3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2011 5:33 PM by pwillener

Firefox 7 wont play YouTube videos

Pauly Gone

Running Win7 x64. Upgraded to Firefox 7, then YouTube videos stopped playing. YouTube keeps insisting I need to 'install the latest flash player', which I have done several times, but Firefox refuses to play YouTube videos. Internet Explorer 9 (x64) plays YouTube videos fine.  I currently have Adobe Flash Player 11.0.1.152 installed.

When I click on a YT video, the message reads "You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video." and " Download it from Adobe" is a link to Adobe Flash Player, which says it includes the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Flash.  Click "Download Now" and install, but I still cant play YouTube videos in Firefox 7.

Someone in Firefox support suggested I go to "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\" and copy the "NPSWF32.dll" file.  Then I go to "...\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\vw1j8del.default", make a "plugins" folder inside the "vw1j8del.default" folder.  I paste the "NPSWF32.dll" file into the new plugins folder.  Then I can finally play YT vids in Firefox.

But this is an obscure workaround.  Why doesnt the Flash installer work correctly? 

• 1. Re: Firefox 7 wont play YouTube videos
          pwillener Level 8

I do not have a Plugins folder in my Firefox profile, and I can still view Youtube videos with Firefox 7.

I suggest you try the following

• go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/909550 and
            • download the 64-bit uninstaller
            • download the 64-bit installer
          • close all browser windows, then run the downloaded uninstaller
          • restart Windows
          • delete any remaining files in
            • C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash
            • C:\Windows\syswow64\Macromed\Flash
          • now run the downloaded installer

Should be working now, without the copied dll in your Firefox profile.

• 2. Re: Firefox 7 wont play YouTube videos
            Pauly Gone Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

I removed the copied dll I had placed in "AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\...plugins"  and I followed your steps exactly, but I still can not play YouTube videos in Firefox 7.  And now, I also can not play YouTube videos in Internet Explorer 9 x64 either.   

I keep getting the same message on YT "You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video."

Btw, I can play YouTube videos fine in Firefox 3 on an old machine running Windows 2000 and Flash v10,0,45,2.   This is all why I dread upgrading. It too often causes new problems.  And there's inadequate support for these apps that force you to upgrade.  I have been messing with this each day for six days now without an answer. 

• 3. Re: Firefox 7 wont play YouTube videos
              pwillener Level 8

Did you also run the ActiveX installer?

What files do you have in

• C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash ?
              • C:\Windows\syswow64\Macromed\Flash ?