4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2011 3:14 PM by Peter Spier

Cannot Relink an Object

luca del carlo Level 1

I'm working with an object in ID that is no longer linked to its source. I don't have the ability to link them, yet the image is visible in the document - which I would think would be fine. As long as I can see it, it's there.  Will I be able to print to postscript file without the link there?

This comment likely reveals a poor grasp of how links in ID work altogether.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Cannot Relink an Object
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That’s nothing but a low res proxy image and will print very poorly.

As for printing to postscript, the less said about that the better. It’s a horribly outdated process.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cannot Relink an Object
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you saying you see a link in the panel, but cannot update, or something else? If that's what you are saying, WHY don't you have the ability to update or link?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Cannot Relink an Object
              luca del carlo Level 1

The image is visible and the corresponding link shows in the panel, but I cannot relink ir (or update it, if that's the same meaning; there's a question mark in the panel saying "the linked file is missing"). The linked object was on another drive which is not available.

Just wondering - why cannot we see it still on the page, if it's not linked?

The resolution is high on it - there doesn't seem to be any issue there.

• 4. Re: Cannot Relink an Object
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Asd bob said, what you see on screen is just a preview proxy. When it is time for output ID finds the actual linked file and uses that. If the link is not available, the proxy is substituted. That would probably be adequate for screen disspaly in a pinch, but not for printed output. You need to locate the link.