10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2011 9:54 PM by vveros

Help with rendering

vveros

Hi there!

I'm filming a rather lengthy project in AVCHD and after editing it in after effects am trying to find the best method to render it so that it stays at a small filesize but retains the quality.

So far the best i've found is using quicktime with the H264 codec...would there be a better way?

Sorry if i've "worded" anything weird as i'm quite new when it comes to AE

• 1. Re: Help with rendering
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Do not use the QuickTime H.264 codec. It is a terrible codec, with many problems (including gamma shifts, poor compression, and various stability issues).

To be clear, this is not a problem with QuickTime as a whole or with other H.264 codecs: just the specific QuickTime H.264 codec.

What exactly do you intend to do with this file? The answer to that question will dictate what export settings to choose, including codec and format.

See this:

"FAQ: What is the best format for rendering and exporting from After Effects?"

By the way, since you're new to After Effects, I very strongly recommend that you work your way through these materials:

"Getting started with After Effects"

Doing so will prevent a lot of frustration.

• 2. Re: Help with rendering
            vveros Level 1

"What exactly do you intend to do with this file? The answer to that question will dictate what export settings to choose, including codec and format."

Thanks for replying...what I have is a lot of shots, all filmed AVCHD. What I would really like to be able to do is put the shots together to make scenes and eventually have it all able to fit on a blank dvd disc. With the filesize that i'm getting with the quicktime H264 however, I don't think that's possible at the moment.

So what i'd be looking for is the best way to render these scenes to a small filesize but keep the quality almost untouched...enough so that it could possibly fit on a blank dvd.

I hope that made sense!

• 3. Re: Help with rendering
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

But what do you intend to do with those files that you're trying to fit onto a DVD?

Will you be uploading them to Vimeo?

Will you be showing them to a client for approval of colors? Timing? Quality of keying?

Will you be bringing them into another post-production tool for color keying? Adding titles?

Again, I recommend that you read/watch the items linked to from here:

"FAQ: What is the best format for rendering and exporting from After Effects?"

> So what i'd be looking for is the best way to render these scenes to a small filesize but keep the quality almost untouched.

There is no such thing. If you want "untouched" quality, you will have large files. Knowing exactly what you need these files for will help us to recommend the right codec and such to make the necessary tradeoff between quality and file size.

• 4. Re: Help with rendering
                vveros Level 1

What I intended to do was edit the shots to what I want in AE, then render them to be used in a Premiere project or another similar program. It's a personal project for myself.

I would like the rendered shots to be of a small size since I have so many of them and using them the size they are now would become unbearable!

I just thought of something (a stupid question most likely hah) but is it possible to render the shots into a more standard def that would lower the filesize and not do too much of a hit to the quality?

Thank you again for replying

• 5. Re: Help with rendering
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you are intending to use the files in another post-production program (like Premiere Pro), you want to use lossless compression. These will not be small files.

Sorry, but that's a reality of working with video.

If this is a personal project and you don't care about the quality of the final result, then go ahead and try to make these intermediate files small. But in real projects, you absolutely must use lossless compression (and therefore large files) to go between post-production applications.

In the FAQ entry that I've already pointed you to a couple of times, there are suggestions for lossless compression types.

• 6. Re: Help with rendering
                    vveros Level 1

Okay, I think I understand what you're saying now...I think.

So if I use lossless compression for AE, put it into Premiere and then rendered it there...would it be the same filesize or bigger/smaller?

• 7. Re: Help with rendering
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>  So if I use lossless compression for AE, put it into Premiere and then rendered it there...would it be the same filesize or bigger/smaller?

The size of the file out of Premiere Pro depends on what settings you choose when you export from Premiere Pro.

See this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878590

The thing to keep in mind is that you never, never use lossy compression until you are ready to create your final files for distribution. For all intermediate stages, use lossless compression.

Again, unless you want to throw away quality at every step, you need to give up on the idea of using small files except for final delivery.

• 8. Re: Help with rendering
                        vveros Level 1

Oh ok I think I get it now!

So you use lossless all the way through the editing - then you use the lossy compression right at the end?

• 9. Re: Help with rendering
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Yes.

• 10. Re: Help with rendering
                            vveros Level 1

Excellent!

Thank you for your help Todd!