1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2012 1:06 PM by JeremyJA

Serious Flaw in MPE?

JeremyJA

I have an issue that would be great if I could get worked out...

I'm using 60i AVCHD footage (.mts), with the appropriate timeline settings in Premiere Pro CS5.5.1. Export settings are to h.264 de-interlaced with default preset settings. However, when I export with the MPE on, the video fails to deinterlace, and merely exports as a progressive scan with the interlacing "burned in", i.e. each progressive frame has interlacing artifacts/lines on it. HOWEVER, if I turn MPE off before I render, the video renders de-interlaced perfectly. But I'm pretty peeved, because if MPE is so great, why won't it support one of the most basic rendering functions out there? This problem was also present in CS5.5.0, and it was not fixed by the update.

For reference, the applicable computer specs are:

Windows 7 Ultimate

Intel i7-960

12GB DDR3 RAM

nVidia GeForce GTX 470

Again, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help out here. My render times have skyrocketed compared to when using MPE and frankly, I want the features that I paid for to be in the product.

-Jeremy

• 1. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

What are your exact export settings?

• 2. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
            JeremyJA Level 1

Format: h.264

No filters

Multiplexer: MP4 Standard

Video: NTSC, all resolutions have the problem, 29.97fps, Field Order Progressive (de-interlaced), pixel aspect ratio makes no difference, Profile: any profile, Level: any level

Render at Maximum Depth ON, 2 pass VBR, keyframe distance makes no difference.

• 3. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
              JeremyJA Level 1

And now, I am trying to render a project that has fairly extensive color correction done on it. So I keep MPE on while color correcting and toning and such, and then turn if off right before I render. BUT, when I render, the resulting video is filled with blocky green artifacts. Umm, Adobe? Help!!! I now have to choose between green or interlaced artifacts!

• 4. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                JeremyJA Level 1

Anyone know anything about this??? I'm getting desperate, I've got deadlines and here I'm stuck with a semi/non-functional NLE that cost me more money than most people spend on a computer! I have all the latest drivers from nVidia, and all my settings indicate that the MPE should be running fine and the rendered video should be deinterlaced, and yet...

• 5. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I can't duplicate your issue here.

However, my system is not your system.  You could try either or both of 2 techniques that should otherwise be redundant:

1. Select every clip in your export sequence one-by-one and change the Field Options to Always Deinterlace.  You can't change the field options on multiple clips or on nested sequences.
                  2. Create a matching progressive sequence and copy/paste all your sequence items from the interlaced sequence.  You could also do this step in combination with step 1 to get really really redundantly redundant.

-Jeff

• 6. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                    JeremyJA Level 1

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Here's the new info based off of your suggestions:

Importing into a progressive sequence and rendering to progressive does not work, however, the interlacing artifacts are noticably different than from when I render from an interlaced timeline to progressive with the MPE on. When exporting the way I normally would (the latter), I get very stark interlacing lines, as though premiere is taking the fields and rendering them both as a single frame with no interpolation or anything. Rendering the former way, the frames are more "blurred" together, leading to the illusion that the clip is deinterlaced, however, if you look closely you can still see deinterlacing artifacts (plus there is noticable ghosting). The "Always Deinterlace" works, but I don't like the fact that 1) it takes forever to set each clip like that, and 2) it discards an entire field, so that the quality is noticably reduced. Excuse me, but I could have bought a standard def camera in that case. *I have always rendered de-interlaced at max render quality* and until recently (i.e. CS5.5) it works great. High quality, very good deinterlacing.

Also, if I render from the interlaced sequence to progressive ("de"-interlaced), with the maximum render quality OFF (thus deleting a field), I get the same type of artifacts as rendering from a progressive sequence to a progressive sequence. So NOT the same result as rendering using the "Always Deinterlace" option in a progressive sequence does. Therefore, I am inclined to believe that this is NOT a system error (the fact that this cropped up exactly at version CS5.5 and not before is another hint), but has something to do with Premiere itself (remember, I am most likely using a different AVCHD clip than you; mine are .MTS (MPEG-2) AVCHD from a Sony HDR-XR500V).

Is there any way I can "repair" the program or something using the installation disks? Just to reset its brains?

• 7. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?

