7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2011 2:06 AM by Mylenium

Help opening a project I saved yesterday

sn0wctrl Level 1

Hi there

I'm running After Effects 5.5 on Win 7 64bit, and have not had reliability issues or similar (until now) - my last project (which lasted several weeks) went without issue in this latest version of After Effects, on this same system.

Yesterday and today however, have been different - I had some problems reloading my work yestertday afternoon, but having got it loaded, saved to a new file, etc I presumed everything was ok.

Today I've tried reloading the project to continue it, and I can't get it to load - After Effects typically gets to about 90% through the load, then crashes, with a variety of error messages, including ones about Dynamic Link, 'Unable to obtain language registry key', 'strange situation 0/2'. 'Error invoking Auto Levels', and so on.  Smetimes it asks me to save my work (pointless since I'm trying to load it) more than once, sometimes it gives a sequence of error messages in quick succession which I may or may not get a chance to ok/cancel etc etc

So I've restarted the system, reloaded Afx with Alt+Ctrl+Shift held down to trash the preferences, and..... no error messages this time, but the standard Widows error '...has stopped working', at the same point in the file loading

This is extremely frustrating!!!  Can anyone help me get back my work?

This current project has included a project passed to me by someone else, created using an older version fo After Effects, in Australia (I'm in the UK) - I'm wondering if there's some sort of version/compatibility issue hapenning - however these files loaded and ran fine yesterday when I received them

All help appreciated

jON

• 1. Re: Help opening a project I saved yesterday
          sn0wctrl Level 1

... forgot to mention - I've also tried loading the project as a file into a new project - makes no difference

jON

• 2. Re: Help opening a project I saved yesterday
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Your caches are probably corrupted or simply full. Manually delete the files. They are by default in the Adobe sub-folder in your Documents folder.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Help opening a project I saved yesterday
              sn0wctrl Level 1

Hiya

Thanks - but actually I've done that already as well (sorry forgot to say)

So:

I've just re-deleted the cache, reloaded Afx dumping the preferences on the way, and loading the project gets to 90%, claims it will take another two seonds, then:

After Effects error: Crash in progress. last logged message was <6276> <ASL.ResourceUtils.GetLanguageIDFromRegistry>(<0> Unableto obtain the User 'Language' registry kay at: Software\Adobe\After Effects\10.5\ Defaulting to 'en_US'.

I OK that, and get the typical 'After Effects can't continue: sorry etc (0::42)'

I Ok that and get a pointless opportunity to save

Then I get 'After Effects error: strange situation (0/2) (26::84)', which is repeated 10 times (I OK it each time)

Then 'After Effects: crash occured while invoking effect plug-in 'Auto Levels'

Then After Effects error: Crash in progress. last logged message was <6276> <ASL.ResourceUtils.GetLanguageIDFromRegistry>(<0> Unableto obtain the User 'Language' registry kay at: Software\Adobe\After Effects\10.5\ Defaulting to 'en_US' again

Then the typical  the typical 'After Effects can't continue: sorry etc (0::42)' again

I that pointless opportunity to save, again

Then After Effects error: Crash in progress. last logged message was <6276> <ASL.ResourceUtils.GetLanguageIDFromRegistry>(<0> Unableto obtain the User 'Language' registry kay at: Software\Adobe\After Effects\10.5\ Defaulting to 'en_US' again

And now it seems to have just hung (Open Project (Not Responding))

jON

• 4. Re: Help opening a project I saved yesterday
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If nothing has changed on your computer like drivers, fonts, or virus updates try this:

After rebooting your computer open up AE. Now turn the caps lock on. Now import your problematic aep file. When it comes in open up the composition, turn off all of the effects and turn off all the layers. Release the caps lock key and start turning on layers and effects one at a time until you get a crash. Make notes so you'll remember what caused the crash. Now repeat the same procedure and check the other layers and effects. Delete the offending layer, footage, or effect and save the project. Close AE and try opening the project again.

If anything will save a corrupted or broken project this will.

If AE won't open at all after the reboot uninstall and reinstall, then run the updates.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Help opening a project I saved yesterday
                  sn0wctrl Level 1

Hi Rick

That's a really good idea - wish I'd thought of it

Unfortunately still no success - it gets rid of the multipe errors listed above, but still crashes on a 'Dynamic Link' error.  If you try merging in the scene into a new scene, with Caps Lock pressed, After Effects hangs without an error (you get the Win 'this program has stopped working' message)

I've re-installed Production Studio and it makes no difference

Think I'm gonna have to call it time on this one and re-do the work

Very frustrating, and worrying - I've been using After Effects since the dongled days of version 4.0 and I've never had an issue like this.  And this computer has run CS4 happily since I got it two years ago, and CS5.5 happily for the last month...

Makes no sense

jON

• 6. Re: Help opening a project I saved yesterday
                    sn0wctrl Level 1

By the way I have thought of a useful way of quickly determining if a project file is causing issues - thought I'd mention it in case it's of help in future (has helped me today)

Load Premiere, than goto Import After Effects Composition - running through the list of projects I saved as I worked, I can quickly see at which point the files stopped being 'openable' - as the compositions stop being quickly and easily listed

Their are projects saved later in the day that Dyanmic Link just can't seem to get to the bottom of - as I write it's still trying on one of them, then finally their are the projects that generate an error (from After Effects, depsite it not being loaded) - this time it's a C Runtime error (it's not onscreen logn enough to see properly)

The scary thing is that I know I can see I carried on working long efter the projects I was saving became un-loadable, and wasn't made aware of it...

I can't help being amazed that someone out there hasn't written an .aep file-debug program of some sort, that might at least let me get back those section of the project that aren't corrupted - but I can't dind one

jON

• 7. Re: Help opening a project I saved yesterday
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                      I can't help being amazed that someone out there hasn't written an .aep file-debug program of some sort, that might at least let me get back those section of the project that aren't corrupted - but I can't dind one

Unlikely. The AE binary file format after all these years is a veritable mess (but then again, so are those of other applications with stuff having been added they were never designed for with every new version...). The best you can hope for is that they keep working on their human-readable XML format which started in CS5 but didn't go anywhere in CS5.5. Maybe they have done some work on this again in CS6.

Mylenium