10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2007 1:17 PM by Newsgroup_User

cut it into four with the knife

Balage
      When using the knife tool I can cut a rounded square into two with no problem, but when I choose the newly created two halves I cannot cut them further into two, because I make some strange subselections, instead. It must have something to do with the type of object the rounded square -or any other closed form is - and what I create when cutting them into pieces,I suppose, but I wiould need someone to tell me:
      1.) How I can cut a geometrical form into more than two pieces with the knife tool.
      2.) If there is a better way to make the four pieces for rounded cornered boxes for the web?

I'm comming from the programming side with some limited FW skills, so, please, go into detailes ..
        • 1. Re: cut it into four with the knife
          Level 7
          Must it use the knife tool?

Have you tried Path > Divide paths?

This seems to divide a rounded rectangle into as many parts as you wish.

For the knife tool, once a shape has been cut it seems that the cut
          objects need to have paths closed for knife to work without side effects.

In summary:

Filled path & knife tool: make sure to close paths after using the knife
          tool then use knife tool again.

Rounded rectangle & rectangles can use divide paths to divide a rounded
          rectangle into smaller pieces

Balage wrote:
          > When using the knife tool I can cut a rounded square into two with no problem,
          > but when I choose the newly created two halves I cannot cut them further into
          > two, because I make some strange subselections, instead. It must have something
          > to do with the type of object the rounded square -or any other closed form is -
          > and what I create when cutting them into pieces,I suppose, but I wiould need
          > someone to tell me:
          > 1.) How I can cut a geometrical form into more than two pieces with the knife
          > tool.
          > 2.) If there is a better way to make the four pieces for rounded cornered
          > boxes for the web?
          >
          > I'm comming from the programming side with some limited FW skills, so, please,
          > go into detailes ..
          >
          • 2. Re: cut it into four with the knife
            Level 7
            OK now for the details:

Knife and Shape
            1 - after using knife pull apart the separate pieces. Notice that the
            cut edges are not bound by a line? I think this is FW's way to show
            that such an edge is an open edge.

2 - select one or both of the cut pieces and close the paths

3 - using the knife tool again should work more predictably

Rounded rectangles, rectangles and divide paths

1 - draw a rounded rectangle

2 - draw some rectangles (ordinary ones to begin with) over the rounded
            rectangle and position them so that the rectangles will be divided as
            you wish (division is performed along edges or so it seems)

3 - select all of the objects needed to perform the division then apply
            Divide Paths
            • 3. Re: cut it into four with the knife
              Balage Level 1
              Thanks for your help.
              I've checked the online manual at Adobe and could see what you mean. All these new path editing features must be great, but at the present I have just started discovering Firewoks MX which I got as a part of a discounted package years ago when I bought Dreamweaver to learn programming. So far I have been quite busy with this and all I want to do now is to learn how to make rounded cornered and gradient background images for sliding- doors- style boxes, or shadows for image galeries and the like. Basic things first that graphic designers must have also done somehow back in the old days..
              I know I can download the trial version of the latest FW, but it expires in a month and I'd rather learn to do these basics with what I have now before I would invest more. The manual for FW MX is not at Adobe.com any more and the one with the program is not much help with these issues..
              If you have some links where some similar transformations are done with FW MX, please give them to me. I have tried cropping the background object to the one in the front, but it only works fine with one front object, not two. Any ideas about performing separate one-step-at a-time croppings on objects on seperate layers? How can I close a path in FW MX? Searching the MX manual left me helpless.. How were these things done "in the days far gone by" before FW cs3?
              Any ideas?

• 4. Re: cut it into four with the knife
                Level 7
                Balage wrote:
                > Thanks for your help.
                > I've checked the online manual at Adobe and could see what you mean. All
                > these new path editing features must be great, but at the present I have just
                > started discovering Firewoks MX which I got as a part of a discounted
                > package years ago when I bought Dreamweaver to learn programming. So far I have
                > been quite busy with this and all I want to do now is to learn how to make
                > rounded cornered and gradient background images for sliding- doors- style
                > boxes, or shadows for image galeries and the like. Basic things first that
                > graphic designers must have also done somehow back in the old days..
                > I know I can download the trial version of the latest FW, but it expires in a
                > month and I'd rather learn to do these basics with what I have now before I
                > would invest more. The manual for FW MX is not at Adobe.com any more and the
                > one with the program is not much help with these issues..
                > If you have some links where some similar transformations are done with FW
                > MX
                , please give them to me. I have tried cropping the background object to
                > the one in the front, but it only works fine with one front object, not two.
                > Any ideas about performing separate one-step-at a-time croppings on objects on
                > seperate layers? How can I close a path in FW MX? Searching the MX manual left
                > me helpless.. How were these things done "in the days far gone by" before FW
                > cs3?
                > Any ideas?
                >
                >
                >
                I wish I could Balage - is there a Window > Paths pallet in FW MX?

