8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2011 10:22 AM by the_wine_snob

PE10 crashes after inserting transition and moving timeline cursor to its location

DalePh

I have a 100% repro crashing bug in Premier Elements 10. No known workaround.

I have several clips on the timeline. I want a transition transition between two of the clips. I drag-drop a dissolve transition between the two clips. Then try to move the timeline with pageup down, clicking in timebar, etc.

100% crash.

WER (windows error reporting) logs all the crashes, they are all similar. Here is the report:

Source

Adobe Premiere Elements 10

Summary

Stopped working

Date

23-Oct-11 16:28

Status

Not reported

Description

Faulting Application Path:          C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10\Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name:          APPCRASH

Application Name:          Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

Application Version:          10.0.0.0

Application Timestamp:          4e791009

Fault Module Name:          StackHash_bc53

Fault Module Version:          0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp:          00000000

Exception Code:          c000041d

Exception Offset:          00000000189f7980

OS Version:          6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID:          1033

Additional Information 1:          bc53

Additional Information 2:          bc53ee79f4920d70d09a98542b233837

Additional Information 3:          b47c

Additional Information 4:          b47c0da250c35835ef10874a5c2b48ee

• 1. Re: PE10 crashes after inserting transition and moving timeline cursor to its location
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What operating system are you using? How fast is your process, how much RAM do you have and, above all, how much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your C drive? Also, let us know if you have an additional hard drive and how it is attached to your computer.

What model of camcorder did this video come from and how did you get it onto your computer? When you started up your Premiere Elements projecr, which project settings did you select?

If you are using the ideal project settings your clips will not have red lines above them on the timeline until you add effects to them. Is that the case in your project? And whenever you see red lines above your clips, have you pressed the Enter key to render the timeline so that these lines turn green?

• 2. Re: PE10 crashes after inserting transition and moving timeline cursor to its location
            DalePh Level 1

So far, seems that putting a dissolve transition between these two results in a crash on the next click on the mouse (sometimes sooner). There is no possibility to press enter to pre-render.

Crash only occurs so far between these clips. 100% of the time. (I have transitions between other clips with no problems) Will attempt to further isolate it. here's what I know so far.

PC is a Lenovo T61 w/ T7700, 8gb ram, 320gb hd (~50gb free)

media is on both the internal drive and on an external usb connected drive

scratches and caches are all on the internal drive

The two types of media came from:

Nikon D90 in which clip is mjpg 640x424 @ 24 fps with no audio

Sony XDCam in which the clip was transcoded using Sony's pro media browser into editable DV 720x576 25fps in AVI w/ PCM 16 stereo @ 48k

Project is 720x576 d1/dv PAL widewcreen

None troublesome clips show red. I can render green with return. Note that nothing is possible (it crashes) when you drag/drop a dissolve transition between these clips.

• 3. Re: PE10 crashes after inserting transition and moving timeline cursor to its location

You've got a number of issues going on, Dale.

First, ensure that your external hard drive is formatted NTFS. They come from the factory as FAT32, but FAT32 drives have a file size limiation that will choke your video work.

Premiere Elements can't work with video in non-standard sizes like 640x424. Is it possible your video is actually 640x480? If so, Premiere Elements will be able to edit it if you've shot it in 60p -- but not at 24 fps.

Also, you should not be using the 720x576 DV setting for your project. Since your video is coming from a DSLR, you should be using the DSLR project settings for a 640x480 video.

You Sony XDCam may not work at all in Premiere Elements. It's more of a professional format and may be beyond the scope of this program.

These issues alone are enough to cause the kind of behavior you've been seeing. Try loading some test footage shot at 640x480 in a project set up for DSLR 640x480 and work with it on a drive that's formatted NTFS and defragmented and you should see great improvements in your performance.

• 4. Re: PE10 crashes after inserting transition and moving timeline cursor to its location
                DalePh Level 1

I caution other's reading Steve's reply. There's a lot of misinformation in it. I do appreciate his good intentions and this is a learning opportunity.

