERROR." I would tend to assume they are not in fact fatal errors, but they are there...

Comparing your dylib output to mine, it's not terribly enlightening. I don't have a Lion machine to test on, but under 10.6.8 many of the same modules are loaded in slightly different order from yours. For me, adbeape is loaded on line 140 but amtlib was loaded at line 131. That's not very helpful, however. I don't think it necessarily indicative of a problem. Minor variation of module loading order seems totally fine, especially if your system is running a different major version of the operating system.

It's also not surprising that amt3.log is not created -- after all, the AMT library hasn't successfully been loaded. Oh well.

I suggest another strategy -- there is something account-specific causing this, so let's find out what it is.

Move the contents of ~/Library into ~/Library.bak, and restart. If fixed, then move them back piece by piece (well, half by half). If not, err, well, all the rest of the directories under ~ must then be suspect. Etc.

Do you have any weird environment variables set? Perhaps as reported by "env" at the Terminal.app prompt? Do you have macports or fink installed?

I assume you properly restored ID's com.adobe.amtlib folder?

I guess you could try setting DYLD_PRINT_APIS=1 or maybe DYLD_PRINT_INITIALIZERS=1. More voluminous but maybe more relevant?

Can you spot anything in the logs?

In short, no I can't. I would try divide-and-conquer on your homedir, because I can't think of anything more solid. Though some of the above debugging might give something useful [but I wouldn't bet on it.].

Good luck! This is a weird one.

• 10. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2
                            eselqueso

I was having the same problem and I found the answer in another forum: http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/8715 . Christian Correa's suggestion to fix the permissions for the preferences folder stopped the crashing completely and I am up and running again.

• 11. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2
                              John Hawkinson Level 5

Huh. Well, if indeed the permissions on the Preferences folder are wrong, definitely fixing them would help things.

I'm kind of having trouble imagining what could possibly lead them to be broken, but I guess that's one of life's little mysteries...

• 12. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2
                                Mkersh Level 1

I am getting approximately the same error when I start InDesign CS5... It prompts me for multiple Plugin errors, (5 or 6 of them).   If I take out all of the plugins, it loads properly.  I uninstalled the entire Suite and re-installed, now it does not "crash, it prompts me regarding bad plugins. If I click og to continue, it continues and will load.

Is this the reason they came out with CS5.5?

• 13. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2
                                  John Hawkinson Level 5

I am getting approximately the same error when I start InDesign CS5... It prompts me for multiple Plugin errors

No, no you are not getting the same error.

Plugin errors are not being discussed in this thread. Please open a new thread for your thoroughly unrelated problem.

• 14. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2
                                    Mkersh Level 1

John,

Firstly, Plugin issues were mentioned several times in this thread.

When this problem first occurred here, under "user a", I was getting almost the exact error that was listed in the thread, when I opened InDesign.  When I logged in under the Admin, I did not get the crash, I got Plugin error messages, which when I click OK to, it then lets me open InDesign.

I then uninstalled the entire suite, and re-installed it.  I now do not get the crash , but I get the plugin errors under both users.

Because both the error and the plugin issues were mentioned in this thread, as were "user differences"I included my post because they seem related.

• 15. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2
                                      honzacz

Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask if the original poster, nnkknn, managed to solve the issue...I am currently experiencing exaclty the same behavior with ID CS5.5 Trial on a Lion machine, so I was wondering if someone figured out how to solve it...

Thanks!

• 16. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2
                                        John Hawkinson Level 5

I suspect a permissions issue, but please upload your crash report to http://pastebin.com/ and post a link here.

Similar crash reports are not always the same.

• 17. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2
                                          nnkknn Level 1

Hello honzacz, I was unfortunately not able to solve the problem. In fact, I downgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 lately and this problem has gone away. Good luck with fixing yours!

• 18. Re: Indesign CS5 7.0.4 crash on OS X Lion 10.7.2
                                            honzacz Level 1

John: see http://forums.adobe.com/message/4171446#4171446. I think that a permission issue would be traced using Instruments.app, however, when I ran InDesign with instrumentation for filesystem access and general read-writes, there was no activity regarding some folders that would be inaccessible. In fact, when I trash the prefs for ID, they are not even re-created during the next start, because the application itself is not even started (in a sense that only the initialization routine concerning license etc. is exectued)

nnkknn: OK, thanks anyway...