24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2011 3:31 AM by maryblo

InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?

maryblo

HI All

I updated a few months ago with no problems with CS5.5. I am running10.6.8 on an iMac.

Here's my problem:

I am working on a 40 page document with paragraph and character styles. The document works as expected EXCEPT when I try to alter my styles.  This document was created in 5.5. When I go into the styles dialogue box, I can make changes, but once I client "OK", I get the beach ball and must force quit. Also get the beach ball on trying to delete documents. Version is 7.5.0. I was going to update but the 7.5.1 doesn't appear to be a fix since I have no 3rd party plugins for InDesign installed.

I have tried:

1. deleting preferences (doesn't seem to help)

2. moving pages into a new document (crash)

3. deleting and creating new style (let's me do it but once i get to the dialog box, I get the beach ball and must force quit)

4. deleting files on my computer (spoke with adobe)

5. renaming my document

6. save as

7. export as IDML (crashes as page 5)

8. turned my preflight off

9. turned off my fonts (thinking it was a font issue)

10. reinstalling InDesign

This happened a few weeks ago, I thought it was a corrupt file issue, so I went back to a previous version from the morning- and that seemed to work for a while. I have searched the forum and the internet to see if anyone else is having a problem

I did have this problem where I spoke to Adobe and we came up with a corrupt file. But again? and same issues?

I am stumped. Anyone? I would appreciate some insight!

• 1. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have two mutually exclusive hunches.

No. 1: Have you tried turning off Live Preflight?

but

No. 2:

Also get the beach ball on trying to delete documents.

Sounds like corrupt files due to network problems to me. Nothing you could possibly do to InDesign would prevent you from deleting files.

Lastly, 7.5.2 is out... the list of fixed issues is long. Even if you don't think they apply to you, you should install it anyways.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
            maryblo Level 1

Now that I have started this thread, I see many more people seem to have a somewhat similar issue on the IMac. So I am trying some other things

I mis typed. I am not able to delete pages within my document.

Live preflight is off.

Did the update. Didn't work.

Darn. I was hoping it was as easy as that!

• 3. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
              maryblo Level 1

so here's an update to more things I have tried to no avail:

1. delete SING file

2. update CS to 7.5.2

3. Installed InDesign Patch 7.5.2.318

4. Disabled background expost with DisableAsyncExport.txt file

5. Ran Cleaner (gave me an error so I had to reinstall)

6. reinstalled CS5.5, ran updates again

7. Updated Suitcase Fusion 3

8. ran all other updates recommended by Software update

9. Disabled Auto activation of fonts in Suitcase.

Nothing. Would anyone be willing to look at my InDesign Error log?

Thanks.

Mary

• 5. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                John Hawkinson Level 5

Mary: Wow, you've got a lot going on.

Just to be very clear:

2. moving pages into a new document (crash)

3. deleting and creating new style (let's me do it but once i get to the dialog box, I get the beach ball and must force quit)

7. export as IDML (crashes as page 5)

You are distinguishing between a crash, where the program quits and you get the Apple and Adobe crash reporters, versus a hang (3), where you must force quit, right?

Can you please upload the crash reports to http://pastebin.com/ so I can take a look at them?

Nothing. Would anyone be willing to look at my InDesign Error log?

Well, that doesn't seem very helpful. I'm never clear on what autogenerates these, but:

Event:           hang
                Duration:        5.29s (sampling started after 2 seconds)
                Steps:           13 (100ms sampling interval)

13 steps isn't enough samples to see what is going on.

When you see a hang, there are two diagnostics you can get that will let us see more about what is going on, both from Activity Monitor:

1. select the process, click Sample Process, save to a file, upload to pastebin.com.

2. Choose View > Send Signal: Abort (SIGABRT) and that will force the process to crash, and generate a crash report. Upload to pastebin.com.

