2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2011 9:55 PM by dwk2626

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit

dwk2626

I can not get version 10 of Adobe Reader to work on the Windows 7  SP1 64bit platform.

I get this error message using the installed desktop Adobe Icon..

The properties of the icon do indeed point directly to the installed location...and can be verified...

Windows can not find'C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and try again.

The program states that it successfully installed on my system after downloading from this web site, and using the File Manager, I can attest that the program is indeed installed at the location during install...

I have even tried launching the program with just the .exe file, getting the same resulting error message...

Appreciate any help!

Thanks

dwk2626

• 1. Re: Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit
          pwillener Level 8

So you are saying that AcroRd32.exe is present at C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader but Windows cannot find it?  That sounds like something is wrong with Windows.

I have Reader X on Windows 7 Pro x64 (SP1) and no such problem.  I suggest that you either try to repair your Reader installation, or uninstall/reinstall.

• 2. Re: Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit
            dwk2626 Level 1

Yes!

Been there done that, several times, tried repairing and a clean reinstall of both version 9 and 10....

Neither will launch and both return the same message error....

I have no idea what is causing the problem. Or where to look!

I did notice that the desktop Adobe Icon properties doesn't show the location as listed above, but rather one in the hidden directory 'Program Data'.....

Tried redirecting the icon to point to the corrected directory listed above, but that still got the same message! No change!

Maybe I should try moving the files from the (x86) directory to the hidden one.....??

It seems to only have the install setup files....Not the extracted ones like (x86)

I ran the Windows 7 trouble shooter, and was informed by it that the Adobe Reader is "incompatible"..??

Tried the recommended fix; all to no avail! Still get the listed error!!!

I recently moved from the Windows XP 32bit platform to Windows 7 64 bit platform!

This required a complete clean install (HD Format)

Everything has been fine, all my old stuff reinstalled or upgraded/updated as needed and have worked just fine!

Just not Adobe Reader!!!