5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2011 12:41 AM by Tomasthanes

Can't update Adobe Reader X (v10.1.1)

Tomasthanes Level 1

I'm running Adobe Reader X on a Windows 7 Professional x64 system.  When I click on Help --> Check for Updates, I get the following message: "Update failed | To update Adobe Reader you need administrator privileges on this machine. | Error: 1200".

I have administrator privileges on this account that I'm logged in with and have no problems updating other software (Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.).

This sounds like a software defect.  This this kind of bug, there's no way that I would actually start the program as Administrator.

How can I get this fixed?  TIA

• 1. Re: Can't update Adobe Reader X (v10.1.1)
          LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

Here is what might help in order of preference-

1. Restart the system and try again.

2. Check if one of the values below is set to 1 in the registry  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

DisablePatch

DisableLUAPatching

If any of them set, delete or change the value to 0.

Good luck

• 2. Re: Can't update Adobe Reader X (v10.1.1)
            Tomasthanes Level 1

Neither of these were set.  If they were, wouldn't they affect all software installed/updated via the Windows Installer?  The only problem is with Acrobat Reader X.

• 3. Re: Can't update Adobe Reader X (v10.1.1)
              Tomasthanes Level 1

One person suggested:

Try this:

- Launch the command prompt with administrator rights:

- Click the start button>All programs>Accessories

- Right click on "Command Prompt" and select run as administrator

- In the command prompt,

- Go to the Reader install location (typically cd c:\Program files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader")

- Type "acrord32.exe" to launch Reader

- In Reader - Help > Check for udpates

While this works, it is cumbersome.

If my account is already in the Administrator group, why shouldn't "Check for Updates" work for Adobe Reader X the way it does for every other installed program on my PC?

• 4. Re: Can't update Adobe Reader X (v10.1.1)
                LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

I assume that you tried restarting your system and it did not help, right?

Do you have User Account Control turned On?

If not, would it be possible for you to turn it On, restart the system and try "Check for updates" from Reader Help menu?

You can always re-set UAC back.

• 5. Re: Can't update Adobe Reader X (v10.1.1)
                  Tomasthanes Level 1

User account control has 4 settings.  One down from the top if the default setting.  I typically keep it down one notch from the default setting (one setting up from the bottom).

I set it back to the default setting and it was able to check for updates.

I set it back down a notch and it was still able to check for updates.

I suspect that running Adobe Reader X as Administrator as "One person suggested" above may have cleared some magical condition.

So, whatever the issue was, seems to have cleared.  Not my favorite kind of resolution, but it works.

Thank you, LeoAdobeX.