The first will look very similar to the log you posted, but with samples every millisecond instead of every 100 milliseconds.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                  maryblo Level 1

Yes on the crash vs hang (force quit)

2 moving pages - now only 12 steps

http://pastebin.com/2NwQTdxm

sample process: pastbin saying it's too big. I have it saved. is there a certain portion you want me to send?

abort: http://pastebin.com/L55bwLj3

3. paragraph styles - 11 steps

http://pastebin.com/BTdLE8iQ

sample process: http://pastebin.com/iuQpaWB1

abort: http://pastebin.com/nxDBmfPb

7. export as IDML - crash

http://pastebin.com/jmgFXExa

sample process: pastbin saying it's too big. I have it saved. is there a certain portion you want me to send?

abort: http://pastebin.com/kWhtW7ir

I appreciate you taking a look at this.

Mary

• 7. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                    John Hawkinson Level 5

Well, that's a lot of data!

2 moving pages - now only 12 steps

http://pastebin.com/2NwQTdxm

abort: http://pastebin.com/L55bwLj3

Well, this is peculiar.

The 12 step sample is again probably too little information to be useful, I don't see anything obvious about it.

Too big? Wow. Process execution is divided into "threads" which are indepdendent portions of the program that execute in parallel. Only one is running at any given instant, and usually we are only interested in the "main thread." The sample process output gives us sampling for each thread, and there usually a couple dozen. But typically the other threads are idle and generate less output. Anyhow, assuming the main thread is the problem, it's the output that we want. That's everything from

Call graph:

2133 Thread_31561   DispatchQueue_1: com.apple.main-thread  (serial)

through:

2133 Thread_31571   DispatchQueue_2: com.apple.libdispatch-manager  (serial)

You could also email it to me.

The first crash log you provide (from an abort) is quite peculiar. The main thread is the one that was executing, but it appears to be completely idle:

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0   libSystem.B.dylib                  0x95221afa mach_msg_trap + 10

1   libSystem.B.dylib                  0x95222267 mach_msg + 68

2   com.apple.CoreFoundation           0x906952df __CFRunLoopRun + 2079

3   com.apple.CoreFoundation           0x906943c4 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 452

4   com.apple.CoreFoundation           0x906941f1 CFRunLoopRunInMode + 97

5   com.apple.HIToolbox                0x94e86e04 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 392

6   com.apple.HIToolbox                0x94e86bb9 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 354

7   com.apple.HIToolbox                0x9500f137 ReceiveNextEvent + 83

8   ...adobe.InDesign.AppFramework     0x1b312ace 0x1b310000 + 10958

9   ...adobe.InDesign.AppFramework     0x1b33838a GetPlugIn + 14282

10  com.adobe.InDesign                 0x000028ab main + 187

11  com.adobe.InDesign                 0x000027c6 start + 54

That is, it's just sitting there waiting for the operating system to tell it that you clicked a button or pressed a key. This is what you'd expect to see if you Aborted InDesign when nothing was happening, not when you saw a spinning beach ball. But also, you said you saw an actual crash from Move Pages, not a hang. So I am a bit confused here. Can you expand the narrative?

On the other hand, thread 26 of that crash does appear to have some activity.

Especially:

Thread 26:

0   libSystem.B.dylib                  0x9525082e pread$UNIX2003 + 10

1   ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore     0x9411ab30 BasicRead(FileRecord*, short, long long, unsigned long long*, void*, unsigned long long*) + 952

2   ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore     0x9411a73f PBReadForkSync + 117

3   ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore     0x9411a6b6 FSReadFork + 59

4   DataBaseLib.dylib                  0x011d6ba7 DBUtils::GetUIDPersistedInterfaces(IDataBase*, IDType<UID_tag>, IDType<ClassID_tag>, IPMPersist*, std::vector<IDType<ImplementationID_tag>, std::allocator<IDType<ImplementationID_tag> > >&) + 125735

5   DataBaseLib.dylib                  0x011da9f7 DBUtils::GetUIDPersistedInterfaces(IDataBase*, IDType<UID_tag>, IDType<ClassID_tag>, IPMPersist*, std::vector<IDType<ImplementationID_tag>, std::allocator<IDType<ImplementationID_tag> > >&) + 141687

