2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2011 12:30 PM by Themis_37

immediate help needed

Themis_37 Level 1

I run Premiere Pro CS5 (version 5.03) on a Quad core 9400 workstation with 8 GBs of DDR3 Ram at 1333 MHz, assisted by an Nvidia GTS 460 graphics card and Mercury Playback Engine enabled. My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

My latest project is a telemarketing spot, saved and worked from a WD 650 GB HDD at 7,200 rpm. My system drive is a WD 250 GB HDD at 7,200 rpm. The project's material is consisted only of lots of stills (jpg files) and titles from within PPro's titler, no video at all. My DV PAL's Standard 48KHz project timeline has 13 tracks of video (lots of keyframable pip and titling and added effects, transitions and filters - maybe you've seen telemarketing spots, they try to show as many info as possible at the same time - but not any imported AE projects on this one). It also features one track of audio narration.

Now, this certain timeline is only 03 min 57 secs long (practically a 4-minute spot). Up to a point things were rolling rather smoothly, until the point where I had to copy part of the sequence (consisiting from 5 or six video tracks with all their applied keyframing and possible effects) and paste it on a different place on my timeline. From that point on, it seems like the workstation couldn't stand anything more; playback delayed  by more than 10 seconds, anything but realtime performance - well, it actually never was but at least it kept up enough to actually let me see what I edit - the whole thing it took me back several years ago, when I was trying to view HD material on my really weak Celeron :-) I have no idea where this comes from. I've done several restarts and shutdowns without anything to change and now I'm desperate. Oh, and more than once I got a message about "Open GL not meeting minimum requirements" and Premiere was forced to close around 3 times today, I don't know what that is...

My questions are:

a. Is it normal that for, say, 20 previews, my rendering time for realtime preview is almost six minutes?

b. Is it normal that export to MPEG 2 for DVD from within PPro takes more than one hour (?) for a 4-minute spot?

c. Why does my workstation show that sudden rapid change of behaviour? I mean, I know I don't exactly have a Xeon but up to now I was able to edit rather easily with not so many issues...

Some other info that might come in handy is that I have set my scratch disk and PPro previews on a separate internal 1TB WD Intellipower drive, also at 7,200 rpm. Please help, I'm desparate. Feel free to request any other info that could help identify the problem...

Thanks a lot...

• 1. Re: immediate help needed
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What size are your "only lots of stills"?

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798?tstart=0

-Too Large = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879967?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: immediate help needed
            Themis_37 Level 1

Oh, God... John, you couldn't be more right, thanks a lot... I just recalled that the photos were sent to me as really large pdf files and when I opened them up in Photoshop to turn them into jpg files, I used the same size and resolution as the original. As such, the actual oroginal size was around 45 centimeters wide at 300 dpi! I almost freaked out... It couldn't just be that my workstation turned so bad, especially after adding cuda support...

So I did the test: I reduced the photos' size from 100 percent to 30 percent, lowered dpi to 100 and saved as jpg. Each file is was no more than a few hundred kilobytes large, thus of ore than adequate quality for a DV project. I imported the files to the bin and replaced each timeline reference with the new, smaller files. After a few minor size adjustments within PPro, the moment of truth was there: export time for an MPEG-2 for DVD file was only 4 minutes and 40 seconds and just around 10 minutes for a VBR 2-pass wmv file for the web!

Thanks very much, John :-) I can't believe I was such an idiot on this... As if I didn't know...