My MTS clips are from a Sony NX5U.  Your camera records HD to MPEG4; if you have MPEG2 footage then your source footage is SD, not HD.  Reference: HDR-XR500V | 120GB HD Handycam® Camcorder | Sony | Sony Store USA

Hardware MPE always deinterlaces and scales in Maximum Render Quality mode regardless of whether the sequence export settings check box is checked or not.  The only exception is if the Adobe Media Encoder gets involved (in some cases).  So if you are exporting from Pr and not using the AME, and if hardware MPE is in use, then high-quality, hardware-accelerated deinterlacing is in use.

The fact that you are seeing:

• interlacing artifacts baked in where there should be none.
                      • loss of resolution during hardware MPE deinterlacing
                      • software MPE producing green artifacts

all indicate to me that you have hardware and/or software issues that are interfering or preventing Pr from doing its job properly.  I don't have any of those issues here with Sony AVCHD files and CS5.5.1, nor do I have to mess with "Always Deinterlace" or copying/pasting from sequence to sequence.

Do you have any 3rd-party hardware installed, like Matrox or BlackMagic?  What software did you use to CC your footage?  You say your nVidia drivers are up-to-date -- is that directly from the nVidia web site or from somewhere else?  Regardless, it may be worth a complete uninstall/reinstall of Pr.

-Jeff

• 8. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                        JeremyJA Level 1

I don't have any third party video software on my computer (CC is done with Premiere and/or After Effects), and the issue occurs whether I go through AME or not. The drivers are the latest from the nVidia website. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling...

• 9. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                          JeremyJA Level 1

Aha. So I uninstalled, and used the clean script, then reinstalled...and got an error message:

Exit Code: 6

-------------------------------------- Summary --------------------------------------

- 0 fatal error(s), 4 error(s), 9 warning(s)

WARNING: DW031: Payload:{61A3D10A-AA4D-4E4C-B9DB-6A08D318EA41} Photoshop Camera Raw (64 bit) 6.0.0.0 has been updated and has been selected for repair. The patch {32841ECE-EC28-42CD-A4DD-6CE832A7EA8D} Photoshop Camera Raw (64 bit)_6.3_AdobeCameraRaw6.0All-x64 6.3.0.0 will be uninstalled now.

WARNING: DW031: Payload:{2EBE92C3-F9D8-48B5-A32B-04FA5D1709FA} Adobe XMP Panels CS5 3.0.0.0 has been updated and has been selected for repair. The patch {42774483-D33C-46F7-8B20-FD0B1A3DAC25} Adobe XMP Panels CS5_3.1_AdobeXMPPanelsAll 3.1.0.0 will be uninstalled now.

WARNING: DW031: Payload:{3F023875-4A52-4605-9DB6-A88D4A813E8D} Camera Profiles Installer 6.0.0.0 has been updated and has been selected for repair. The patch {A189C479-C7CD-4E08-8CCF-D999B68C0C71} Camera Profiles Installer_6.3_AdobeCameraRawProfile6.0All 6.3.0.0 will be uninstalled now.

WARNING: DW031: Payload:{37AB3C65-E02C-4DCF-B0E0-4C2E253D8FA3} Photoshop Camera Raw 6.0.0.0 has been updated and has been selected for repair. The patch {FD58D99B-9927-4226-8E00-959A4F76BD89} Photoshop Camera Raw_6.3_AdobeCameraRaw6.0All 6.3.0.0 will be uninstalled now.

WARNING: DW031: Payload:{61A3D10A-AA4D-4E4C-B9DB-6A08D318EA41} Photoshop Camera Raw (64 bit) 6.0.0.0 has been updated and has been selected for repair. The patch {32841ECE-EC28-42CD-A4DD-6CE832A7EA8D} Photoshop Camera Raw (64 bit)_6.3_AdobeCameraRaw6.0All-x64 6.3.0.0 will be uninstalled now.

WARNING: DW031: Payload:{2EBE92C3-F9D8-48B5-A32B-04FA5D1709FA} Adobe XMP Panels CS5 3.0.0.0 has been updated and has been selected for repair. The patch {42774483-D33C-46F7-8B20-FD0B1A3DAC25} Adobe XMP Panels CS5_3.1_AdobeXMPPanelsAll 3.1.0.0 will be uninstalled now.

WARNING: DW031: Payload:{3F023875-4A52-4605-9DB6-A88D4A813E8D} Camera Profiles Installer 6.0.0.0 has been updated and has been selected for repair. The patch {A189C479-C7CD-4E08-8CCF-D999B68C0C71} Camera Profiles Installer_6.3_AdobeCameraRawProfile6.0All 6.3.0.0 will be uninstalled now.

