2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2011 12:04 AM by 420jammer

Graph Editor Problems

420jammer Level 1

I'm trying to edit the speed of spatial keyframes in the graph editor.

At key frame in particular (the second one shown), the speed drops to 0, and while I want the speed to drop, I do not want it to drop all the way to 0.

I tried selecting the little square with the selection tool and dragging it up a bit, but it just creates a new keyframe I can drag up and down the curve, it won't move the original one itself.

This is really annoying me, I know what I'm trying to do with the graph, I just can't make it work correctly.  I tried reading Adobe's documentation, and it seems I should be able to drag that second keyframe with no issue. 

Screen shot 2011-10-24 at 6.44.43 PM.png

• 1. Re: Graph Editor Problems
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure you should be editing the speed graph. Speed graphs are very hard to understand. You should be able to grab the square box and move the speed up or down.

Try editing the value graphs. If you want constant motion between keyframes you need to be changing the keyframe in the middle to a rove across time keyframe.

It would also help if you would show the reference graphs and tell us what property you're animating. I'm guessing that it's not position. In fact I have no idea what you're trying to do or even if you're trying to edit the speed graph because we can't see enough of your graph editor. Show us something like this:

Screen Shot 2011-10-24 at 7.58.18 PM.png

• 2. Re: Graph Editor Problems
            420jammer Level 1

Okay, I ended up rekeying it and it solved the issue.

The problem is that I'm used to working with bezier curves in the context of paths, so I failed to understand that the time constraints of the animation intrinsically change other areas of the curve, if that makes sense.  Once that concept clicked with me, I found I was able to work with the graph display much better.

I'll keep your advice in mind about focusing on value graphs rather than speed graphs.   In this particular case, I was solely interested in the speed of a camera zoom over time, so it ended up being the graph that I needed control over.

I sent you a PM earlier, dunno if you got it, but if not: thank you for your guidance.  Between your responses to my questions, as well as your responses to others' questions that I found from searching, you've accelerated and deepened my understanding of AE.