It is not necessary that the external drive be formatted NTFS. PE supports fat32 drives with no documented limitations. In addition, the video being on the external drive does not cause problems with the other 15+ video clips that I am using. I doubt it is the variable; the thing different which prompts PE to crash. In addition, Adobe documents no restriction on the use of FAT32 on external drives in their official documentation at http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements/tech-specs.html. If there is a limitation, then that is a failure on Adobe's part to document as such.

PE can use many resolutions of media as assets. Still image like JPGs as well as video can be various sizes. PE for many versions allows you to scale them larger and smaller. I can find no documentation which states that customers are limited to a resolution as you provide. I remind you that there is more in the world of video than 640x480.

I'm complete accurate in my 640x424 @ 24fps information. PE is able to import it, apply effects, and render it with no difficulties. There is no limitation documented at http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS300DE01D-F057-4639-96D1-F99EEE163C24. html. If there is a limitation, then that is a failure by Adobe. They should not import the file and they should documentation the limitation. It is only a specific transition between two specific clips. I suspect it is a test case they didn't test and therefore didn't find the crashing bug.

720x576 DV is the correct setting. 640x480 is a completely improper aspect ratio and no one should choose that for a project like mine. Again, there is more to the world than 640x480. PAL is the european standard for video (not NTSC which you are limiting your answers to). The standard for PAL DV widescreen is 720x576. I am PAL. This is exactly what I need to have. And the exact project settings that I choose.

Sony XDCam does not work in Premier Elements. I know that and also documented that in my answers above. The video was transcoded into DV. Compliant, editable, DV which is clearly supported by PE. And that perfectly matches the project settings which I choose: PAL DV widescreen.

I am not going to run test cases in 640x480. That would be sillly. That's not the project, the footage, nor the goal.

I do appreciate your intentions. Really. But you provided a great deal of misinformation which could mislead less experienced people than I.

• 5. Re: PE10 crashes after inserting transition and moving timeline cursor to its location

You may well be right, Dale.

My answers are only based on 7 years of working with this program, 6 years of hosting this forum, several books and over 10,000 posts helping people. But it's up to you whether or not you'd like to take my advice.

• 6. Re: PE10 crashes after inserting transition and moving timeline cursor to its location
                    DalePh Level 1

I don't doubt that you've said and written a lot. Right at the beginning I noted your good intentions.

Thre is nothing that you wrote that matches Adobe documentation. There is nothing you wrote that is applicable. For example, you don't even acknowledge your oversignt (or mistake) ragarding PAL DV format.

I'm sure you have helped many others. This particular topic, you are not adding value.

• 7. Re: PE10 crashes after inserting transition and moving timeline cursor to its location
                      nealeh Level 5

DalePh wrote:

I have a 100% repro crashing bug in Premier Elements 10. No known workaround.

I have several clips on the timeline. I want a transition transition between two of the clips. I drag-drop a dissolve transition between the two clips. Then try to move the timeline with pageup down, clicking in timebar, etc.

100% crash.

I'd like to clarify what you mean when you say "I have a 100% repro crashing bug". I would take that to mean you have the problem when creating a dissolve transition between any two clips in any project. Is this what you mean, or is it just the transition between two specific clips in only this project?

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: PE10 crashes after inserting transition and moving timeline cursor to its location
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

It is not necessary that the external drive be formatted NTFS. PE supports fat32 drives with no documented limitations.

Sorry, but I must disagree. The well-documented limitation IS 4GB for the files' sizes with FAT-32. That limitation does not exist with NTSF.

One additional consideration, when using USB externals, is the connection speed. Especially with older USB 2.0 externals, many issues can appear, as the connection speed is too slow, and both the OS and the NLE program can time-out. Many users report better, and more stable performance, with newer USB 2.0 externals. I have read of no issues with USB 3.0 connections. This ARTICLE goes into more detail on using externals. Note: several users have NEVER encountered any issues with USB 2.0 connections, but others (myself included) have. YMMV.

PE can use many resolutions of media as assets. Still image like JPGs as well as video can be various sizes. PE for many versions allows you to scale them larger and smaller. I can find no documentation which states that customers are limited to a resolution as you provide. I remind you that there is more in the world of video than 640x480.

PrE CAN Scale large images, and also Video. However, this requires processing power, and many overly large images can bring even a stout system to its knees. This ARTICLE goes into much more detail.

Hunt