2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2011 10:40 AM by Rick Gerard

Stabilizing footage then tracking for 3D compositing

Mark DAth

Hi. I am working on a project where I want to stabilize 4K red footage and then crop in on this footage reframing the shots. Then tracking this cropped footage in a seperate program and compositing 3D models into the footage. Is this the right way to do this?

Problems I am having... Tracking software not creating clean track of stabilised cropped footage. But because the footage is 4K red I do not want to track and comp in 3D models before stabilizing. Because render times on 3D would be to big to output at 4k.

Am I missing something here... Should me work flow be different?

Thanks for any help.

Also does the warp stabilizer actually warp the footage? Could this be affecting my tracking?

• 1. Re: Stabilizing footage then tracking for 3D compositing
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Also does the warp stabilizer actually warp the footage? Could this be affecting my tracking?

Yes and yes.

Is this the right way to do this?

No, it isn't. By warping and cropping the footage you make the 3D tracking think it would be operating on a different lens with variable zoom, resulting in a completely whacked out camera solve. Hence your problems. For what you have in mind, Warp Stabilizer is the wrong tool to begin with. If any stabilization is required, you do it based on the solved 3D camera which can be anything from smoothing the track in the matchmoving software to doing the same in AE after your 3D stuff  has been rendered. And nobody asks you to render at 4k. As long as the proportions and aspect ratio are retained, you can do your 3D renders at any res or scale the scene to fit.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Stabilizing footage then tracking for 3D compositing
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You want to 3D track first, add your CGI, then stabilize and crop. You're working backwards. If the shots must be stabilized first because of excessive camera movement then you want to stabilize only, not warp stabilize. If the camera zooms (all zoom lenses should require a license to operate) then your job is even more difficult.