• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I configure Robohelp to display search results in DHTML drop-down hotspots?

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2011 Oct 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. We designed our online help using drop-down hotspots (this look is much cleaner to us). Problem is, when a user searches for something and clicks the Search results topic page  to find the information, the topic page displays, but does not expand the drop-down hotspot to show the exact location of the searched item. Is there a JavaScript or some other solution to get the DHTML hotspot to expand, showing the information? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 25, 2011 Oct 25, 2011

Hi and welcome to the community,

Which version of RoboHelp are you using? What is your output?

For WebHelp in RH8/9, see http://www.wvanweelden.eu/robohelp/skinning_webhelp/expand_dropdowns_and_expandspots_for_search_results

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and welcome to the community,

Which version of RoboHelp are you using? What is your output?

For WebHelp in RH8/9, see http://www.wvanweelden.eu/robohelp/skinning_webhelp/expand_dropdowns_and_expandspots_for_search_resu...

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'm using RH9. The output is WebHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2011 Oct 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 5: Add the code from the supplied text file to the top whtopic.js.

Do I add the code at the very beginning, before   //   WebHelp 5.10.005  ?

I'm asking because I followed the steps and it did not work.

FWIW, I am also using the Twisties function in Robohelp (via the drop-down hotspot style file).

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2011 Oct 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can add the functions at the very beginning or the very end of whtopic.js. The Twisties function is fully supported and should work.

What browser and version are you using? Do you receive an error message?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2011 Oct 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Firefox 4.0.1 and IE8. I don't get an error message. After I ran a build and deployed online help from our server (we no longer use SVN), I tested it out in Firefox and IE.

I entered text in the Search box, clicked Go, and got results for it. I clicked a search result and the topic page opened. None of the hotspots (that included results) were expanded.

Regards,

Rita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2011 Dec 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William,

It's been about a month since I originally asked this question (had to reprioritize some tasks)... I still cannot get this to work. I added the script to the whtopic.js file in the Output folder. I even removed the twisties to make sure that was not the issue, but no luck.

What could I be doing wrong?

Rita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We solved the problem. There were some problems with the project, but it works now.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick follow-up, William: it works beautifully! Thank you for the code and the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!!

I know this question was answered long ago for RH8/9. How can I get MY version of RoboHelp to hyperlink to text within a DHTML drop-down hotspot? I'm desperately trying NOT to revert to non-drop-down hotspots, as I have multiple dozens of them across dozens of  FAQs topics. The topic pages will become VERY large. But since we're moving towards creating more discoverable content, this current setup is no longer working for us.

RH version: 2017

RH Output: Responsive HTML5

Any other information you need?

Thank you so much!!

--Tabby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a link to the answer but it is not working now. I have contacted the site owner to see if it will still work in later versions and, if so, to post the answer or a link.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! Looking forward to your solution.

--Tabby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really had to dive deep there. Here's what I found in my archive: a script for Responsive HTML5 and one for WebHelp. Both scripts must be referenced in the topic that contains the anchor (bookmark). You can use a master page for that.

Haven't had a question on this in years so I removed it some time ago.

Dropbox - Linking to a Dropdown.zip

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Willam,

Appreciate the response, but I've decided weeks ago NOT to use DHTML after all. I needed to get a project done and could not wait. May look into using this for a different project.

The new look for my expanded out FAQs is growing on me. I added a mini-TOC to the very top of each topic for quick access.

Thanks so much!

--Tabby W.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp