2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2006 5:37 AM by

Populating a ComboBox from DB query

cheftimo Level 2
      Hello –

I have created a ComboBox to allow users to choose a category as a filter for a products catalog. The list of categories is returned by one of the functions of a ColdFusion CFC I’m using in the app; it has been tested and examined in the debugger and is returning the correct ArrayCollection.

For now, I have ended up hard coding the ArrayCollection that populates the ComboBox, like this:

<mx:ComboBox id="series" styleName="glass" width="250" rowCount="16"
      change="someFunction();">
      <mx:dataProvider>
      <mx:ArrayCollection>
      <mx:Object label="All Categories" data="0"/>
      <mx:Object label="Interlocking Puzzles" data="1"/>
      <mx:Object label="Math Games" data="2"/>
      // etc. - 16 categories
      </mx:ArrayCollection>
      </mx:dataProvider>
      </mx:ComboBox>

Of course, the above works fine, but I would prefer to use the CFC. I tried something like:

<mx:ArrayCollection id="categList" source="mx.utils.ArrayUtil.toArray(roService.roMethod.result);"
      <mx:ComboBox dataProvider="{categList}" />,
      but I don’t know how to tell the component what the ‘label’ is and what the ‘data’ is . I am sure this is an easy one for someone with a little experience. Please, somebody, give me an idea how to code this, or at least where I can look it up. I have read the whole help material, but can’t figure it out.

Regards,

Carlos
        • 1. Re: Populating a ComboBox from DB query
          ntsiii Level 3
          For top-level properties of your item objects (which I think you will have), just specify the labelField. For values in nested objects, or for calculated or concatenated columns, you wil need to use a labelFunction.

I advise against binding directly to the result ("lastResult", to be specific when binding) and advise using a result handler function in which you can inspect the exact structure of the event.result object (just "result" in an event handler).

To work up to this, why not hard code a bit of dataProvider that is EXACTLY what you think you will be getting from the CFC. Put it in a [Bindable] variable and bind the combobox dataProvider to that. Use labelField or labelFunction to get the combobox to work with that, then implement the data service call, and in its result handler, assign the event.result to the bindable variable. Voila!

Tracy
          • 2. Re: Populating a ComboBox from DB query
            Could you provide a short example of what you mean? I am returing an array collection from a cfc and I want to bind the results to a combobox.