13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2013 8:30 AM by peter minneapolis

In a book how can I combine two lines of a chapter title into one TOC entry?

MSC1979

In InDesign CS5 I am writing a book for print.  Each chapter has two lines of description, one that says Chapter # and one that says the chapter description.  I have used two different paragraph styles for the Chapter # and the Chapter Description.  In my table of contents I need both lines to be combined and formated via the TOC entry style. 

I am sure that this is simple but I have read and watched every tutorial that I can think of and I cannot figure this out.  I have tried to use Character Styles and they carry over into the TOC and override the TOC entry style.  The only thing that I can make work is using the same paragraph style for both lines of text at the beginning of each chapter and that is not how I want it to appear in the book. 

I could use a hidden chapter descriptor but this seems like a funny workaround.  Is there a better and easier way to accomplish this?

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: In a book how can I combine two lines of a chapter title into one TOC entry?
          peter minneapolis Level 4

MSC1979 wrote:

In InDesign CS5 I am writing a book for print.  Each chapter has two lines of description, one that says Chapter # and one that says the chapter description.  I have used two different paragraph styles for the Chapter # and the Chapter Description.  In my table of contents I need both lines to be combined and formated via the TOC entry style. 

I am sure that this is simple but I have read and watched every tutorial that I can think of and I cannot figure this out.  I have tried to use Character Styles and they carry over into the TOC and override the TOC entry style.  The only thing that I can make work is using the same paragraph style for both lines of text at the beginning of each chapter and that is not how I want it to appear in the book. 

I could use a hidden chapter descriptor but this seems like a funny workaround.  Is there a better and easier way to accomplish this?

Thank you in advance.

Good researching, even if you didn't find what you needed.

Try this:

* Create a character style that applies the No Break property.

* Create a nested paragraph style that applies nothing through the first End Nested Style Here special character, and applies the No Break character style through the next End Nested Style Here special character.***

* Join the two lines of text in the documents into one paragraph that uses the nested paragraph style.

* Insert a space followed by the special End Nested Style Here character after the last word of the "first TOC line" in each combined paragraph. This is manual work. You can copy/paste the space and ENSH special character where you need it. But, you can also copy the pair into a new custom text Text Variable, and insert the variable.

*** If the above technique doesn't cause the "second TOC line" doesn't drop below the first line, the text frame is too wide. No need to narrow it, though. Instead, add some amount right indent as a property to the paragraph style.

Create and specify a suitable non-nested style paragraph style for the corresponding paragraphs in the TOC.

Search Google for terms like "InDesign end nested style," "InDesign nested paragraph style," "InDesign text variable," and similar terms for details.    

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Message was edited by: peter at knowhowpro

• 2. Re: In a book how can I combine two lines of a chapter title into one TOC entry?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That seems pretty complex to me. I'd use a forced line break at the end of the Chapter number instead of a paragraph break and a nested character style up to the forced line break. You'll need to run a find/change to remove the forced line breaks from the TOC if you don't want them, but nested character styles do not carry over.

• 3. Re: In a book how can I combine two lines of a chapter title into one TOC entry?
              hms413 Level 1

I'm trying to do the same thing. I have two titles from my pages that I want to appear in my Table of Contents on the same line.

For example, on the actual page of my book it would say "A Department" and underneath that with a separate paragraph style, "Financial Review."

Factors:

1) Since they have different paragraph styles, they both won't appear

2) If I made them the same paragraph style but they are on separate lines, they will appear on separate lines in the ToC

3) I tried making them the same Paragraph style with the "A Department" being a different characer style, but it still won't show up.

How do you "nest" a character style within a paragraph style?

Bottom line...I just want those two titles to appear on the same line in ToC.

Any other insights?

• 4. Re: In a book how can I combine two lines of a chapter title into one TOC entry?
                Grant H Level 4

easiest way i believe it a two step process, create the TOC and appropriate styles and then find and replace (grep) the end of paragraph in the "one" style with a space.

/G

• 5. Re: In a book how can I combine two lines of a chapter title into one TOC entry?
                  Ellis home Level 4

What I did in one book where I needed to have three lines in the the TOC: chapter number, chapter title, chapter author, is build the TOC manually first and then use cross references. This might be prohibitive for a book with many chapters because you have to do it manually, but for this particular case it got the job done. It'll be nice it there was a plug in for these cases.