If so then there will be where most of the path operations reside.
                • 5. Re: cut it into four with the knife
                  Level 7
                  Balage wrote:

> When using the knife tool I can cut a rounded square into two with no problem,
                  > but when I choose the newly created two halves I cannot cut them further into
                  > two, because I make some strange subselections, instead. It must have something
                  > to do with the type of object the rounded square -or any other closed form is -
                  > and what I create when cutting them into pieces,I suppose, but I wiould need
                  > someone to tell me:
                  > 1.) How I can cut a geometrical form into more than two pieces with the knife
                  > tool.
                  > 2.) If there is a better way to make the four pieces for rounded cornered
                  > boxes for the web?

All you need to do is create the first one, and then clone and rotate
                  it. Instead of using the knife tool to cut an ellipse into four, try
                  drawing it, like this:

http://www.playingwithfire.com/Corners.html

--
                  Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                  http://www.projectseven.com
                  Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                  CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                  http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                  • 6. Re: cut it into four with the knife
                    Level 7
                    Nice video :)

Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert - Fireworks** wrote:
                    > Balage wrote:
                    >
                    >> When using the knife tool I can cut a rounded square into two with no
                    >> problem, but when I choose the newly created two halves I cannot cut
                    >> them further into two, because I make some strange subselections,
                    >> instead. It must have something to do with the type of object the
                    >> rounded square -or any other closed form is - and what I create when
                    >> cutting them into pieces,I suppose, but I wiould need someone to tell me:
                    >> 1.) How I can cut a geometrical form into more than two pieces with
                    >> the knife tool.
                    >> 2.) If there is a better way to make the four pieces for rounded
                    >> cornered boxes for the web?
                    >
                    > All you need to do is create the first one, and then clone and rotate
                    > it. Instead of using the knife tool to cut an ellipse into four, try
                    > drawing it, like this:
                    >
                    > http://www.playingwithfire.com/Corners.html
                    >
                    • 7. Re: cut it into four with the knife
                      Level 7
                      and this is a very comprehensive guide to FWs MX

http://tinyurl.com/2tr943

Special Edition Using Fireworks MX by Jeffrey Bardzell

Peter
                      | > Thanks for your help.
                      | > I've checked the online manual at Adobe and could see what you mean.
                      All
                      | > these new path editing features must be great, but at the present I
                      have just
                      | > started discovering Firewoks MX which I got as a part of a
                      discounted
                      | > package years ago when I bought Dreamweaver to learn programming. So far
                      I have
                      | > been quite busy with this and all I want to do now is to learn how to
                      make
                      | > rounded cornered and gradient background images for sliding- doors-
                      style
                      | > boxes, or shadows for image galeries and the like. Basic things first
                      that
                      | > graphic designers must have also done somehow back in the old days..
                      | > I know I can download the trial version of the latest FW, but it
                      expires in a
                      | > month and I'd rather learn to do these basics with what I have now
                      before I
                      | > would invest more. The manual for FW MX is not at Adobe.com any more and
                      the
                      | > one with the program is not much help with these issues..
                      | > If you have some links where some similar transformations are done with
                      FW
                      | > MX
                      , please give them to me. I have tried cropping the background
                      object to
                      | > the one in the front, but it only works fine with one front object, not
                      two.
                      | > Any ideas about performing separate one-step-at a-time croppings on
                      objects on
                      | > seperate layers? How can I close a path in FW MX? Searching the MX
                      manual left
                      | > me helpless.. How were these things done "in the days far gone by"
                      before FW
                      | > cs3?
                      | > Any ideas?
                      | >
                      | >
                      | >
                      | I wish I could Balage - is there a Window > Paths pallet in FW MX?
                      |
                      | If so then there will be where most of the path operations reside.

• 9. Re: cut it into four with the knife
                        Balage Level 1
                        Thank you all very much for your kind help. The links are especially useful. Thanks again!
                        • 10. Re: cut it into four with the knife
                          Level 7
                          Balage wrote:
                          > Thank you all very much for your kind help. The links are especially useful. Thanks again!
                          It is good to have so many creative options.

I thought the movie thing really was quite brilliant not only for result
                          but for the techniques too.

One pleasant aspect of dividing paths is that it gives some pleasant
                          options as where there once was one path over an object there becomes
                          inner and outer paths

see:

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1i9dhEkU65gCGum2EwkQoLaXyBqhXw