3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2011 9:31 PM by Petteri_Paananen

Need to publish a magazine with flipping pages and embedded links.

DS8108 Level 1

I need to publish a magazine with flipping pages and embedded links.

I use all Adobe products and there is surely a way to accomplish this task with existing Adobe products. We are considering purchasing a product at http://www.inhousedigitalpublishing.com

I really like their product, but I'd rather put my money into a software and upgade to Adobe. Can anyone tell me if you are publishing a similar piece with Adobe or can give me any advice on the matter?

There is a program for iPad publishing..I'm also wondering if you can use the same program for other devices that respond to a mouse instead of the finger/hand?

• 1. Re: Need to publish a magazine with flipping pages and embedded links.
          DS8108 Level 1

Seriously? Nobody knows anything? Not even a moderator?

I actly just read up on the Adobe InDesign CS5.5 and downloaded the trail version. It appears that if it works correctly, it does offer most everything I need and not even Adobe customer service knew this since they told me that it doesn't have these features. Uggh And if they don't know and it's their product...wow!

Anyway, I'm having an issue now where I export to SWF and the url links I made are not working. I cannot figure out what could be the problem. They work when exported to pdf, but not swf.

Any ideas? Anyone?

• 2. Re: Need to publish a magazine with flipping pages and embedded links.
            DS8108 Level 1

I'm actually cracking myself up right now. I have a nice discussion going on with myself.

UPDATE:  The issue was that it doens't work in preview, only when published. I should have known since those issue also come up with web development tools. Rookie mistake.

If anyone has questions, feel free to join in on this discussion as I will continue to work this one out.

• 3. Re: Need to publish a magazine with flipping pages and embedded links.
              Petteri_Paananen Level 4

I think digital publishing (flash flip-page and/or iPad) is very difficult or even impossible with InDesign only, so if you want to have professional results, you probably have to purchase something extra.

For flash-flip-page publishing one interesting combination of tools is InDesign + eDocker2. eDocker2 finalizes SWF you have exported from InDesign and creates a customizable user interface "around" it. It also creates some features that InDesign doesn´t, like zooming, dragging zoomed pages etc. Of course it cost´s something but it´s not even nearly as expensive as a system you linked above.

Sample magazine: http://www.edocker.com/_demo/edocker-online-demo/index.html

For iPad/tablet publishing, Adobe DPS is very good solution. But if you have to create more than just few publications, it may become quite expensive (on the other hand, printing is quite expensive as well)

If you don´t necesserily need native iPad applications which have to be distributed via AppStore, you might be interested in new eDocker Tablet Publisher. It creates very Adobe DPS like iPad/tablet publications from InDesign, but uses html5 and creates so called web apps instead of native apps. You can distribute web-apps via your own server. For end user they work pretty much same way than native apps.

Combination of eDocker2 and eDocker Tablet Publisher will cost around 1000USD/one user and 2000USD/5 users, and that´s a flat fee, which means you can use them as much as you like without any limitations. eDocker Tablet Publisher is going to be released and web-page for it will be opened soon... you can download a pdf about that product at:

http://www.edocker.com/edTPpres_eng.pdf