WARNING: DW031: Payload:{37AB3C65-E02C-4DCF-B0E0-4C2E253D8FA3} Photoshop Camera Raw 6.0.0.0 has been updated and has been selected for repair. The patch {FD58D99B-9927-4226-8E00-959A4F76BD89} Photoshop Camera Raw_6.3_AdobeCameraRaw6.0All 6.3.0.0 will be uninstalled now.

----------- Payload: {2EE4F060-CEE6-4002-AA8B-91B791541767} Pixel Bender Toolkit 2.6.0.0 -----------

WARNING: DF035: CreateAlias:Icon file does not exist at C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Utilities - CS5.5\Pixel Bender Toolkit 2.6\windows\pb_app.icofile:\\\C:\PIXELB~1\source\winwood\Staging    0X1.8E3F82P-1022rea\windows\pb_app.ico42178f80493091e8e552c84a2897e9da68fce32_32_f8049309 1e8e552c84a2897e9da68fce for icon C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Adobe Production Premium CS5.5\Adobe Pixel Bender Toolkit 2.6.lnk with target C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Utilities - CS5.5\Pixel Bender Toolkit 2.6\Pixel Bender Toolkit.exe(Seq 89)

----------- Payload: {43A1C48E-3E50-410e-951C-E17A66BBF824} Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin 10.0.0.0 -----------

ERROR: Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action NewCustomAction1, location: C:\Users\Family\AppData\Local\Temp\InstallPlugin.exe, command: -install plugin -msi

ERROR: Install MSI payload failed with error: 1603 - Fatal error during installation.

MSI Error message: Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action NewCustomAction1, location: C:\Users\Family\AppData\Local\Temp\InstallPlugin.exe, command: -install plugin -msi

ERROR: DW050: The following payload errors were found during install:

ERROR: DW050:  - Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin: Install failed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, the programs still opens and everything, it just seems like there are these little bugs.

This is straight off of the installation disks onto my computer. I tried it twice and got the same error both times. THEN I looked on my laptop (which also has CS5.5 installed from the same disks), and it DOES NOT have the problem. So it must be something about my system upon installation. Is there anyone I can take this error message to see what I can do to fix it?

• 10. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?

This is an error that results from having the Flash ActiveX control installed.  If you uninstall Flash ActiveX and then run the installer again, you won't get the error messages.

-Jeff

• 11. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                              JeremyJA Level 1

I tried it again after uninstalling ActiveX and I got this different error message:

Exit Code: 6

-------------------------------------- Summary --------------------------------------

- 0 fatal error(s), 4 error(s), 2 warning(s)

----------- Payload: {CFA46C39-C539-4BE9-9364-495003C714AD} Adobe SwitchBoard 2.0 2.0.0.0 -----------

WARNING: DF029: ARKServiceControl::StartService: Service not started/stopped SwitchBoard. Current State: 0 Exit Code: 0 Service Specific Exit Code: 0(Seq 1)

----------- Payload: {2EE4F060-CEE6-4002-AA8B-91B791541767} Pixel Bender Toolkit 2.6.0.0 -----------

WARNING: DF035: CreateAlias:Icon file does not exist at C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Utilities - CS5.5\Pixel Bender Toolkit 2.6\windows\pb_app.icofile:\\\C:\PIXELB~1\source\winwood\Staging    0X1.BE668BP-1017rea\windows\pb_app.ico42178f80493091e8e552c84a2897e9da68fce32_32_f8049309 1e8e552c84a2897e9da68fce for icon C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Adobe Production Premium CS5.5\Adobe Pixel Bender Toolkit 2.6.lnk with target C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Utilities - CS5.5\Pixel Bender Toolkit 2.6\Pixel Bender Toolkit.exe(Seq 89)

----------- Payload: {43A1C48E-3E50-410e-951C-E17A66BBF824} Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin 10.0.0.0 -----------

ERROR: Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action NewCustomAction1, location: C:\Users\Family\AppData\Local\Temp\InstallPlugin.exe, command: -install plugin -msi

ERROR: Install MSI payload failed with error: 1603 - Fatal error during installation.

