16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2011 11:39 AM by MECS

Adding xtras in Dir 11.5.9

MECS Level 1

In previous versions of Director, all I had to do to "install" a new xtra was copy and paste it into the Director application's Xtras folder.  I'm currently attempting to "add" an xtra that way to a project.  Yet, when I click Add, the xtra doesn't show up in the list, even though it is in the Director application's Xtras folder.  Am I missing something?

I have tried just copying and pasting the xtra into the Xtras folder in my project folder.  But the projector can't find it.  This also happens to be an xtra that needs to be included in the projector, and I published the projector with the "Include in Projector" box checked.  Nevertheless, it can't find it.

Thanks for whatever info you can provide.

Dewey

• 1. Re: Adding xtras in Dir 11.5.9
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

What's the xtra - is it updated for D11.5 and can your authoring environment find and use it?

• 2. Re: Adding xtras in Dir 11.5.9
            MECS Level 1

The Xtra is resolution.x32  v1.3.5

How do you update an xtra for D11.5?

I’m in the process of checking out the answer to your question 3.

Thanks.

Dewey

• 3. Re: Adding xtras in Dir 11.5.9
              Necromanthus Level 2

MECS wrote:

The Xtra is resolution.x32  v1.3.5

How do you update an xtra for D11.5?

That xtra is not v11.5 compatible.

And Mark Andrade (AndradeArts) dropped his xtras development a few years ago.

But what are you trying to achieve there?

There is always a workaround.

• 4. Re: Adding xtras in Dir 11.5.9
                MECS Level 1

I am trying to set the users’ monitor to a resolution that will run my Director programs at full screen, then set their monitor back to its original setting when they exit the Director program.

I have two resolution requirements to accomplish that depending on which of my programs they are running;  640x48x16, or 1024x768x16.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Dewey

• 5. Re: Adding xtras in Dir 11.5.9
                  Dee McDee Level 2

There is a list of screen resolution xtras here:

http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/MileHighTable/#ScreenResolution

DisplayMode Xtra is probably your best bet; it is Director 11.5 compatible and can do precisely what you want ... the only downside is that you have to buy a license:

http://www.xtras.starsoftmultimedia.com/xtras/DisplayMode/index.php

Buddy API is another possibility:

http://www.mods.com.au/budapi_docs/baSetDisplay.htm

You get two free method calls with the unregistered version, which might not be enough in your case (because you have get and store the original setting in order to turn the monitor back when exiting, which adds up to a  total of three).

• 6. Re: Adding xtras in Dir 11.5.9
                    MECS Level 1

Thank you very much for the information  This will be very helpful to us.

• 7. Re: Adding xtras in Dir 11.5.9
                      clangton Level 1

I have a similar problem. I copied all the xtras in the mac xtra folder and put them next to the projector.

On mac using Lion and from Director 1.5, the projector can not find the Fileio xtra. I get an error

What do I need to do to have it read the fileio xtra. Do I have to change the way is it is called? Did it change from Director MX?

Thans for your help.

Clang

• 8. Re: Adding xtras in Dir 11.5.9
                        MECS Level 1

Or, does that error indicate that the xtra simply is not compatible with Lion.  That is my fear.  Apple really threw the Director community a curve when they developed Lion.

If Director still was in the hands of Macromedia, they would have worked closely with Apple, just as they did with Microsoft, to help keep Director compatible with new versions of operating systems.  I have been writing Director programs on both platforms for 18+ years, and have always been able to rely on Macromedia to keep Director in line with new operating system platforms.  That may no long be the case now that Adobe has taken over and is treating Director like an unwanted stepchild.

With a large captive audience, and no direct competition, it just amazes me that a company that size is showing such nonchalance with Director.  The product is there, the market is already in place, the customer base is eager to support ongoing product development by Adobe, the product is certainly priced as a high-end product, they don’t have to do extensive promotion or even advertising.  It’s just “free money” and they are gazing off in another direction as if it is nothing more than a nuisance.  I just don’t get it.

Nevertheless, I fear that a number of tools we have been relying on, such as xtras, as well as Director itself may be have been dealt another blow by Apple.

A statement for Adobe:  “When you buy out a company, you also acquire their customer base.  That comes with a certain responsibility to support them because a customer base is the only thing that keeps a company in business.”

A question for Adobe:  “Director users/developers are a huge part of your customer base.  Who’s going to save us this time?”

Dewey

• 9. Re: Adding xtras in Dir 11.5.9
                          clangton Level 1

Actually the error says, Projector error: FileIO xtra is missing. That is all.

I took all the xtras that were in cross-platform folder of my 11.5 Director and put them in the same folder as projector I want to run.

But it does not seem to like what is there. Has Adobe not provided the correct xtra in that folder? My Director BTW is uptodate.

Dont know where to go from here?

Thanks.

char

• 10. Re: Adding xtras in Dir 11.5.9
                            Mike Blaustein Level 4

You should put the xtras into a folder called "xtras", not into the same folder as the executable

• 11. Re: Adding xtras in Dir 11.5.9
                              MECS Level 1

They are in a folder called xtras.  It has always been my understanding that the director movies, the projector, and the extras folder all reside in the same folder.  Are you saying that the executable should be taken out of that folder and reside in a place by itself?

• 12. Re: Adding xtras in Dir 11.5.9
                                Mike Blaustein Level 4

No.  sounds like you have it correct.  You can try embedding the xtras into the executable by going to Modify, Movie, Xtras, then Add every xtra you need for the projector.  Then republish.  Once you do that, you will not need the external xtras folder at all.

• 13. Re: Adding xtras in Dir 11.5.9
                                  clangton Level 1

Yes, I have the fileio xtra and all the other xtras, all in one folder called xtras. This folder "xtras" sits in an another folder which also contains the executable.

So they are side by side.

The configuration of folders etc. is same as what I have on the PC version and this has always workd fine for me.

This is an old working program that I trying to make work on the Mac Lion OS. So m idea was to create a new projector and replace the oldone with new one

that will run on Mac Lion. I also upgraded the Xtra folder at the same time with the Mac Xtras that came with the Director 11.5.

So al I have done to a program that was working on the Mac Snow Leopard, is to chage the director and the xtas folder. The program does rin okay, except it gives an error

that the fleio is missing. Then it goes on the run okay.

I dont think it is the configuation. Its just that the

xtra itself ( has ppc in the name.) is not being accepted by the executable.

Char

• 14. Re: Adding xtras in Dir 11.5.9
                                    MECS Level 1

Yes, I’ve done it both ways.  One thing I never have been quite clear on, however; is there a way I can find out what xtras my project actually require so I don’t dump in a bunch of xtras that I don’t need?  The program will let me know if I left one out that it needs, but it doesn’t tell me if I throw some in that are required.

• 15. Re: Adding xtras in Dir 11.5.9
                                      Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

One thing I never have been quite clear on, however; is there a way I can find out what xtras my project actually require so I don’t dump in a bunch of xtras that I don’t need?  The program will let me know if I left one out that it needs, but it doesn’t tell me if I throw some in that are required.

The only way to do this is to go to the dialog Mike suggested (Modify -> Movie -> Xtras...) and delete everything there (select them one-by-one and hit the Remove button, or select the top one and just keep hitting Remove until the dialog is empty). Any cast members that require asset xtras will automatically add them back (close and re-open the dialog to see what they are). However, any scripting xtras won't be auto-added and you'll need to remember which ones your movie/s rely on (like FileIO) and Add them manually.

• 16. Re: Adding xtras in Dir 11.5.9
                                        MECS Level 1

Alright.  Thanks.  I appreciate the time you took to assist me with this.

Dewey