4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2012 9:03 AM by rpremuz RSS

Reader X: slow printing with HP UPD PS (to HP LaserJet P2055d)

rpremuz Community Member

Hi!

I have a problem with printing some PDF files from Adobe Reader X (10.1.0) to HP LaserJet P2055d using the HP Universal Printing PS driver ver. 5.3.1.10527 (the newest available) on MS Windows XP Pro. SP3.

If I try to print the PDF documents created by scanning on a Canon multifunction device the printing is very slow. On the same PC I have also Foxit Reader 5.0.2 which does not have this issue when printing the same documents. In both cases the default print properties are used (single sided printing, shrink to printable area, PS3 etc.).

Here is a sample PDF document of 6 pages: https://acrobat.com/#d=ojv64pOBncq6XxtSiRqSkw

With Foxit Reader that file is printed in 30 seconds. The print spooler shows about 675 kB of spooled data.

With Adobe Reader X the file is printed awfully slowly: it takes about 10 minutes per page! The print spooler shows 1.66 MB of spooled data.

The printer is connected via USB port and I’d say the issue is not hardware related as it has occurred on all PCs I tried to use with this printer model. PCs have 1 GB of RAM while the printers have 64 MB of RAM.

I also tried using the HP Universal Printing PCL 6 driver ver. 5.3.1.10527 with this printer model and it gives normal printing speed for scanned PDF files. So, I use it as a workaround for this issue.

It seems that there is a problem when Adobe Reader X uses the HP Universal Printing PS driver. It is just the opposite from what is mentioned on the following HP support document:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c0166 4406&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=3558902

It says that generally PDF files will print faster if a PS driver is used instead of a PCL 5 or PCL 6 driver.

Is this a known issue? Is there an option in the Reader preferences or in the print properties which can fix the problem?

-- rpr.

• 1. Re: Reader X: slow printing with HP UPD PS (to HP LaserJet P2055d)
          jfh777

rpr,

Did you find any solution for this issue?  My situation:

• Windows 2003 Server Print Servers
          • Windows XP or Citrix Clients
          • 20-page 4-6MB PDF file that spools up to a 60-100MB print job

Once the job spools on the print server, it absolutely CREEPS as it is sent to the printer.  In this case, the destination printer is over a 7Mb DSL link that never tops 600Kb usage during the print job.

I have tweaked settings left and right to no avail.  Bypassing my print servers does not make a difference.  The destination printer type doesn't make a difference - Ricoh, HP, whatever.

Any help would be appreciated.

Justin

• 2. Re: Reader X: slow printing with HP UPD PS (to HP LaserJet P2055d)
            rpremuz Community Member

Justin,

I'd say your issue differs from the one I described in the initial post. In my case MS Windows XP Pro. SP3 machines have problems printing some PDF files using HP Universal Printing PS driver. Most PDF files actually can be printed without any problem.

A solution for the issue was to use another driver - HP Universal Printing PCL 6. It seems it would not help in your case as you have slow printing with every installed printer. How about printing from other applications?

Have you tried to find a solution on another forum? E.g. the following:

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/920139.htm

http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=87938

-- rpr.

• 3. Re: Reader X: slow printing with HP UPD PS (to HP LaserJet P2055d)
              rpremuz Community Member

Hi!

I can add to the above problem description that it also exists with Samsung Universal Print Driver PS driver ver. 2.02.05.00 - tested on MS Windows Server 2003 SP2, Windows XP and Windows 7 32-bit with Adobe Reader 10.1.2 while printing on Samsung ML-3051DN printer (has 64 MB of RAM).

Printing of the sample file (see above) takes about 60 sec. per page, which is somewhat better than with HP LaserJet P2055d but still too slow.

And now the good news: a workaround for the issue is to enable the Print As Image option in the Advanced Print Setup, which gives a normal print speed although it increases the size of the print job.

It would be nice if developers at Adobe take a look at this and find a way to fix it. As I wrote before, Foxit Reader doesn't have the problem while printing such PDFs using the mentioned drivers.

-- rpr.

• 4. Re: Reader X: slow printing with HP UPD PS (to HP LaserJet P2055d)
                rpremuz Community Member

Hi!

I've tested the issue again with Adobe Reader 10.1.4 on MS Windows XP Pro. SP3, MS Windows 7 Pro. SP1 32-bit and 64-bit with the following drivers:

- HP Universal Printing PS package ver. 5.5.0.12834 (driver ver. 61.130.04.12834) for printing to HP LaserJet 4100 DTN (224 MiB of RAM) and HP Color LaserJet 4700dn (288 MiB of RAM)

- Samsung Universal Print Driver PS ver. 2.03.09.00_41 for printing to Samsung ML-3051DN printer with 64 MiB of RAM

Printing of the sample 6-page PDF file (https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=ojv64pOBncq6XxtSiRqSkw) is still slow because the document stays long in the Windows print queue. Here are the test results:

- printing with the HP UPD PS driver - 120 sec.

- printing with the Samsung UPD PS driver - 220 sec.

When the same PDF file is printed in FoxitReader 5.4.4 the document stays in the print queue for only 15 sec.

Enabling the Print As Image option in the Reader's Advanced Print Setup can help to some degree (it gives better kB/sec. ratio but it increases the size of the print job).

I'd really appreciate it if developers at Adobe improved the Reader in order to solve the issue with the PS drivers.

-- rpr.