11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2011 5:33 AM by Peter Spier

Where can I get Indesign CS5?

Kerridge2011

Hi

my employer has CS5 installed on their PC's - which they bought online.  I now need to instal it on a laptop so that I can work off site and as they have no discs I can't do it easily.  Where do I get a copy of CS5 from?  Upgarding all of them to CS5.5 is not an option.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Where can I get Indesign CS5?
          Michael Gianino Level 4

The thing about downloaded copies is that they are the same as the copies you buy on disk. Both are fully functional, but require a code to unlock them. The code is printed on the disk copy, and is sent to you if you download a copy. Presumably, Adobe still has CS5 on their server, so if you ask them directly, they may send it to you via FTP or give you a link to download another copy. You would then use the same code to load it onto your laptop that you used to load it onto your desktop, because the EULA says it's OK (as long as you don't use both copies at the same time, but you couldn't if your desktop is at the office, and the laptop is offsite, so you're OK). If you don't still have the code to unlock the software, explain that to them and they will probably give it to you as well. Of course, that is dependent on whether they can verify that you are the registered owner of the serial number you provide them for your copy of CS5.

I got a download copy of CS3 several years back, and I burned the installer to DVD before I installed it, so if I need to wipe my computer, I can get it back on. If Adobe sends you another download installer (which I think they will), you should consider doing the same.

Kerridge2011 wrote:

Upgarding all of them to CS5.5 is not an option.

Thanks

All of them? I thought you just need one copy for your laptop?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Where can I get Indesign CS5?
            Kerridge2011 Level 1

Thanks Michael.  I'll get in touch with Adobe and see if I can get a copy of it - and see if my employer can track down the registration code (I wonder if I can find it in the installed version).  Yes I just need one copy for my computer - what I meant was that CS5 is on 3 other desktops so the cost of upgrading for a convenience is just not in their budget! ;o)

• 3. Re: Where can I get Indesign CS5?
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What happened to the download installer? Did nobody back it up?

That said, there are license restrictions here. You can’t just put the software on as many computers as you’d like.

Each serial number can be activated twice but with the provision that it be done for one person and that it won’t be used on both machines simultaneously.

Bob

• 4. Re: Where can I get Indesign CS5?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If the software was registered, the registered owner can retrieve the serial number online at Adobe.com by logging in and going to the Adobe Store and "My Account" to view their registered products. If you can locate the downloaded installer and installer meet the license restrictions Bob mentioned, you should then be good to go.

• 5. Re: Where can I get Indesign CS5?
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

What happened to the download installer? Did nobody back it up?

You should still be able to re-download it from Adobe in any case!

With respect to:

Where do I get a copy of CS5 from?  Upgarding all of them to CS5.5 is not an option.

You buy CS5.5 through Adobe Volume Licensing (aka the Adobe Business Store; no minimum purchase requirements!) and request a prior-version license (aka downgrade). See http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/volumelicensing/policies/ for more information.

• 6. Re: Where can I get Indesign CS5?

I’m not so sure about that, John. Adobe is under no obligation to make downloads available indefinitely.

That’s not to say it’s not worth looking into.

Bob

• 7. Re: Where can I get Indesign CS5?

If you have the serial number and all else fails, it's still possible to download the trial through this link, I think: Download Adobe CS4 and CS3 Free Trials Here (incl. After Effects) | ProDesignTools

Thre's no difference in the download -- just enter the S/N to activate.

• 8. Re: Where can I get Indesign CS5?
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

Bob:

I’m not so sure about that, John. Adobe is under no obligation to make downloads available indefinitely.

Well, I'm not sure whether they're under any obligation to do so (I guess we'd have to go read contracts), but they certainly do make them available indefinitely. At least to me. I suppose it might depend on whether you were a volume license customer or not, but I don't think so, since ultimately all the downloads turn into esd.adobe.com URLs if you look hard enough at them. That is, they all come from the same place.

• 9. Re: Where can I get Indesign CS5?

There have been a lot of “complaints” especially in the CS forums about not being able to download earlier versions. I suspect your access is indeed because of your volume license.

In any event, there’s no excuse for not having a backup of something this valuable.

Bob

• 10. Re: Where can I get Indesign CS5?
                            McQuack

Dear Anyone who can help,

I have had a similar problem this week and would appreciate any help. My organisation bought InDesign CS5 in Jan 2011, but has since lost the disk. This is our fault, and we're willing to pay admin/cover costs for a new disk. I have been on the phone to Adobe customer services, but they tell us we can neither recieve a new disk nor download it from their site, as it has since been updated. I understand their logic, but surely this is not the first time this has happened. What about customer service for older products? Especially if updates happen frequently. Also - maybe more importantly - we're all broke right now and after spending a BUCKETload of our budget on InDesign it would feel nice if we were looked after, without Adobe coercing us into the constant consumerism that led us to be broke in the first place. CS5 will do just fine, we can't afford to update! Is there any way I can ask someone to reconsider their policy? Any good ideas?

• 11. Re: Where can I get Indesign CS5?

See the link I posted above for downloading the trial versions. There is no difference and you will be able to enter your serial number (which can be recovered from your account at Adobe.com if you registered the software).

You must follow the diections on that page EXACTLY or it will not work.