2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2011 1:02 PM by joemama2010

HP Pavilion dv7-4087cl True Vision Webcam Capture?

joemama2010

Hello,

I have a new HP notebook that meets all the system requirements for using Premiere CS5.5 and it has an integrated HD webcam that I cannot seem to capture with using any of the adobe products. I saw a thread that on location recognizes the webcam like it does on mine as well but that it is just a glitch and that in order to capture with a webcam it would have to connected via usb or firewire. I don't think this is totally accurate though because the MediaSmart software that comes with the PC captures and overlays effects and such just like you would be able to do if you had it set up right in premiere after effects onlocation etc. I was just wondering if anybody else has also tried to do this and got it to work?

I work in a professional studio and use the same software with professional equipment and I understand that your project settings need to be set up correctly in order to capture in premiere. ex: installed an AJA breakout card and after the install premiere has a preset for capturing with the device. So my question would be is there a way to set the HP MediaSmart Webcam up to be a capture device? I guess I could always capture with MediaSmart and then import to premiere but that's lame and I want to make my own effects and things around the facial recognition and stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

• 1. Re: HP Pavilion dv7-4087cl True Vision Webcam Capture?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I have a new HP notebook that meets all the system requirements for using Premiere CS5.5

Not at all, it does not have TWO physically separate 7200 RPM disks. But apart from that issue, you can only capture from tape based cameras over firewire, not from a webcam. You can only import those files, but the codec in use needs to be recognized by PR and my guess is that the codec used by the HP software is not. In that case you need to convert to an editable format or use more consumer oriented software like the HP software.

• 2. Re: HP Pavilion dv7-4087cl True Vision Webcam Capture?
            joemama2010 Level 1

Thanks for the feedback, however, I am not a rookie here and I and I am not having a problem with codecs at all, and yes I can bring footage in and edit it easily, I love using premiere. Also I have no problems hooking up a usb webcam or dv cam and capturinging, it's only the internal cam I have an issue with. I know it is prefferred to have a raid set up with high speed drives and all but if you check it's not required, that's the main reason I use premiere and not some clunky old school system like Velocity HD  Here is what it says in the specs "

• 7200 RPM hard drive for editing compressed video formats; RAID 0 for uncompressed"