8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2011 12:15 PM by Peter Spier

Help - License Agreement issues

GDW23aa

I purchased CS4 Standard - phoned the help line in the uk and understood that I could install SC4 with the serial code on my curret machine and then when I upgraded

to my new computer (in about 1 year) I could install CS4.

I have now done that - but photoshop opens and works - but indesign does not.

I get to the License Agreement,

click accept and then nothing happens...

any ideas?

• 1. Re: Help - License Agreement issues
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If youhave CS4 Standard,, there should be only one serial number requied for the entire suite, so I'm confused about the need to enter a new serial number.

What OS is the new machine?

• 2. Re: Help - License Agreement issues
            GDW23aa Level 1

it is windows 7

• 3. Re: Help - License Agreement issues

So, please describe, if you don't mind, the steps you are taking during installation, and when you are being asked for serial numbers. Is this an upgrade package? Downloaded or disks?

• 4. Re: Help - License Agreement issues
                GDW23aa Level 1

Ok it is like this...

I am UK based - but am in India at the moment on business.

I got the New laptop (64 bit) about 3 weeks ago, moved all my data across from the old machine (32 bit) , and then went about reinstalling my software.

An accounts package called Sage, Windows Office etc and the ofcourse CS4 - it all went fine.

I access all the software OK - But did not open Indesign as I only use it occasionally.

I now need to use indesign but cannot open it. I have just tried Illustrator and that opens fine as does photoshop?

Not sure why indesign does not work- any ideas?

• 5. Re: Help - License Agreement issues
                  GDW23aa Level 1

Sorry forgot to mention

SC4 is not an upgrade it is on a disc - but that disc is in my office in the UK at the mo...

• 6. Re: Help - License Agreement issues

GDW23aa wrote:

Ok it is like this...

I am UK based - but am in India at the moment on business.

I got the New laptop (64 bit) about 3 weeks ago, moved all my data across from the old machine (32 bit) , and then went about reinstalling my software.

An accounts package called Sage, Windows Office etc and the ofcourse CS4 - it all went fine.

I access all the software OK - But did not open Indesign as I only use it occasionally.

I now need to use indesign but cannot open it. I have just tried Illustrator and that opens fine as does photoshop?

Not sure why indesign does not work- any ideas?

This doesn't sound to me like what you desribed inthe first post... You said something there about needing to accept the license agreement (my mistake earier, I thought you said you needed to enter a serial number again), but here you don't mention that, just that ID does not open. There are lots of poetential reasons for that, and we need COMPLETE information about what is happening when you try to launch.

Are you launching from an icon or the start menu, or by doubleclicking a file? Do you see the ID splash screen? If so, what is the last message you see in the bottom of that screen? By "cannot open it" do you mean nothing happens, or that ID starts and then quits? If it Quits, do you see any error messages?

The more you tell us, the better chance we have of knowing what to do.

Also, please try creating a NEW account on the machine for testing, log into that new account, and launch ID. Does it work? Does your  curent account have administrator privileges?

• 7. Re: Help - License Agreement issues
                      GDW23aa Level 1

Thanks for the help.

OK to try and start ID I do the following:

I have tried to launch from the start icon - ID icon is there and then click ID -window appears:

License Agreement

To continue, you must accept the End User License Agreement ... etc

I then click

accept

window disappears and nothing else happens ...

I have also tried opening ID from an ID file doc (that I moved from thr old machine) same thing as above happens

License Agreement window appears, I click accept - window disappears and nothing else happens.

I have also tried to open ID by going to start/ all programs/adobe design standard cs4 and then clicking on the ID icon - same as above happens.

I have now also set up a new user and tried all the above options - but same thing happens. (the new user account does not have admin privs)

I have checked my account and it does have admin privs...

OK to summerise - I see no 'splash screen' when I try to open ID but the splash screen is there for PS and ILL.

The only thing that happens is the License Agreement window appears and when I click accept the window disappaears - and nothing further happens...

what do you suggest?

• 8. Re: Help - License Agreement issues

I don't recall if this patch wotks for CS4 as well as CS3, but the symptoms are somewhat similar. It says Acrobat and Vista, but it used to work for ID as well, and on ohter versions of Windows. It's worth a shot: Flexnet Patch

If that doesn't work I would normally suggest uninstalling, running the CS5 clean script (which will remove CS4 as well), then boot to a minmal configuration uing MSConfig and reinstall, but since you don't have the disks, that won't help. I don't recall ever being asked to accept the license agreement for a single application if the license was accepted (as it must be) during the initial installation of the suite.

Please try the new Account, too. It's possible this is just a problem in the current user.