MSI Error message: Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action NewCustomAction1, location: C:\Users\Family\AppData\Local\Temp\InstallPlugin.exe, command: -install plugin -msi

ERROR: DW050: The following payload errors were found during install:

ERROR: DW050:  - Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin: Install failed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 12. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You can ignore those errors. See this:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/902/cpsid_90243.html

• 13. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                  JeremyJA Level 1

So then if these won't lead to the problem, what are other probable causes? From what I can tell, the program is totally stable (as stable as it gets) except for the fact that it WILL NOT deinterlace with MPE on, no matter what you do.

• 14. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                    JeremyJA Level 1

Also, I just noticed that GPUSniffer recognizing my GPU as a GTX 570, where it's a 470. Is this an issue or a standard thing?

• 15. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                      Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

I'm banking on it's something specific with your media.  Possibly they're reporting progressive when they're upper field, or something along those lines.  I'd suggest posting a short sample media clip so that others can take a look.

What does the project panel report your clips as? Progressive, or upper field?  Have you attempting overriding the field settings through Modify->Interpret Footage?

• 16. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                        JeremyJA Level 1

I'm not sure about that...I know for certain that it is 60i upper field first, and the interpret footage window confirms this. But just to be thorough, here's a clip straight from the camera. It has some well defined edges so you can gauge quality as well as some motion to help identify any interlacing problems if you have any with it. Remember, export settings are essentially "h.264, 1080p 29.97fps preset, max depth on, max render quality on", with sequence settings at 29.97 interlaced, and MPE on during render.

The clip is up on filemail.com at:

https://www.filemail.com/dl.aspx?id=UZLSROXZUNDYAAV

• 17. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                          Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

Well, I tried out a combination of renders using your clip, and I'm not seeing any failure to deinterlace here.  Tried both CUDA vs software mode, 1 pass & 2 pass VBR.  They all look right.  (And the clip seems fine, definitely interlaced upper field.)  Here's a link to a zip with the 4 variants in case you want to check it out yourself:

https://acrobat.com/#d=cZBugz*ZtyvmNPxOAKxcVQ

What are your sequence settings?  (I used the AVCHD 1080i square pixel editing mode, 1920 * 1080 | 16/9 | upper field first | 1.0 PAR for my test)

And, as Jeff previously suggested, do you have any 3rd party plugins / codecs installed?

• 18. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?

FWIW, I duplicated Wil's results.  CS5.5 deinterlaced the video pretty darn close to perfect.

-Jeff

• 19. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                              JeremyJA Level 1

Hmmmmm. Yeah I'm using all the same settings as you for both the sequence and render, and no, I don't have any 3rd party plugins or codecs installed. Are you guys running Windows 7 (Ultimate)?

• 20. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?

Windows 7 Pro x64.

-Jeff

• 21. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                  JeremyJA Level 1

Again, I'm noticing that my system recognizes my GPU as a nVidia GeForce GTX 570 when it is really a GTX 470. Could this be indicative of a problem related to the current issue?

• 22. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Is that what GPU-Z tells you?

• 23. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                      ryan028

I think I've got the same situation as yours,

I've asked the same question before but unfortunately no one answered.

I have no problem with the clip that you provided,

the clip rendered individually without artifacts.

but me myself are having problem with mixed camera source,

like a Sony DV running at 50i, and a DSLR running at 25p,

when they mixed together and with MPE enabled.

I got interlacing artifacts on output.

Also when i mix your 60i video with my DSLR 25p video ( I know we shouldn't do that )

I'm getting interlacing artifacts on the 25p part of the video,

which is gone if the MPE is disabled.

There's something interesting that is when you import the same clips into a 60p timeline,

it renders normally even with MPE enabled.

PS: my old question on this forum : http://forums.adobe.com/message/3751353#3751353

• 24. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                        JeremyJA Level 1

I'm not sure what GPU-Z is, but it's what Windows says...

• 25. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                          JeremyJA Level 1

Hmmmmm, the plot thickens??? Could be related, maybe not...

The thing is, even if my computer is reading my GTX 470 as a 570, they're both supported for MPE, so it shouldn't make a difference either way...

• 26. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                            JeremyJA Level 1

Ah. I hate to be melodramatic, but you, sir, are an inspirational genius. Everything seems to be coming together. After several more methodical tests, here's is the new info:

-60i footage DOES deinterlace with MPE on...but IF AND ONLY IF THERE ARE NO EFFECTS ON THE TIMELINE. No color correction, no timelapses/slowmos, etc. Essentially anything that MPE supposedly also accelerates.

-When effects are applied, even to only one clip out of several in a sequence, all clips render WITHOUT deinterlacing.

