6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2011 8:24 AM by John T Smith

New system for CS5.5? Some advice please?

scott mackenzie Level 1

Hi- I am getting a new system built specifically to work with Production Premium CS5.5.

I'm afraid I know next to nothing about hardware!

These are some specs that the guys in the shop said would work?

Do you have any comments- will it work? Any better suggestions?

Many thanks

scott

Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 Intel X58 Socke1t. 0103 66 on1b5o0a.r00

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz Socket 13616. 080M B Cac2h3e2 .R00

6 x Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3 1600MHz/P6C.30-01 2800 M3e0m.o00

2 x Western Digital WD20EARS 2TB Hard Dr2i.v0e0 SATAII7 85.400

COOLERMASTER RC-502 CENTURION 5 II M1I.D0I0 TOWER 6C0A.S0

OCZ MODXSTREAM PRO 600W SILENT SLI, 1A.T0X02 MODUL6A6R. 00

XFX Radeon HD6770 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2.11. 0G0r aphic1s1 2C.a00

MS WINDOW 7 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT 1PK 1O.E0M0 85.00

LG BLU-RAY 10 X LIGHTSCRIBE BDRW I1N.T0E0R NAL RE7T2A.I00

• 1. Re: New system for CS5.5? Some advice please?
          RjL190365 Level 4

There are several major problems with that build:

1) The two WD Green hard drives are too slow for video editing. They spin at only 5400 RPM, not 7200 RPM.

2) The i7-950 and X58 combo is about to become obsolesced by the new LGA 2011 Sandy Bridge-E platform with the X79 chipset.

3) Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.x still does not support OpenCL GPU acceleration at all. In fact, the GPU accelerated mode requires an Nvidia CUDA GPU with 896MB or more VRAM in order to even work at all. As a result, the ATi GPU-equipped systems will run CS5.x only in software-only MPE mode, which is much, much slower than the GPU accelerated mode. In other words, the HD 6770 will be equally as slow as integrated motherboard graphics (as far as performance in CS5.x is concerned).

4) Windows 7 Home Premium will not see anywhere near the full 24GB of RAM. In fact, that OS is capped at 16GB of RAM total. You will need Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate in order to use more than 16GB of RAM.

5) That 600W PSU is nowhere near powerful enough to run a video editing system of this class. In fact, that OCZ PSU is not even that good quality-wise. You will need a reallty good quality 750W to 850W 80-Plus Gold rated PSU.

In other words, the guys in the shop know little to nothing about the stuff that they sell.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New system for CS5.5? Some advice please?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Instead of the i7-950, consider the i7-970. More expensive but a hexa core instead of a quad core.

Get an additional Samsung F4 320 GB disk for the OS & programs. Change the case for a CoolerMaster 932 HAF. Change the PSU for at least a Corsair AT-750. or at least a 750+ W Gold Label PSU. Lose the ATI Radeon and get a nVidia GTX 560+. Lose Win7 Home and go for Win7 Pro, otherwise your memory is completely wasted. Home does not support more than 16 GB and you intend to get 24 GB. Get rid of the WD EARS disks, because they are 'green' disks, get WD Caviar Blacks or Hitachi 7200 disks.

Scott, these guys at the shop are not very knowledgeable. I suggest you read some posts here by going to the overview tab at the top of the page and follow the FAQ articles and reading some posts here.

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: New system for CS5.5? Some advice please?
              RjL190365 Level 4

In addition, I forgot to mention that the Centurion case is completely outdated: It offers extremely poor cooling (woefully insufficient airflow) because it has only one 80mm front intake fan (and cannot accommodate any additional or larger front fans without serious metalwork). Couple that with a stock 120mm rear exhaust fan, and you'd have a dust vacuum that overheats all too easily.

This goes back to what I stated: The guys at the shop are equally as clueless as you are. And in this day and age of cost-cutting, the hiring of complete idiots over those who have even some knowledge of computers are all too common of a sight, especially since constantly low wages make even moderately experienced workers shy away from such jobs.

• 5. Re: New system for CS5.5? Some advice please?
                scott mackenzie Level 1

Thank you all very much!

It seems like i was going to make a costly mistake.

I will google some shops in the uk and see if they have any systems specifically built for HD editing.

Many thanks,

scott