10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2011 5:39 PM by wil_li

Need a better understanding

killen1234 Level 1

If I understnad this correctly I should load and unload the script listerner plugin when not making tutorals as it will bog down Photoshop? Is there any chance you can supply a more detailed instruction on installing the plugin for those of us who are not code knowledgeable. I think this tool will be the biggest help ever for those of us who are classroom and on line teachers. I hope it comes to the rest of the suite as well.

• 1. Re: Need a better understanding
          ablichter Level 2

I hope I get you right - I understand you talk about ScriptListener only?!

Some say it does slow PS down, some say it won't.

Anyway - installation consist simply by copying the "ScriptListener.8li" to Photoshops plugin folder and in deleting it later for uninstalling.

Or rename it for example to "ScriptListener.8il_off" to disable and back to "ScriptListener.8il" enable it.

Don't forget to restart Photoshop after each of this action.

• 2. Re: Need a better understanding
            killen1234 Level 1

Thanks for the update and we were able to install and the tutorial opens and we answer yes that we want to use the picture as our before image. When we say yes we get a message that says Script Alert. It says this function may not be available in this Photoshop version (we have 12.04) or could not save in C:/program files…. Png becaseu the file is locked or you do not have access previelieges. I have no idea what this means as we use this program every day with no issues when we open files.

Can you advise what steps we are missing?

Thank you

• 3. Re: Need a better understanding
              killen1234 Level 1

One other question please. We’ve watched the tutorial several times and I wonder if this actually works on a PC? Further can you print out the tutorial or do you need an Ipad to view the tutorial? Can it be saved as a pdf for on line distribution as an interactive document as well? 

Thank you for your help and patience with us.

• 4. Re: Need a better understanding
                ablichter Level 2

When we say yes we get a message that says Script Alert. It says this function may not be available in this Photoshop version (we have 12.04) or could not save in C:/program files…. Png becaseu the file is locked or you do not have access previelieges. I have no idea what this means as we use this program every day with no issues when we open files.

I does work on PC

Try a different path, eg. save to Desktop or to your Documents path. Just a place to which you allowed to save to and where you will find them quick. You might not allowed to save in / beneath C:\ or C:\program files\ 

Thought this error was related to the output path, but it is path to which the before/after PNGs are saved temporarily.

The user you are working with needs to have write access to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Plug-ins\Panels" and/or "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Panels" - depends with which CS Version you are working with.

• 5. Re: Need a better understanding
                  ablichter Level 2

We’ve watched the tutorial several times and I wonder if this actually works on a PC? Further can you print out the tutorial or do you need an Ipad to view the tutorial? Can it be saved as a pdf for on line distribution as an interactive document as well? 

Hm, she "Show me in Photoshop" links might not work. Regarding this links I am not sure, if they already are working somewhere with some kind of API or meant as a concept.

The Tut Builder generates a html-page which can be printed or populated on a webserver. Say you name your tutorial "mynewtut", you will find a folder "mynewtut" and in there a folder "html" when it was saved. In there is a file "mynewtut.html" which can be opened and printed.

Only the html-folder needs to be uploaded to a webserver, if you want to populate it  But have in mind, that images are saved 1:1, so if you work on large images, they might take ages when viewed in web.

Most steps in my test tutorial were made by plugins (Topaz and PictureBender) which are not supported yet ;-) If some wants at least the name of the unsupported plugin in the tut, it needs to be started via an action. See step #10.

• 6. Re: Need a better understanding
                    killen1234 Level 1

Okay, I believe you’re right. It needs to be saved somewhere else, but it is not giving us an option to choose where to save it.  It is automatically saving it to Program Files. How do we change that?

Thanks,

Bob

• 7. Re: Need a better understanding
                      killen1234 Level 1

What I want to know is can the tutorial be created on the desktop computer then viewed on the same computer or must it be viewed with an iPad or other tablet?

Trying to get a full understanding of how this works.

Thanks for all your help, it’s greatly appreciated.

• 8. Re: Need a better understanding
                        ablichter Level 2

Okay, I believe you’re right. It needs to be saved somewhere else, but it is not giving us an option to choose where to save it.  It is automatically saving it to Program Files. How do we change that?

I believe it is not possible to change the location for the temp-files. You need to set the proper access (write) rights for the panel folder.

I hope the location for temp-files will be changed in the next releases - it makes no sense at all to write to Photoshops panel folders; instead it should be users or systems temp-folder or similar.

I just imagine what happens on a terminal-/citrix-server, where users for a reason should not have access to C: at all.  If you grant access, all users would write to the same folder, hinder each other or - since the temp-files will be delete when the Builder is started -, user 2 delete files of user 1, and so on...

• 9. Re: Need a better understanding
                          ablichter Level 2

What I want to know is can the tutorial be created on the desktop computer then viewed on the same computer or must it be viewed with an iPad or other tablet?

As said: the Builder creates plain HTML-pages - so the tuts can be viewed on the same computer and on any, to which you send / copy the folders (I explained above) to:

2011-10-25_201014.jpg

You see several folders (2,3,4,5,23,mytutorial) to the left, which represents the test-tutorials I already did.  Doubleclicking on mytutorial.html will open it in the default webbrowser (here viewed in my filemanger without the need to open it, to the right)

Only the "Show me in Photoshop" don't work this way, because a PC (and as I believe a MAC) don't know about the protocol behind the "Show me in Photoshop" feature.

• 10. Re: Need a better understanding
                            wil_li Adobe Employee

As ablichter points out, the tutorials can be viewed on any platform (Windows, Mac, etc.).  As for the "Show me in Photoshop" feature, this currently will not work if you are viewing the tutorials in a regular web browser.  Here's the excerpt from our Release Notes:

"You can view the generated HTML tutorial in a Web browser (we have primarily tested on IE8 and Firefox 6), but the "Show me in Photoshop" links will not work.  In order to enable this functionality, you will need to build a simple Webkit based application that loads the tutorial and sends the code embedded in the HTML file to a running instance of Photoshop via the Touch SDK.  In the future, we hope to release such an application with Tutorial Builder."

In our next update (which you should see on the Adobe Labs page in the next couple of days), we are releasing a Tutorial Player AIR application that lets you view Tutorial Builder tutorials *and* drive Photoshop via the "Show me in Photoshop" links.  If you want to share your interactive tutorials with somebody else, they will have to install the Tutorial Player AIR application (no need for them to install the Tutorial Builder plug-in).  Then, if you just send them the HTML folder of the tutorial, they should be able to view it and drive Photoshop as well.

Hope this helps!

w