7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2011 7:05 PM by rontiara

Hyperlinks don't work when exporting to epub in CS5.5

rontiara Level 1

I just upgraded to CS5.5 from CS4, and am still trying to upgrade my brain.

I have a book that has many images in it, and each image is numbered Fig 1, Fig 2, etc.  In an epub, I want the reader to be able to click or tap on the words in the text (i.e, "Fig 1", etc.) and jump from the text to the related image.

Perhaps I'm misreading the instructions, but I set up the words in the text as a hyperlink destination (although that sounds backwards to me; I would think the image, not the text, should be the destination).  Then I made the image I was referencing a hyperlink.

As a test, I exported only one chapter to an epub.  But in the epub, if I click on the words "Fig 1", nothing happens.  Nor does anything happen when I click on the image itself.

I have these images set up as anchored objects also; is there a conflict there?

I also started getting an error message during the export process that says three of the four images cannot be found -- but all of the images are in the same folder.  If it can find one, it should be able to find the rest.

• 1. Re: Hyperlinks don't work when exporting to epub in CS5.5
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I believe you DO have it backward....

• 2. Re: Hyperlinks don't work when exporting to epub in CS5.5
            rontiara Level 1

But if I do have the destination/link backwards, clicking on the image should take me back to the text.  It doesn't happen either way.

• 3. Re: Hyperlinks don't work when exporting to epub in CS5.5
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I know very little of epub wrangling, but consider that your understanding of hyperlink source/destination may well be completely separate from the failure of your links to work in your target epub. You can check this by exporting something that is not an epub (say, a PDF?) and you can check whether or not your link works there.

• 4. Re: Hyperlinks don't work when exporting to epub in CS5.5
                rontiara Level 1

I could do that, but I'm not sure what good it would do.  I'm not interested in pdf exporting at this point; I'm interested in epub exporting, and the links don't work in epubs.  From what I've seen in the forum, I'm not the only one with this problem -- but apparently not everybody has the problem, so it must be system-specific.

Does the fact that I'm running Win XP have anything to do with it?  I wouldn't think it would, but I'm getting really frustrated.

• 5. Re: Hyperlinks don't work when exporting to epub in CS5.5
                  E Diane King Level 2

I haven't done figure to image and back, but I have done footnoting successfully in ID CS5.5. You do have to do it both ways, however. You can create a cross reference or hyperlink but it has to go both ways.  There has to be a link to the image (with the image as the destination) and a link back to the text (with the figure text as a destination).  This allows you to jump to the image and click to jump back to the text.  It does work in ID CS5.5, but as far as I know, it never has worked correctly in ID CS5 (especially with book files), so make sure you are in the correct version. When I upgraded to CS5, I had to do my epubs in CS4 because the links would not export correctly, but I have been succesfully outputting links in CS5.5. 

I believe what Joel was suggesting was that you could export to PDF to test to make sure the hyperlinks actually worked the way you have them set up, and that it wasn't the epub export that was messing up.  If the epub export is failing to export them correctly, than they will work in the PDF. If they don't work in the PDF, then you are setting up the links wrong and it isn't the epub export that is at fault.

• 6. Re: Hyperlinks don't work when exporting to epub in CS5.5
                    wjnp2000 Level 2

I think that the problem is the mark of anchor, so try this: insert a number next to the figure, paint with white and do hyperlink on the number.

when you export the hyperlink will work, it's a little way to do. It shows a little underline after the figure.

Wagner

• 7. Re: Hyperlinks don't work when exporting to epub in CS5.5
                      rontiara Level 1

I finally figured it out:

It is not possible to use an image as a destination.  The only way to do it is to add a description in text to the image, and group the two together.  Then the hyperlink will go from the reference in the body of the text to the description attached to the image.  It doesn't go to the image itself.

Seems sort of strange to me that images can't be destinations; they can be in regular HTML encoding, which is really what epub pages are.

At least I figured it out.  I hope this helps someone else.