Adobe Reader X (10.1.1) Visual C++ Runtime error - Citrix XenApp 4.5

CRA_Support

Error:

--------

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

____

I work for a large government agency, and we are experiencing the above error, but we have the added complexity of Citrix (XenApp 4.5). Most of our servers run Server 2003 SP2 Enterprise.

When you log into the server's console, a PDF from a network location launches fine, however a Softgrid package which contains a link the PDF produces the error (unless you have elevated domain privileges - and then it works fine).

Using Citrix to launch the PDF via the Softgrid package or the network drive sometimes works, but randomly produces the error. Our security team will now allow us to disable Protected Mode (from our last test, disabling Protected Mode resolved the issue).

____

A Procmon log of a failure to launch shows AcroRd32.exe producing an Insufficient Resources error to an IPC share on all our DFS Namspace servers. After that Reader seems to terminate.

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader X (10.1.1) Visual C++ Runtime error - Citrix XenApp 4.5
          CRA_Support Level 1

After much testing, we have determined that the issue only happens when the clients have their home directory on a local file server. When we move their home drive to our DFS, the issue dissappears. We have finally been able to confirm this in our testing environment as well. However, we still have no idea why. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader X (10.1.1) Visual C++ Runtime error - Citrix XenApp 4.5
            Kshakti Adobe Employee

Hi,

Can you please let me know the following information:

1) Is the issue exist for previous versions of Reader as well (like Reader X, Reader 9)

2) Does your organization also use XenApp 5 or XenApp6? If yes, can you please try to reproduce the issue for the clients of those servers.

3) Please try out the following :

-- Launch Reader10.1, Goto Edit->Preferences -> General . Un-select the option 'Enable Protected Mode at startup' and close Reader.

-- Open the PDF file which was throwing Visual Runtime error and see if the error still persists.

-- After the observation please launch Reader again and goto Edit->Preferences -> General and now select 'Enable Protected Mode at Startup' and close Reader.

(Reader should always be kept at Protected Mode as it is much more secured)

Thanks,

Shakti

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader X (10.1.1) Visual C++ Runtime error - Citrix XenApp 4.5
              Kshakti Adobe Employee

Hi,

Citrix 4.5 is not officially a supported Citrix version for Reader X or Reader10.1.1 and further. Please update to Citrix 5/6 and let us know if the issue is reproducible there as well.

I was not able to reproduce the issue at my end for Citrix 5 or 6.

By having the home directory of the user at local file server, by default the home directory (appdata, my documents) of the user was already set to a file server and it was kept on the Citrix Server.

Thanks,

Shakti