5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2011 9:32 AM by tmooney

PC specs for HD editing

tmooney

I would like to edit some projects that were shoot in AVCHD. I currently use FCP but I would like to work at home on my PC and I am not sure if the computer has enough speed to do what I need to do. The projects are mostly theatre plays so they are 2hrs or more and I want the ability to export in 16 x 9 for a DVD master. My PC is older; it's a dual core 2.66 with 4meg of RAM. Is that enough to work with longer projects. Thanks.

• 1. Re: PC specs for HD editing
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

We usually recommend a quad core or i7 processor for editing AVCHD. However, Macs work a bit more efficiently. So, at least with version 10, you may be able to get by -- assuming your project is set up correctly.

But on a PC, I'd still recommend a quad core or i7.

• 2. Re: PC specs for HD editing
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Aimed at CS5, but This message has a really good graphic about requirements

CS5 Requirements http://forums.adobe.com/thread/810750?tstart=0

• 3. Re: PC specs for HD editing
              tmooney Level 1

Good chart. Things are different with the Mac's. Will probably need a new PC down the road. Thanks again.

• 4. Re: PC specs for HD editing
                jeffgedgaud Level 1

The system requirements from Adobe call for a 2GHz or faster and Dual Core is recommended for the higher resolution video but you will definetely need something better than a dual core and 2GHz processor. I found a four core is a minimum for video editing and closer to 3 GHz is better for faster rendering. Memory is also important and if possible more than 4 GB is nice to use for rendering and editing, a 64 bit operating system will give you the ability to use more than 4 GB of memory.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements/tech-specs.html

The chart does not really give specifics but the eight core is overshooting it in my opinion unless your going to be building a video editing machine. You can build a system specifically for video editing but as you are only purchasing Elements I would recommend a good computer with a quad core processor at or close to 3GHz and at least 4 GB of Memory.

A lot of people on this forum like to give information that does not coincide with people editing video as a hobby, they give a lot of information geared toward the professional and can often forget that people using Premiere Elements are not going to be designing a computer for thier video editing when their only paying a hundred or less for the editing program.

• 5. Re: PC specs for HD editing
                  tmooney Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I have FCP on a MAC at work for anything involved but this is for me to do some small stuff at the house. I need to assemble a timeline and export for DVD, very little editing involved. I will make sure that I get at least a Quad Core which should be safe. I can find one used.