Edit: I must say that I wanted to have an interactive TOC for ebook purposes that I wanted to show in the first page.

• 6. Re: In a book how can I combine two lines of a chapter title into one TOC entry?
                    Grant H Level 4

three lines is not a problem at all... and without the (not so efficient "sorry")workflow you have adopted... TOC allows multi levels etc... the issue is to run the entry styles in one line.

• 7. Re: In a book how can I combine two lines of a chapter title into one TOC entry?

MSC1979 wrote:

Thank you in advance.

You're right. It is awkward to work around something that makes sense to be built into InDesign. Aobe FrameMaker has had a run-in paragraph property for most or all of its 20 years. A run-in paragraph doesn't actually run-in to the paragraph preceding it. It permits the paragraph following it to run into it on the same line it's on. In other words, it has all the properties of a paragraph, except that it has no new line property.

Anyone who thinks that a run-in paragraph property would be useful, not only in this particular TOC situation, but also in main text where multiple text strings on the same line should be able to have different paragraph properties, would do well to file a formal product feature enhancement request here: ADOBE WISHFORM. Besides the TOC use, it's useful to be able to point a cross-reference to a part of a line of text, rather than an entire paragraph.

For example, a paragraph in main text might look like this:

Main Heading: sub-heading: Start of main paragraph text...

InDesign's very smart nested style feature can identify certain runs of text and apply character styles to it. For example, a bold character style is applied to text from the beginning of the paragraph through the first colon. Then a bold-italic character style is applied beginning after the first colon through the second colon. No problem - you get the look you want. Depending on the text, it's possible to do a similar thing with InDesign's GREP paragraph style.

However, if you want to capture Main Heading: or sub-heading: in a TOC or cross-reference, you can't, because currently, InDesign TOCs and cross-references can only capture whole paragraphs. Run-in paragraphs are true paragraphs, so they can be captured by the TOC process and by a cross-reference.

It can take eons for customer enhancement requests to be added to InDesign, but many ID features began as user requests, so file the form and be patient. If you can't wait for more flexibility in cross-references, such as capturing text with spedific character styles within a paragraph, look into the commercial Cross-References Pro InDesign plug-in from www.dtptools.com. There's a free trial download.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 8. Re: In a book how can I combine two lines of a chapter title into one TOC entry?
                        Ellis home Level 4

Yes I know. It was a one time kind of deal. But just for the sake of expanding on what you just say "three lines is not a problem at all". Can you elaborate a bit more? Say I have each line with a different style.

• 9. Re: In a book how can I combine two lines of a chapter title into one TOC entry?
                          Grant H Level 4

yes: you can apply a dif entry style to each incoming>>

and select the page numbers to appear where and if you want

• 10. Re: In a book how can I combine two lines of a chapter title into one TOC entry?
                            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@peter at knowhowpro – another use case for run-ins, however not run-in paragraphs, would be  footnotes not separated to different "units".

But this is another beast compared to run-in paragraphs, because every footnote consists of its own text range element (each one holding one or more paragraphs).

Uwe

• 11. Re: In a book how can I combine two lines of a chapter title into one TOC entry?

Laubender wrote:

@peter at knowhowpro – another use case for run-ins, however not run-in paragraphs, would be  footnotes not separated to different "units".

But this is another beast compared to run-in paragraphs, because every footnote consists of its own text range element (each one holding one or more paragraphs).

Uwe

Rather than run-ins paragraph properties, an alternate approach might be offering a run-in format option, similar to those options in index and TOC.

There are other things that can be improved by re-engineering:

* ability to capture a footnote's number in a cross-reference and running-header text variable

* text variables that can cross line and frame boundaries

...and others. Most of these have been requested many times. Perhaps repeated requests and patients eventually will succeed in their appearance in future InDesign releases.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 12. Re: In a book how can I combine two lines of a chapter title into one TOC entry?
                                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Perhaps repeated requests and patients eventually will succeed in their appearance in future InDesign releases.

Amen to that…

• 13. Re: In a book how can I combine two lines of a chapter title into one TOC entry?

Laubender wrote:

Perhaps repeated requests and patients eventually will succeed in their appearance in future InDesign releases.

Amen to that…

Besides "amen," how about "egad??!!" Oooops! I'm healing from minor surgery, which probably explains why I wrote "patients," rather than "patience." Where is that online syntax-correction daemon when you really need it?

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices