4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2011 11:44 AM by George_Johnson

Adobe Reader 9.4.6 on my computer - is this Acrobat?

DevAcro

Hello,

I downloaded a program from Adobe to display pdf files. I did not remember the exact link. It turns to be "Adobe Reader 9.4.6" from the About Screen. At an early stage I downloaded the X version but it crashed so I uninstalled it.

Now, I see that it allows me to comment a pdf file, namely "Microsoft_Press_ebook_Programming_Windows_Phone_7_PDF", while it does not allow me to comment another file. But I was said about differences between Acrobat and Reader, for example the need of a license to develop plugins for Reader, not for Acrobat.

-Is this program Reader or Acrobat?

-Does Acrobat let the user comment pdf files?

-Is "Adobe Reader 9.4.6"  the official free tool from Adobe to display and comment pdf files, available free to all users?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader 9.4.6 on my computer - is this Acrobat?
          AbhigyanModi Adobe Employee

- If you about>plug-ins says Adobe Reader, that's what you have (and not Acrobat which unlike Reader is a paid program)

- Reader X provides certain commenting tools. You should be able to add comments and highlight text using commenting tool

- Reader 9.4.6 does not have free commenting tools, there can be certain special PDFs where this is allowed but not generically

- The paid product - Acrobat will let you comment any PDF as long as the author of the PDF has not applied security to the file disabing it

- Both Reader 9.4.6 and 10 are free products from Adobe. As I note earlier in my reply, only Reader X has free commenting. Both Reader X and Reader 9 will let you view and PDFs and comments.

- You can develop plug-ins for both Reader and Acrobat products using the free SDK. For Reader, you need to get a special certificate (available at small cost) that needs to be embedded in your plug-in.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader 9.4.6 on my computer - is this Acrobat?
            DevAcro Level 1

Thank you very much.

Can you confirm what I got from your answers?

- Adobe Reader is a free program.

I need to get a special certificate if I create a plugin for it.

It has not free commenting tools but some pdf documents display the commenting tools menu (I see it, but could it be caused by installing/uninstalling the X version before?).

- Adobe Acrobat is a paid program.

I do not need a special certificate if I create a plugin for it.

It has free commenting tools.

Thanks in advance.

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader 9.4.6 on my computer - is this Acrobat?
              AbhigyanModi Adobe Employee

Can you confirm what I got from your answers?

- Adobe Reader is a free program. [Yes]

I need to get a special certificate if I create a plugin for it. [YES]

It has not free commenting tools but some pdf documents display the commenting tools menu (I see it, but could it be caused by installing/uninstalling the X version before? [probably]).

- Adobe Acrobat is a paid program [Yes].

I do not need a special certificate if I create a plugin for it [Yes].

It has free commenting tools [Yes, but really no - it's not free as you are paying for Acrobat :-)].

Thanks in advance.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Adobe Reader 9.4.6 on my computer - is this Acrobat?
                George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

FWIW, Reader 10 is able to add sticky note and text highlight comments if the document is not secured against it. Previous version required that the document have commenting usage rights in order to add any type of comments.