6   DataBaseLib.dylib                  0x011d35dc DBUtils::GetUIDPersistedInterfaces(IDataBase*, IDType<UID_tag>, IDType<ClassID_tag>, IPMPersist*, std::vector<IDType<ImplementationID_tag>, std::allocator<IDType<ImplementationID_tag> > >&) + 111964

7   DataBaseLib.dylib                  0x011de0fe SUIDS::DefaultDiskSpaceExhaustedRetryCallback() + 4830

8   DataBaseLib.dylib                  0x011c9e6c DBUtils::GetUIDPersistedInterfaces(IDataBase*, IDType<UID_tag>, IDType<ClassID_tag>, IPMPersist*, std::vector<IDType<ImplementationID_tag>, std::allocator<IDType<ImplementationID_tag> > >&) + 73196

Just a shot in the dark, but given DefaultDiskSpaceExhaustedRetryCallback, are you running low on disk space? (probably not given the +4830 offset, but you never know...)

On to #3, paragraph styles:

The short sample seems to be about changing attribute values, fairly vague.

The long sample shows time spent in CTextAttributeSuite::ChangeParagraphDirection(), which seems surprising. Are you using the ME version of InDesign, or World Tools, or otherwise mixing Left-to-Right text with Right-to-Left (RTL) text?

Again, the forced crash doesn't look like InDesign is doing anything at all! Are you sure you uploaded the correct file?  The Thread 0 section should be longer than 11 frames, and be doing much more than CFRunLoop().

#7, export as IDML:

How can you have both sample process output and a crash, if InDesign crashed on its own? Did you collect the sample process data prior to trying the command?

The first output tell us that, unlike the typical case, the crash occurred in a thread other than the main thread, specifically thread 26:

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread:  26

On inspection, this isn't too surprising, since thread 26 appears to be exporting to IDML, and that normally happens in the background. Background tasks are excellent candidates for background threads.

Crash is in the PublicLib library called from the INXCore module called from the Saveback module, which feels unsurprising. All normal things for an IDML export (INX was the file format that IDML replaced in CS5, but not all internal modules were renamed).

Again, I am confused how you got to send the Abort signal if InDesign crashed on its own. Thread 26 seems to be in the middle of reading a file, nothing anomalous. And thread 0 is utterly idle.

There are several references to scripting -- are you running any scripts, and do you have any 3rd party add-ons or plugins installed?

Sorry there's no clear smoking gun, but perhaps we can find something.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

Mary:

When I said email to me, I meant click on my profile picture and find my email address and send it. If you just reply to the public post, then it goes to the forum servers, which throw away attachments.

Also, you should probably edit your post to remove your personal information and try to avoid including it on future posts. Otherwise it is available for all the world to see.

• 9. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                        maryblo Level 1

Thanks for hanging in here with me.

you are right, it was a hang, not a crash on the move pages. not low on disk space.

This is what I am doing to get the forced crash report... maybe not correctl:

Open Activity Monitor.

Open file in InDesign.  Get hang

go to Activity monitor. Click on Indesign icon. View > Send Signal to Process > Abort

As far as the ME version, no. I should be using english. At least not that I know of. How would I check? No on world tools. I setup paragrph styles so I can't imagine the dialogue box would allow me to choose both left to right and right to left. In the paragraph dialogue, it says English US

I did it several times. WEnt to Indesign and export as IDML. Quickly switch to Activity Monitor to abort.

What would be an example of a script? I don't believe I am running any... as well as 3rd party add ons, but is that only for InDesign? Could anything have been taken from CS4?  I also turned off anything other than adobe in extensions.

• 11. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                          John Hawkinson Level 5

This is what I am doing to get the forced crash report... maybe not correctl:

Open Activity Monitor.

Open file in InDesign.  Get hang

go to Activity monitor. Click on Indesign icon. View > Send Signal to Process > Abort

No, that's correct. I wonder if it was really hung when you gathered the data, though.

As far as the ME version, no. I should be using english. At least not that I know of. How would I check? No on world tools

You would know. For one thing, you would have paid a lot of extra money. And you'd be typesetting in Arabic or Hebrew or something.

