4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2011 12:54 PM by Peter Spier

CS3 Leading Question

eyejacker21

Hey everyone,

I'm new here, and have a quick question. Any help will be really appreciated.

I was given an exercise book by a publishing house to do some corrections in.

The book was designed by another designer they had a falling out with.

The other designer has used a leading effect i'm not familiar with. I'm posting a screenshot:

InDesign Problem.png

As you can see the leading for all the text is 13.5pt, but paragraph 1.13 and 1.14 have a bigger gap between them than the regular lines of text.

How is this achieved?

Many thanks in advance,

ej

• 1. Re: CS3 Leading Question
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The numbered paragraphs probably have "Space Before" applied.

• 2. Re: CS3 Leading Question
            eyejacker21 Level 1

Thanks for your answer Peter,

How does one do that? is there a shortcut?

• 3. Re: CS3 Leading Question
              eyejacker21 Level 1

Thank you Peter!!

Very helpful, got it!!

• 4. Re: CS3 Leading Question
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It should be defined as part of the paragraph style, but since the designer didn't seem to know how to set a left indent on a paragraph and started things with tabs, it may not be. There's a section in the style definition dialog called Indents and Spacing where you would do it. It's also possible that instead of space before for the numbered paragraph, space AFTER was applied to the paragraphs with the arrow bullet. Fields for space before and after are accessible in both the Paragraph and Contol panels, so if you put the cursor in a paragaph you should be able to see what is applied (but not whether it is local formatting or part of the style). You'll need to do some looking.

I would also re-define the styles, myself, so there are proper left indents instead of leading tabs (and get rid of the leading tabs using find/change) and set a next style cycle for the three styles involved in that list, so that if you type in new entries they will automatically rotate through the three styles for each entry.