8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2011 11:31 PM by Michael Gianino

Book layout - set preferences to avoid single lines at top of page

luca del carlo Level 1

How does one control the manner that text flows into a book layout so that single lines from the end of a paragraph do not appear at the top of a page?

I've already done a great deal of the formating, so not sure if reflowing the text makes sense now. If possible, how can the single hanging lines be dealt with now?

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Book layout - set preferences to avoid single lines at top of page
          Michael Gianino Level 4

Use the Keep Options. If you use paragraph styles (which is a very good idea), there is a tab for keep options. If you want to do it locally (not so good), you will find keep options in the fly-out of the paragraph pannel (Type>Paragraph, and click the triangle at the top right of the window for the fly-out).

You can set a minimum number of lines at the beginning or end of a paragraph. If (for example) you had four lines of a paragraph at the bottom of the left column and one line at the top of the right, you could set the keep options to two at the end of the paragraph, and the fourth line would jump up to join the fifth. Should enough space be made available for all five lines in the left column, the two at the top of the right would jump back together, rather than one at a time.

• 2. Re: Book layout - set preferences to avoid single lines at top of page
            luca del carlo Level 1

I've tried numerous configurations to avoid an extra space occurring at the bottom of a page while keeping at least 2 lines together at the end of any paragraph at the start of the next page. No success as of yet. It's not happening in every instance, the extra space at the bottom, but frequently. There must be a way to fill out the page and yet keep at least 2 lines together at the end of any paragraph starting at the top of a new page.

• 3. Re: Book layout - set preferences to avoid single lines at top of page
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What you want is a third-party plugin that will do the text-flow work for you. Look at in-tools' AutoLayout Suite.

• 4. Re: Book layout - set preferences to avoid single lines at top of page
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

luca del carlo wrote:

I've tried numerous configurations to avoid an extra space occurring at the bottom of a page while keeping at least 2 lines together at the end of any paragraph at the start of the next page. No success as of yet. It's not happening in every instance, the extra space at the bottom, but frequently. There must be a way to fill out the page and yet keep at least 2 lines together at the end of any paragraph starting at the top of a new page.

As far as I know, the ONLY way that will happen is if you use vertical justification to vary the spacing between lines or paragraphs. If there was enough space to hold all the lines except one, when you force ID to move the second-to-last line to the next page to honor the keep option there is no choice but to have empty space equivalent to that line. It can either be at the bottom of the page, or distributed through the whole page.

• 5. Re: Book layout - set preferences to avoid single lines at top of page
                  luca del carlo Level 1

I think this should perhaps be more simple, achieving what I'm seeking by using some manner of kerning. I wish to layout a book in a relatively normal fashion, which would avoid any hanging sentences. I suppose line spacing might not be the optimal way to do this, but rather this would best be done by automated kerning?

• 6. Re: Book layout - set preferences to avoid single lines at top of page
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you suggesting there should be some automated way to adjust tracking or kerning to increase or decrease the line count in a paragraph by one line? I don't think you would like the result 100% of the time.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Book layout - set preferences to avoid single lines at top of page
                      luca del carlo Level 1

"when you force ID to move the second-to-last line to the next page to honor the keep option there is no choice but to have empty space equivalent to that line. It can either be at the bottom of the page, or distributed through the whole page."

By "distributed throughout the whole page" does this mean that the page is filled up without a missing line space? That is what I would like to see, how is that done? It's not happening automatically, as I'm getting a blank line space at the bottom of the preceding page.

Thank you.

• 8. Re: Book layout - set preferences to avoid single lines at top of page
                        Michael Gianino Level 4

This adjustment must be made to the text frame. Select the text frame,  go to Object>Text Frame Options, and set the Vertical Justification to Justify. Keep in mind that, as Peter said, if you have space in your text frame for 20 lines of text, but you only have enough text for 19, you can either have a blank space at the bottom of the text frame, or (if you use vertical justify), you distribute that blank line across all of the gaps between lines on the page. As a result, there will be more space between lines, and this may cause a visual difference between two pages on a spread (the top line of text will be on the same baseline for both pages, but as you go down the page, they will start to get farther apart). To some, that looks worse than a blank space at the bottom of the page. Which of these two situations you prefer is up to you.