What would be an example of a script? I don't believe I am running any... as well as 3rd party add ons, but is that only for InDesign? Could anything have been taken from CS4?  I also turned off anything other than adobe in extensions.

Well, I think the answer is "probably not," but you would be using the Scripts panel, having installed some software there. Or downloaded and installed an InDesign plugin, perhaps a font autoactivation plugin for Suitcase Fusion, or a cataloguing plugin like EmCatalog, or any number of things.

It sounds like Probably Not. Well, let me think about this some more and see. Perhaps later in the weekend...

• 12. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                            maryblo Level 1

SO... thinking as I am dreaming about this, I had a hunch.

I am thinking this issue is either:

1. font conflict : I have Suitcase Fusion 3 (updated with patch), extensions off.

2. adobe plugin problem (opened in 4 to get the list) since I have no 3rd party

I was going to work on the font conflict first since that seems most likely.

I do not seem to have hang/crash with a blank document or other documents that have other fonts. I can copy a block of text (with the suspect font) in a blank document and can replicate the error (hangs/crashes)..

http://pastebin.com/BeFDeQ5t

The file (with the suspect font) is the file I have the deadline on... so I need to try and get rid of the font within the document. I thought I could get rid of the font (with TYPE > FIND FONT > find/replace) to test the file but that gives me a hang too. Any workaround that you can think of?

Unfortunately (most of the time fortunately) I am a freelancer and can't dedicate 40+ hours to troubleshooting this issue. (argh) I need to be up and running tomorrow so I need some advise. I plan to ask a friend to try and export the file to IDML and see if she gets the hang. She does not have the suspect font on her system and ask her to replace with an alternate font. Do you think that would work?

Thanks for your help!

Mary

• 13. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can try removing the font from your system, then wait for ID to tell you it's missing when you open and use find font from there.

• 14. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                                maryblo Level 1

...tried throwing every instance of the suspect font on my machine away, but still get the hang.

• 15. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                                  maryblo Level 1

I 'll try it now.

Thanks.

• 16. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                                    maryblo Level 1

did that.  it's the semibold version of a font. The other fonts will change all. When I try it with the semibold, I get the hang.

• 17. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It hangs even when the font is removed from the system? Have you tried deleting the adobefnt**.lst files (where ** stands for a two digit number) and rebooting? What's  the font? Can you reinstall it from original media?

• 18. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                                        maryblo Level 1

Tried deleting the adobefnt file, restart, same thing. Hang on font replace (only the semibold). The font is ttf Walkway.

I deleted all occurances of the font (even on my external drives).

I reinstalled from the original. Try to change all. Still crashes/hangs.

Any other ideas? I am sending to a friend without the font to see if she can change it.

Thanks for your help.

• 19. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                                          maryblo Level 1

My friend had the same hang problem.

I tried creating a new style (worked), deleting the old style (hang)

Any more suggestions?

PLEASE...

• 20. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                                            John Hawkinson Level 5

Can you export the text in question as InDesign Tagged Text, an then re-import it into a new document?

1 person found this helpful
                                            • 21. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                                              maryblo Level 1

yes that does work, but I have about 80 hours into this 40 page document. I WAS on the home stretch. Maybe I should just delete all the text boxes - or Unformat - and start over. Yikes. Thanks for your help.

• 22. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                                                John Hawkinson Level 5

Well, if you're lucky, it is the text in one box or thread that is causing the problem. So you can Pages (panel) > Move Pages all the pages that don't include the problem box/thread/etc., and then redo those pages/threads/boxes by exporting their content to tagged text.

In fact, I suppose, if the issue is text, you can export toall the text to tagged txt, delete all the text in your document (leaving the empty frames behind), export to IDML, re-open, and then import the tagged text?

I guess a lot depends on how much text and non-text are in your document.

Sorry...

• 23. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                                                  maryblo Level 1

yup. that's what I am trying now.

I feel like crying for the last week. At least now, i have a plan. Hope it works

Thanks for your help!

• 24. Re: InDesign CS 5.5 styles corrupt?
                                                    maryblo Level 1

Turns out it was a corrupt text box. Deleted it and the file is fine. Took a long time to get there though.