4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2011 9:06 AM by Lewiz

Premiere HD sequence keeps crashing during export

Lewiz Level 1

Hi there everyone,

Today I experienced a problem completely new to me. I tried exporting an HD sequence to a small WMV for use on the web. I used Ctrl-M (export media) to export directly without using the queue. No matter what kind of export settings I entered, the export render fails roughly halfway and Premiere hangs. I also tried an uncompressed Quicktime export, which crashed at about 25% in the same manner.

The workaround for this issue appeared to be using the queue instead of a direct export... which comes a little strange to me as SD sequences never seem to fail like this. Anyone any ideas?

Thanx in @vance,

Tom

• 1. Re: Premiere HD sequence keeps crashing during export
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Explain crash.

Is it not responding, showing an error message, is it a BSOD, is it rebooting the machine?

What is the hardware in use? What OS, which version, what source material, what export settings, etc.? Are there blank spots in your timeline?

• 2. Re: Premiere HD sequence keeps crashing during export
            Lewiz Level 1

Hi Harm,

Thanks for taking time to answer. What happens is I get a Windows error message stating 'Premiere has stopped working' and I can choose to end the program straight away or let Windows find a solution and then stop the program; a definitie frozen situation. So I guess it stops responding.

I have a Matrox MX02 LE graphic system, Windows 7 SP 1, version 5.0.3 of Premiere, HD source material (1440x1080) in the standard Matrox HD codec and I have tried exporting to a 1024 x 576 Quicktime with compression set to NONE for both audio and video. I also tried exporting to WMV 1024 x 576 in the highest variable unconstrained bitrate for A/V available.

There are no blank spots in the timeline.

As said, using the queue feature for export, leading to the full start of the Media Encoder appeared to be a workaround.

Then again, I tested exporting the same thing directly, so without queuing, from an SD project, which worked nicely.

I therefore suppose it must have something to do with the HD to SD conversion, but it beats me what it could be.

• 3. Re: Premiere HD sequence keeps crashing during export
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Often these kind of problems can be solved by updating to the latest Matrox drivers or even removing Matrox altogether. My personal opinion is that it is best to use Matrox stuff only in the way is was designed for, as a highly effective doorstop. Any other use may lead to severe headaches.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere HD sequence keeps crashing during export
                Lewiz Level 1

Hi Harm,

I am going to try a driver update. It might have something to do with the HD codec anyway. And luckily the workaround isn't that awkward or unusual.

Thanks for your help anyway!