-When 29.97p footage was dropped into timeline with 60i footage, and was rendered together with MPE on, the video DID DEINTERLACE. However, considering the above points, I wouldn't be surprised if in some instances it did not (say, if the progressive clip had some effect applied to it).

-Sequences with NON GPU-ACCELERATED FX applied (like equalize) DO deinterlace while rendering.

So basically it seems like MPE doesn't want to deinterlace if it's doing absolutely anything else.

• 27. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm not seeing the same thing.

My progressive exports of 30i material in a 30i sequence look the same with or without effects, with or without hardware acceleration.

• 28. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                                JeremyJA Level 1

It's definitely not a problem relegated to my desktop system though, because my laptop is running the same CS5.5 suite and it has the same problem. All the hardware specs are 100% different and there are virtually no programs that are on both the laptop and desktop that might be interfering. Is there any other sort of support I can get for this? I'm already pushing past my delivery deadlines because of it...

P.S. Joe what GPU are you running?

• 29. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm still on CS5.0.3.  That may be the difference.

Using a GTX 460.

• 30. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                                    JeremyJA Level 1

Hahaha oh of course! Yeah this is ONLY applicable to 5.5.0 and 5.5.1. It worked on 5.0.3 just fine, it only started up after I upgraded. And again, the same problem happens on my laptop running the same 5.5.1. So it seems to be an Adobe-software related bug. HELP!

• 31. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Hmmmm.

Not really a plus in the "time to upgrade" column.

• 32. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                                        pejaka

I confirm that as well.

Workaround: Change the project settings to MPE software only, before saving your premiere project.

Does it affect to the rendering time, I don't know.

I always try to remember to do that before saving the project, because it also changes the way dissolves behave.

They are smoother with MPE software only mode.

pena

P.S.  If you have not uninstalled AME5, you can use it. It opens CS5.5 projects and  deinterlacing seems to be perfect.

• 33. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                                          JeremyJA Level 1

OK EXCELLENT, now we know at least that it's Adobe's problem and not random stuff on any one person's computer, as it's been confirmed on 3-4 separate systems.

I considered this workaround, and YES, it does work in most cases HOWEVER, the project I am working on has extensive color correction and grading on almost every clip in the timeline. Exporting with MPE off 1) Takes about 10x longer than with MPE on, and 2) gives me ANOTHER bug, which is strange green pixelated areas appearing (usually) in the shadows of my rendered video. They do not necessarily appear on every clip, but on most of them. I have no idea where this comes from, but I assume it's from the huge amount of processing that the CPU is doing alone on the clips and it crashes/messes up something, somewhere.

Therefore, I'm kind of boxed in when it comes to work-arounds...ADOBE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE fix this. I did not purchase your merchandise to get a dysfunctional program for my workflow (not an uncommon workflow either). How hard of a fix can it be? It worked in CS5!

• 34. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                                            pejaka Level 1

I just did one more quick test.

PPro 5.03  > AME 5.0.1 deinterlacing OK

PPro 5.03  > AME 5.5.1 NOT deinterlacing

PPro 5.5.1 > AME 5.0.1 deinterlacing OK

PPro 5.5.1 > AME 5.5.1 NOT deinterlacing

Maybe it is better that you make official bug report with your better english.

p

• 35. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                                              JeremyJA Level 1

OK, good for that information. I'm getting my CS5 disks this weekend so hopefully that will at least be a stop-gap until Adobe gets their updates together. I just did file a bug report, thanks (it was the second time though, the first one was ages ago and nothing came of that yet).

• 36. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                                                SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

Thanks for the test project, I have been able to reproduce the issue. As a workaround, if you nest your sequence in a progressive sequence with double the framerate before export the result will be correct. In your case of a 29.97UFF this would be a 59.94P sequence. Keep frame blending off.

• 37. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Steve,

Can you identify whether this is endemic to this particular footage, or something we should be on the look-out for with other media in Pr?

• 38. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                                                    80's Jeff

I'm having a similar issue.  With MPE GPU acceleration on I get what I can best describe as "vertical streaks," which get especially bad when I have a title card or transition over the video.  When I change MPE to software only, no problem what so ever.  Here is a picture of what I'm getting with GPU acceleration on:sample.jpg

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance

• 39. Re: Serious Flaw in MPE?
                                                                                      Colin Brougham Level 6

I think your issue is completely different. It would be wise to start a new thread with all relevant details about your system, setup, and footage.

1 2 Previous Next